Meyer Werft to let go over 1/3 of their staff

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
I haven't seen any English news sites reporting on this, but it is on Dutch and German sites. Meyer Werft (Who are working on the new Disney ships) has to downsize. A lot.

Below a (google) translation of the Dutch news:
Dismissal round is looming at German cruise ship builder just across the border.
At the Meyer shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, 1,800 of the 4,500 jobs are in danger of being lost. The company, which specializes in the construction of cruise ships, is suffering a lot from the crisis in the travel industry. Many Dutch people also work at Meyer, just across the border. According to the company, a layoff round is inevitable because the demand for cruise vacations has completely collapsed.

According to the board, the number of dismissals can be limited if the works council (OR) approves a number of proposals.

The works council and the employees' union have broken off the discussions with the management, reports RTV Noord. They are angry because the company wants to work more with temporary workers, at the expense of the permanent staff.

But COVID might be a long reaching problem for Meyers..... Did any Lines cancel existing contracts? How many Lines placed new orders in 2020 or will in 2021.

Even once cruising starts up.... what is the market going to look like in a post-pandemic world? I know folks that can't wait to get back to living their lives and real vacations again. And I know folks that are trying to hold onto their homes, I don't see them returning to vacations anytime soon.

I think the domino's are falling, we just don't have any idea of the image they are creating just yet.

But Disney is a small specialized line that should weather this much better than some of the others. And who knows, maybe Meyers might give Disney a deal on building a fourth Triton for 2024 or 25?

There won't be cruising until after the covid-19 vaccine hits enough of the world to make it safe again.

There won't be cruising until after the covid-19 vaccine hits enough of the world to make it safe again.

I agree. Once the vaccinated/recovered-with-antibodies start to outnumber those with no antibodies, we will start to see a drop in cases. It's one thing to say "I'll decide on my own if I want to take the chance of cruising" but there is an entire crew there being subjected to this by 2000+ people every few days so it wouldn't take long until the crew is too ill to keep the cruise feeling like a cruise.
Eventually it would turn partly into a hospital and a morgue. Right now is still too soon imo.

I agree. Once the vaccinated/recovered-with-antibodies start to outnumber those with no antibodies, we will start to see a drop in cases. It's one thing to say "I'll decide on my own if I want to take the chance of cruising" but there is an entire crew there being subjected to this by 2000+ people every few days so it wouldn't take long until the crew is too ill to keep the cruise feeling like a cruise.
Eventually it would turn partly into a hospital and a morgue. Right now is still too soon imo.
This could be complicated by the news of additional strains (both known and unknown) that could give rise to multiple rounds of vaccines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter