Metal Shaped Mickey Ears

djbogue

Mouseketeer
Can someone tell me where you can get the metal shaped mickey ears that are displayed at the camping sites or how to make one? :confused3 They are about 3 foot tall and have rope lights on them.

From what I understand, they are home-made, just like the mickey lamp posts. I don't think there are instructions for the metal ears, but there are instructions on how to make the lamps here on the bds.

Here's my two cents worth:

How to build a Rope Light Mickey

You can easily find the basic parts you need at Michael’s or a similar Craft Store.

You will need:
One 18 inch wire wreath frame
Two 12 inch wire wreath frames
Plastic wire ties
One 12 foot rope light
Michael’s also sells a wire easel which your completed light will stand on, or you can simply hang it on a wall, on a fence or from a tree.

Here’s a picture of the basic parts.

MickeyRopeLight003.jpg

Peel off any tags or paper and lay the wreath frames on a work surface in the basic Mickey head configuration.

MickeyRopeLight007.jpg

Now begin to tie the frames together using the wire ties. My wire ties are about 5 inches, but the size is not really important.

Here are a few pictures to show how the ties are applied.

MickeyRopeLight008.jpg

MickeyRopeLight009.jpg

Now simply use wire cutters to cut the “tails” off the wire ties. Then use your fingers to twist the wire ties so that the little locking block is at the back out of sight.

MickeyRopeLight010.jpg

Voila – you have a Mickey head and now you are ready to attach the rope light.

Start with the plug at the bottom and use wire ties to attach the lights to the outer wire on the 18 inch ring. When you get to the smaller ring (the ear) continue around the outer edge of the larger ring and then turn to go up the far side of the ear. Here's a picture of what I mean:

MickeyRopeLight037.jpg

When you've gotten this far, snip off those "tails" and turn those little locking blocks to the back, out of sight and out of the way.

Now continue to attach the rope lights around the ear and then place the rope directly on top of the first strand where they overlap. Make sure they are one on top of the other when you tighten the wire tie. This will ensure that you only see one strand when they are lit up. I think it's a "cleaner" look that way. Carry on with the wire ties all the way across the top of the Mickey head to the far side of the second ear and then turn them up the ear again.

Here's another picture:

MickeyRopeLight039.jpg

This is where you trim the "tails " and turn the locking blocks again. Now continue around the ear and carefully overlap the strands at the bottom of the ear. Keep right on attaching the rope around the edge of the larger ring until you reach the end with the plug attached. You will have a little bit of extra rope light. I put it under the first strand so the "connector" is more or less out of sight.

It should look like this:

MickeyRopeLight041.jpg

Trim those tails and turn those blocks, and you're done. Aren't you proud of yourself? You've just made a Rope Light Mickey.

When you plug it in it will look like this:

MickeyRopeLight042.jpg

Gary Cruise
Kingston, ON
Canada

That looks fantastic. Your directions with the pictures make it look really easy to do. I'm thinking that I may have to try that when I get back from Disney. Thanks so much.:santa:

Gary , You are just amazinglyhandy cool !! You do impress me, :thumbsup2
Since I for one am not handy (suck at handy) you would hate me for a neighbor.

Gary , You are just amazinglyhandy cool !! You do impress me, :thumbsup2
Since I for one am not handy (suck at handy) you would hate me for a neighbor.

I kept looking for you at your site last month . . . we were just around the corner in site 517. I saw your Dis'ers sign, but never caught you home!

This was our site!

Tagomania09823.jpg

Maybe we'll connect on another trip.

If you're lazy like me, you can also buy 3 pre-lit wreaths (1 slightly larger than the other 2), zip tie them together and get this...

CampsiteLights01.jpg

That is the way we made ours, the same exact one. I had seen some at the campsite and couldn't figure out how to do it, so I went to Michael's and found the round metal rings, then got the lights. And my DH put it together the same way. Good job

Thanks so much for sharing the instructions. Adding this to the "this has to happen before our next trip" list.

Thanks so much for sharing the instructions. Adding this to the "this has to happen before our next trip" list.

Or if it doesn't, you can always run to Home Depot or Lowe's :rotfl:

That's what we did one trip, when ... after giving DH 1-2 years to make a Mickey Light at home ... it never happened, cuz life kept getting in the way and chewing up all our time (or so he says).

So we headed to Home Depot for supplies and there he was on the picnic table at our site @ the Fort ... making ole Mick! I made sure he brought his tools from home, so he didn't have any excuse to have to buy a 2nd set of them. ;)

Then everyone was happy - cuz you know what happens when Mama ain't!

:lmao:

DH was nice and made me ears in blue! We are @ 2017 if anyone wanders by before the 23rd! You can't miss our medieval style tent!

Thanks for the easy to read instructions! DH now something to do before we camp again!

A couple of years ago I bought some wreaths and brought everything to WDW with us for the holidays. I used wire to connect the ears and head.
I then added the green "rope type trim" and mini lights. I had it completed in less than an hour. I then made one with no lights or trim out of the grape vine wreaths. It took about 10 minutes.

Believe me I have NO artistic talent but I did these. I was proud of myself.
Ha!!!!!:rotfl:

Good luck and have fun making your own wreaths.

Merry Christmas.

Judy

I forgot to tell you that you can buy the green wreaths, as I also did, and add lights and make your wreath this way. Much easier.

Judy:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter