Meryl Streep slams Walt Disney

Sadly, I see a future in which the Disney company will try to distance itself from Walt, for the same reason that Meryl Streep made these comments - politics. I think in many ways this has already started.

If it weren't for Walt, this board would not exist.

Not true we would all be here for our love of bacon :snooty::sad2:

Tattooed-Martha-Chocolate-Covered-Bacon-7.jpg

Obviously you not only did you take the time to read it but you took the time to post. If you really didn't care just move on along.

Sarcastic much?? Don't think I'm the only one that has posted (or thinks) that what Meryl Streep says/thinks is of no concern. She is no better/worse than me or anyone that has an opinion!

So, your opinion is worth so much more than anyone elses?? I can read, and I also read most of the previous answer rebutting what was said.

Thanks for your concern for my time - but when I decide to 'move on' will be my decision.

Sarcastic much?? Don't think I'm the only one that has posted (or thinks) that what Meryl Streep says/thinks is of no concern. She is no better/worse than me or anyone that has an opinion!

So, your opinion is worth so much more than anyone elses?? I can read, and I also read most of the previous answer rebutting what was said.

Thanks for your concern for my time - but when I decide to 'move on' will be my decision.

Hey I never said my opnion was better then anyone else BUT when people put who care on something you post to me it reads sorry your post is much beneath me to even post on it so who cares. My point if you don't care why bother :confused3

I'm sorry if that whole quote didn't post correctly. I think it was the copying and pasting from Facebook that did it to my post here.
Here's a link to the same post on the waltdisney.org web site:

http://www.waltdisney.org/content/defense-walt-disney

One thing I've noted is that some accounts make it sound like it was Walt himself who wrote the letter to the woman applying for the animation job in 1938. The web site reproduces the letter, which was written on behalf of the company, signed by someone named Mary Cleare (signature not fully legible).

So does that mean we must dismiss the evidence they cite because they naturally have a desire to defend him?

No, it means just like anything else, you have to consider the source.

Walt Disney wasn't a saint. He was a man, with flaws and faults. He wasn't perfect.

Hey I never said my opnion was better then anyone else BUT when people put who care on something you post to me it reads sorry your post is much beneath me to even post on it so who cares. My point if you don't care why bother :confused3

Again, I'll say much thanks for deciding who posts, where they post, and what they say!

Also, for adding 'your' thoughts on what I post. Again, I'll say, 'who cares' what someone like Meryl Streep thinks, her 'thoughts' are worth no more than anyone elses.

If you put her on a pedestal, that's your right, but everyone doesn't.

Yep, and it was much better researched than that twit's (I'd use a different 3rd petter personally) original speech.

Heavens! What did Meryl Streep do to deserve that? Surely one can disagree with her without being quite so personal.

I've always found her to be a warm, engaging, thoughtful woman--and, more to the point, a terrific actress. I'm not sure I can recall a moment that prompted me to think of her by your parenthetical pejorative.

Sadly, I see a future in which the Disney company will try to distance itself from Walt, for the same reason that Meryl Streep made these comments - politics. I think in many ways this has already started.

Sadly, that ship set sail a VERY long time ago. It's partially responsible for the damage to the brand.

Again, I'll say much thanks for deciding who posts, where they post, and what they say!

Also, for adding 'your' thoughts on what I post. Again, I'll say, 'who cares' what someone like Meryl Streep thinks, her 'thoughts' are worth no more than anyone elses.

If you put her on a pedestal, that's your right, but everyone doesn't.

I am just going to say okkkayyyy whatever and end this because I have no clue who I am putting on a pedestal and I never said anyone thoughts are more important then another. SO whatever :confused3

I find the accusation by Streep that Walt Disney was anti-Semitic, whilst she is lauding Thompson, to be somewhat ironic.
Thompson is well known as a supporter of Palestine and has repeatedly called for boycotts against Israel.
Now, although Thompson herself may not be anti-Semitic, many of her fellow travellers certainly are.

ford family

Good point. If Walt Disney is to be branded an anti-Semite based on his membership in an organization, then by that measure Emma Thompson would be one as well. Between the pro-Palestinian stances and the Israeli boycotting, she's much more active and vocal than Walt Disney ever was. I guess Meryl Streep ignored/forgot/was ignorant about that part when she put a halo on Emma Thompson's head, as she simultaneously slammed Disney.

I admire both of these women as actresses. And I don't think Walt Disney was a saint, although he was a visionary. But Streep's Disney rant puts me in mind of an old saying. "There are two ways to have the tallest building in town. You can build yours UP or you can tear the other ones DOWN." Streep, in trying to build Thompson UP, decided to tear Disney DOWN. It was a cheap, lazy tactic.

Streep, in trying to build Thompson UP, decided to tear Disney DOWN. It was a cheap, lazy tactic.

It really seems so old school. While I'm grateful to the feminist movement and for some of their ideas and much of their impact, I had kind of hoped and thought that the tearing down of others in order to raise women up was one of the tactics that had finally died.

I'd really like to know (but never will) what Emma Thompson immediately thought of Meryl Streep's speech as she listened. Was she proud? Was she flinching? Was it a combination? Or Tom Hanks, for that matter.

No, it means just like anything else, you have to consider the source.
The "source" only matters if you think they're lying in the evidence they cited. If Ms. Streep has any first-hand evidence that Disney himself was indeed an anti-Semite and didn't care for women (who, btw, comprised the rest of his immediate family) that counters what the Disney family pointed to... let's hear it.

Walt Disney wasn't a saint. He was a man, with flaws and faults. He wasn't perfect.
I don't see anyone implying that... even "Saving Mr. Banks" showed some of his warts. He was deceitful at times towards Travers and showed that he would have made a good used car salesman when trying to get the movie rights signed over to him... and when he got what he wanted, he disregarded many of her wishes and well as Travers personally.

I really don't care what Meryl Streep has to say about any subject but this is non-news. Walt wasn't some God above reproach, he was a guy who happened to hold the same views as the majority of other men who lived during his time. It doesn't mean he was right to have them but he was a guy living in the first half of the twentieth century who thought the same as most people living in the first half of the twentieth century. It is what it is.

:thumbsup2

Did Meryl Streep bring attention to other corporations that did not treat women equally? I mean there was a feminist movement for a reason.

I too read Marty Sklar's book and he, someone who worked very closely with Walt, said the man was not an anti-Semite.

Also from the little I read, Travers was no peach either to work with, she came with a lot of baggage and made things difficult, so maybe he did not like having to broker this deal with her, I am sure he felt that way about many males he had to deal with as well. Just bc she was a woman doesnt make her perfect either, she might have been a real pain in the neck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter