• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MICKEY & US. Day 13 - Where's my pay check?

Poohshoney

<font color=6666CC>Ya-ya sister!<br><font color=gr
Carol (40, British) – dangerously Disney obsessed.
Roland (35, German) – puts up with me somehow.

Mickey – our beanie, on his first trip `home´.

Friday 3 May 2002

I packed. Mickey, Moose and Figment wrote a last note to Judy G, thanking her for taking care of them. We had a last lingering stroll and then we left. Sigh.
We left the luggage in the car whilst we checked in at AKL. We weren't impressed by the check in staff at all. Roland stays in a lot of hotels and he said they were well under par. They were too busy gossiping to deal with guests and when they did, the smile didn’t reach their eyes.
It was obvious that our letter had landed in the round filing cabinet on the floor as our original requests were still in the computer. I felt uncomfortable explaining this to her, like a child in front of the headmistress. As a former teacher this was a weird feeling! The only time the CM smiled genuinely was when I said we’d looked round when we went to Boma and hoped we’d get a view of the main savannah – the one where Arusha Rock is. Her face lit up as she agreed with us that it was the best. And then the mystery commenced – why did she try to make us take another savannah? She said we’d been allocated a room and showed us the area - exactly where we’d hoped for – but then tried to talk us into somewhere else. I was so glad we’d had a good reccy on our previous visits – we knew that this savannah had a big enclosure for guests in case of fire and we didn’t think the selection of animals was as good. And (even worse for us) there was a strong smell from the kitchens. That’s not as pleasant as it might sound even though we loved the food. First she pushed a second floor room at us and then a third floor one. I said no to both and she wasn't at all happy with me for doing so.
Our room (the one we’d already been allocated) wasn’t ready yet so she gave us housekeeping’s number. We wandered round for a bit and then tried ringing them. It was engaged so we drove the car up to the lobby and handed the luggage over to Bell Services. The man who took it was just awful. He hung sir or madam on the end of every sentence but his tone and demeanour were just so rude. Roland and I did the married bit again; an exchange of looks showed we were agreed - no tip! I'll tip indifferent service but I'm darned if I'm going to tip downright bad service.
Then we wandered round a little more – we got some great animal photos from over by the pool – and looked round the shop. Roland really liked a mug he’d seen at Animal Kingdom so we were pleased to see AKL had it as well. Less hassle if we got it there.
I'd tried housekeeping a couple of times by then and it was always engaged. As we wanted to leave I asked at the desk if our room was ready. No. I asked if the tone I kept getting when I rang housekeeping meant it was engaged (different countries have different tones) and the girl looked at me as if I shouldn’t be out walking the streets on my own. My lack of intelligence was obviously confirmed when I asked her what our reference code was – it said on my piece of paper that I had to tell housekeeping it in order to be told our room number but that bit was a blank. The CM said, very slowly, that it was the last four digits of my phone number. And she wrote them down for me as I obviously hadn’t got two brain cells to rub together and couldn’t be expected to know them otherwise. I can't believe I didn't snarl at her but I didn't. I think I was too busy worrying what our room was going to be like. I certainly didn't have any faith left in the AKL staff. And then Roland made it all right again. As we were going to the bus stop he squeezed my hand and told me how proud he was of me. I was so surprised. He said they’d all been so awful and I'd dealt with them so well. So that was me floating on air again!
The buses at AKL were the best we had. Forget the fact that it's so far away from things – it only has one bus stop so once you're on, you're there in no time. Even MK is less than quarter of an hour away. And there are far less bums trying to get seats so the buses are less crowded too.
It was going up to 12 when we arrived at the Animal Kingdom. Oh yes I almost forgot – it was the record heat day today: in the hottest park. You just can’t plan for some things, can you!
We headed for Flights of Wonder first. We like bird shows and we've seen some good ones. We weren’t disappointed though I have to say – I thought the rats were the best! A cameo scene-stealer.
We went up to the safari for a FP but it was a walk on so that’s just what we did. We decided we wouldn't take any photos this time so that we both got a good look at everything. We were very surprised by the number of animals out despite the mid-day heat. The CM was just as good if not better than last time but he didn't slow down for photo opportunities at all so I was glad I'd taken them last time. And do you know what – Big Red and Little Red were captured – AGAIN! By the same poachers! I thought an elephant never forgets….
When we were walking out at the end, one of the CMs pointed at our Mickey and shouted, “Hey Mickey, where’s my pay check?” I shouted back that he was a British Mickey and only paid in pounds. “That’s ok,” she shouted, “Ours only pays peanuts!”
We tried Tusker House for a quick bite this time – very good idea! My chicken strips with potato wedges were excellent but we can’t for the life of us remember what Roland had – just that it was good! We liked the atmosphere as well. It was very cool and calming in there, perfect after all that heat.
But back into the heat we went, along the Pangani Trail. I WANT a naked mole rat! There was this one who was even cuter than the others – he kept trying to get up his little burrow and slipping back. It took him ages but he managed – ever seen a naked mole rat smile?
Then I saw the desert rat thingies and wanted them too. And then I saw the meerkats, took millions of photos and added them to my wish list. Purleeese Roland! Roland just smiled patiently; he knows I'll see sense eventually. And then he holds my hand in solace.
This is a nice walk with plenty to look at but we ended up saying the same thing as we had with the Maharajah Trek – we really must come back earlier in the day next time, when it’s cooler. But there wasn’t a next time on this holiday unfortunately.
There were a couple of gorillas out but they were quite a way away and in the shade (intelligent animals) so we didn't see much of them.
We did a few shops and then looked for a shady spot for the parade. Roland was wilting badly by this time so it needed to be as shady as possible. We passed lots of benches with two people on them. Invariably, the two people had spread themselves out so that they took up the whole bench. We fitted another three people on ours, no problem. A couple with a boy in a kind of wheelchair I'd never seen before (he was lying down) came and stood behind us. The man went off to get them chairs and came back carrying just one. He told his wife there was only one – and then he sat down on it! Roland would NEVER have been so unchivalrous. His wife looked tiredly at him and then went off and eventually came back with one for herself. I was glad she'd found one but her husband didn't seem to care.
Mickey’s Jammin' Jungle Parade turned out to be our favourite parade; it was so full of life and colour! It combined elements of the other three parks’ parades and it did it so well. I got some really good photos too. My favourite is from when we followed the end of the parade – Mickey’s waving right at me! Or maybe he’s waving right at our Mickey…. Whatever – it’s a great photo!
Roland had had enough now so we made our way out - via as many shops as possible of course! And I got some of our best AK photos too - of the birds and animals lining the paths.
Back at AKL there was a long queue at the check in desks so I called housekeeping for our room number. Guess what? Do they take the phones off the hook or something? There was a man at the end of check in at a desk of his own – and he wasn't doing anything. I can’t remember what the sign in front of him said he was because I didn't really care – any CM doing nothing's all right by me! We made a beeline for him – we only needed our room number, could he possibly help? Course he could – he was the nicest man there! We were still on the second floor (room 2501), just as the check in CM had said. That was good then.
Our hearts in our mouths, we moved down the corridor to our room. The first surprise is that we were near the lift. I'd never put two able-bodied adults by a lift; I'd save that for those who can't walk. Roland put the key in the door, we looked at each other, then he opened the door – and it was perfect!
It had two beds, just like we really wanted and it had the best view! It was as if all the animals had come out to say welcome. There were giraffes, zebras, elands, gemsboks, ankole cattle, geese and wildebeest right there in front of us! I couldn't get the camera out quick enough. The giraffe took the best photo – there was a feeding box on a tree (on almost every photo I took the giraffe has his head stuck in it – it might as well be a stuffed animal for all the action going on!) We watched the animals for a while and then they slowly wandered away. They did this every evening around that time so we presume there was a reason. We grabbed the opportunity to get our act together in case they came back soon.
A spot of room exploration first – top marks here. Spotless and very nicely done. I loved the lamps. I can see why people complained that it's too dark but we liked it; it added a definite flair. And we'd both rather have that wattage than the glaring light you get in some places. We didn't like the fact that the lights were only controlled from a centre panel – it had been at CBR and Riverside as well but we'd hoped a deluxe would be better.
Roland thought the air conditioning was wonderful at first – he couldn’t imagine how anyone could have any trouble with it. But of course we did. We could never find the right temperature – it swiftly became either too hot or too cold. Roland did a lot of cursing about the fact that it was in Fahrenheit. If anybody from the government’s reading this, could you please change the system to Celsius as soon as poss. I like Roland to be kept happy.
I rang for Bell Services then – the man arrived in about 60 seconds, or less - and then we couldn’t get rid of him. He just wouldn’t go; he moved right into the room, asked us where we were from, chatted about it, talked about the weather, tried to demonstrate the TV and find the German channel – we told him we’d already found it. And still he talked. Delivering our bags took all of ten seconds – we were travelling light remember – but he was still there several minutes later. It wouldn’t have surprised us if he’d sat down. Roland eventually shoved his money at him and that moved towards the door, which more or less worked. Was he just over-friendly or was he after a bigger tip? We’ll never know.
I unpacked – what a surprise! I hate living out of suitcases. The animals were still awol so we dashed off to Goodings for emergency supplies (read this as we’d run out of bagels and cream cheese). I bought a Dove chocolate bar – purely for research purposes you understand. I wanted to be able to tell Nancy whether US Dove Chocolate and UK Galaxy chocolate, both made by Mars, taste the same. No they don’t. The Dove was nice but we much prefer Galaxy. We wanted to do the same test on Ritter Sport chocolate but as it cost nearly SIX times what we pay here. Daylight robbery!
We rushed back with the goodies; the animals were just beginning to return so we nipped to Mara and got Roland a salad. Then we had a long and leisurely meal watching the beautiful animals from our own room. Bliss!
Dusk falls early in Florida so eventually we couldn’t see the animals very well. Seemed a good opportunity to wander round the hotel again, taking lots of interior photos this time. We checked out the savannah the CM had been pushing and we were right – it was just how we remembered. Roland told me again how pleased he was that I'd resisted the pressure. Happy wifey! But I can’t take all the credit for our wonderful location. I reckon it was Eliza’s comments on our booking forms that helped our dream come true. Thanks Eliza!
We slept very well that night apart from one thing. Now I've never heard this mentioned anywhere else but as it was definitely the case for us I thought I'd mention it now – the noise. We were worried people using the lifts would disturb us but that wasn't too bad. What woke me several times was the noise of the fans in the toilets and the flushing. As I said, I've never heard anyone else complain but as Roland heard it too it definitely wasn't my imagination. We were grateful for two things. Firstly, that we only had two neighbours and secondly, that we weren’t staying next to me.

Next, Day 14 – Do you want a soda with that?
:wave:

I'm so glad you got a great room. Kudos for standing your ground! The AKL staff sounds like it needs a good shaking. How did the "boys" like the new digs?
Looking forward to the next report.

LOL you'd have thought big red and little red would have learnt by now! cause they got caught twice when we were there.
We didn't see the parade in AK but I wish we had of done (oh well we'll just have to go back!).
I'm so jealous that you could see the animals from your room ..... one day when I'm rich I'll stay there (I can live in hope).
Do you have any of your photos on line?? would love to see them!

Katy

Hi Carol

Lucky you staying at AKL . . . one of my dreams.
I hope Mickey, Mr Moose and Figment all settled in ok:p

Do you make notes at the end of each day, or do you just have a really good memory when you get back to do these trip reports??
(in other words, g'is a hint for our trip;) )

Oh Carol.... and here I thought we were becoming friends!
would love to help Roland out, but I would either freeze or bake!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Great report
Peg;)

Nanajo, They spent the whole time (apart from Mickey when he was with us) watching the animals. I swear their smiles got bigger!
No Katy, we don’t have any photos online, sorry.
We got a good discount for AKL and then just stayed there the last three days. I dream of one day doing AKL concierge – I'm not that interested in concierge but I want to do the Sunrise Safari!
Well Twinnie – the plan was to take notes as I went along; that only worked for the first travel day. Then I thought I'd do them in the evening; that only worked for the first park day. There just wasn’t time! We ended up (and I couldn’t have done it on my own!) sitting down here with the park maps and going through the day. We’ve both got good memories but for different things. It worked out really well – it kept our holiday alive just a bit longer!
Kaylee, I think it was definitely one of the best – we saw so many animals!
We didn’t need the front desk after that Morven, what a relief! The shop CMs and the Mousekeepers were more than good!
Peg, you get used to it. I've lived with both and understand both – I know what’s hot and what’s cold but I can’t for the life of me translate them though!

I love the AK parade too. I watched it in Feb, and was really impressed. Not sure I can do it this next vacation in Aug though, because it will probably be just too hot. Your room at AKL sounds amazing. Maybe one day if we win the lottery we'll stay there!!!! Carolyn

I've been looking forward to hearing about your arrival at AKL, and your report told me everything I hoped to hear (well, apart from the attitude of some of the CM's:( ). It really does sound wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter