Mickey’s Toontown to be Reimagined 2023 - Closed beginning March 9, 2022

Oh man, I wonder WHEN in March they're closing it. I'm going with my 5- and 7-year-old finally (first time in 3 years) and we'll be there the first weekend in March. 😬 I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Oh man, I wonder WHEN in March they're closing it. I'm going with my 5- and 7-year-old finally (first time in 3 years) and we'll be there the first weekend in March. 😬 I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
I was just going to say the same thing! Lol Ours are a bit older, but we are also going for our first family trip the first week of March! I used to love Toontown as a kid, and was hoping to bring mine to see it, and takes cute pics! Crossing my fingers for both of us that they will close the following week 😂🤞🏻🤞🏻

I'm happy about this.

So does this mean Tomorrowland will be bulldozed and redone ~2023-2024+? That rumor has been floating for a while, and with Toontown down, this at least gives us a timeline of when it won't get done.

Interesting. I generally struggle with change but parts of Toontown have felt pretty sad for awhile. It feels like a collection of things that used to be fun - the trolley that no longer runs, the building that used to have the ball pit, etc. So, getting reworked to feel like a fully functional area instead of a bunch of vestiges of the '90's in varying degrees of continued functionality is probably an overall win. My one sadness is my son loved playing in Goofy's yard and that's been closed since the pandemic and I guess will likely never reopen to kids, at least not in its current form. I hope whatever comes next will be even better!

Oh, but they can gut Roger Rabbit for all I care. That ride has always felt out of place to me and I'd love to see them do something more relevant to today's kids.

I hope they get rid of the Chip and Dale treehouse or find a way to update/improve it. I was near a little kid who was the target age group and did not like it. I found it a major dissapointment too. You go up a flight of stairs, see a picture of Chip and Dale, and that's it.
The treehouse used to have a slide and a ball pit ... once those went away it lost its appeal as an "attraction"

Oh, but they can gut Roger Rabbit for all I care. That ride has always felt out of place to me and I'd love to see them do something more relevant to today's kids.

I wonder what they could reskin that ride to. I mean, they did acquire Fox, theoretically they can jam a Simpsons ride in there (hahah...before anyone jumps on me, I'm 150% kidding).

The treehouse used to have a slide and a ball pit ... once those went away it lost its appeal as an "attraction"

I read the Koenig book detailing many of the lawsuits through the years, and the slide/ball pit were a source of many claims (not as much as, say, Tom Sawyer's Island) -- each time, DL brass would pull back features until there was nothing left.

Same for the trolley, IIRC, there were visibility issues that posed liability concerns.

I don't know what it's like right now, but when I was there in August, it was DEAD. (At least dead for Disneyland standards.) There were no food stands open and you couldn't go to Mickey & Minnie's houses at that time. So people were basically hopping on and off the rides and getting the heck out. It was almost eerie, honestly!

I’m wondering the same as we’ll be there in a couple of weeks. Is it worth visiting at all or just skipping altogether? I understand you’re unable to enter character homes and not sure if any characters are there most of the day to see or just randomly popping up throughout the day.

Anyone there now or been there recently that could share?

I’m wondering the same as we’ll be there in a couple of weeks. Is it worth visiting at all or just skipping altogether? I understand you’re unable to enter character homes and not sure if any characters are there most of the day to see or just randomly popping up throughout the day.

Mickey and Minnie are frequently in front of their houses interacting with people. It’s fun and simple to interact with them and take photos. They alternate.

Mickey and Minnie are frequently in front of their houses interacting with people. It’s fun and simple to interact with them and take photos. They alternate.

I've also seen Goofy, Chip, Dale, Donald, Pluto and Marie in Toontown recently. Mickey and Minnie can appear at the same time although they are only sometimes close enough to each other to get a good picture with both of them at once in Toontown.

This information is from a trip right before the pandemic shut down the park. There's a ride for very little kids themed to Gadget from Rescue Rangers. Rodger Rabbit's Cartoon spin is only for someone who is a huge fan of the movie. In most dark rides even if you haven't seen the movie, you can figure out what's happening. If it I hadn't seen the movie, I would have been totally confused by the ride. I got my picture taken with Goofy who was standing outside.

I read somewhere that the Roger Rabbit ride is getting rethemed where Jessica Rabbit has started a detective agency. That's all I know about it except that people complained about her voluptuous look and now people are complaining that it's getting covered up with a trench coat LOL.

I read somewhere that the Roger Rabbit ride is getting rethemed where Jessica Rabbit has started a detective agency. That's all I know about it except that people complained about her voluptuous look and now people are complaining that it's getting covered up with a trench coat LOL.

If this is true, I have decidedly mixed feelings on this. I love the idea of a woman/female private investigator. I think Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries was an excellent series even if it wasn't on for many seasons. Remington Steele was fantastic. Moonlighting was amazing for the first three seasons.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is very much an homage to the old classic noir thrillers. It follows the plot and archetypes almost perfectly/to the letter. Jessica Rabbit is the very definition of a femme fatale. She is the mysterious woman at the center of and the focus of the investigation, before what seems like a simple case turns into something much more complicated. The femme fatale and the detective are two very different archetypes/characters.

I wouldn’t mind if they scrapped Roger Rabbit and completely rethemed it to maybe one of the fab five (Donald maybe? He has nothing in terms of attractions). As much as I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit when I was a kid it’s just not relevant to today’s kids in my opinion.

Not a fan of the area in the current state, hardly ever wanted to visit traveling there as a child. Now with the additions maybe I will have to give the area a second go

I wouldn’t mind if they scrapped Roger Rabbit and completely rethemed it to maybe one of the fab five (Donald maybe? He has nothing in terms of attractions). As much as I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit when I was a kid it’s just not relevant to today’s kids in my opinion.
Yes! My husband and I actually just had this conversation the other day where we said they need a Donald Duck themed attraction and that they should scrap Roger Rabbit.

That's a nice change. Toontown has been stale for awhile. Will be great for the little ones to have a place to run around and let off steam.

Totally agree. Having another entry/exit point as well would be lovely.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter