Mega Movie Stars March Exercise Challenge

Yesterday I did some walking at work and did some ab work outs at home. DD had riding lessons last night so no rec but I should be able to go tonight barring DH and DH not being to sick. They both have pretty bad colds. I am adding 45 minutes from yesterday.

230/1395

Mother nature is certainly determined to see me get in my minutes this month! (We need a snow smiley.)

10 minutes yesterday - walking in the "calm before the storm"

120 minutes today - shoveling, clearing cars, and digging out the fire hydrant

for a new total of 255/400

(I went from 13% under pace to 51% over!)

A runner-up for the most Disney film appearances is Kevin Corcoran (1949-2015). He started his acting career at age 2 and had seven siblings, most of whom also did some acting. With Disney, he started out making appearances as different (but always irrepressible) characters nicknamed Moochie on The Mickey Mouse Club. He played Tommy Kirk's younger brother in Old Yeller, The Shaggy Dog, Swiss Family Robinson, Bon Voyage!, and Savage Sam. He also appeared in several Disney TV films as well as four other Disney feature films: Pollyanna; Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks With a Circus; Babes in Toyland; and A Tiger Walks.

Corcoran virtually retired from acting after 1964's A Tiger Walks (he says that he decided to quit when he went to a character audition and knew more about the business than the people interviewing him). He graduated from California State University, Northridge with a degree in theater arts. Then he went back to Disney, this time on the other side of the camera as an assistant director and producer. He also was first assistant director on non-Disney TV shows including Scarecrow and Mrs. King and Quantum Leap, and was credited as first assistant director, assistant producer, and director for Murder, She Wrote.

Corcoran was inducted as a Disney Legend in 2006. He died in 2015 of colorectal cancer.

According to D23, "Kevin avoided the disappointment and scandal of many child stars—he maintained a successful and stable career, and has been married to the same woman for more than 40 years. He credits his family’s down-to-earth sensibility about the business for his ability to avoid its pitfalls. 'Some people’s families are in the delicatessen business,' Kevin says simply; 'My family was in the picture business.'”

Last edited:

Anne Hathaway (born 1982) made her film debut in The Princess Diaries (2001). She also starred in Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), Ella Enchanted (2004), Alice in Wonderland (2010), and Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016). As for non-Disney-related movies, you may have caught her in Brokeback Mountain, The Devil Wears Prada, Bride Wars, The Dark Knight Rises, or Les Miserables. Her portrayal of Fantine in Les Miserables won her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, as well as a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild award, and a BAFTA. (Interestingly, she first became interested in acting when she, at age six, saw her mother performing the role of Fantine.) One of my favorites of hers is Hoodwinked!, in which she provided the voice of Red Puckett.

In addition to acting, Hathaway sings. In high school, she sang at Carnegie Hall with the All-Eastern U.S. High School Honors Chorus. Her soprano voice made her a front-runner to star in a Phantom of the Opera movie, but she had to decline because of conflicts with Princess Diaries 2. She did her own singing in Les Miserables.

Hathaway is listed as one of 2015's highest paid actresses, and since 2017 is one of the highest paid actresses of this century. She supports a variety of charitable initiatives, including advocating for the rights of children and women, and in 2016 was appointed a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador.

Thank you for all the get wells. it is not that bad and no where near as bad as DD and DH. Poor DD hasn't been able to breath through her nose all week and it is so red and DH it is just all draining and making him couch and keeping him up all night. And the sneezing DH has been doing is crazy. I am just a little congested and get winded a little easier from the congestion. I am still getting extra walking at work but just not doing a big work out at night. Yesterday i did 30 minutes of walking at different times throughout the day.

278/1395

For St. Patrick's Day weekend, we have an Irish-born actor and an actress who appeared in a Disney film set in Ireland.

187px-Richard_Todd_-_1959.jpg

Richard Todd (1919-2009) was born in Ireland. After working in theatre in the 1930s, he volunteered for service the day after World War II was declared, and was among the first wave of parachutists dropped into Normandy for D-Day. He also participated in the Battle of the Bulge and Rhine crossing operations.

After the war, he returned to acting. His appearance in (non-Disney) The Hasty Heart garnered an Oscar nomination and made him the favorite British male star of 1949. In the early 1950s, he starred in three Disney historic swashbucklers: The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men (1952), The Sword and the Rose (1953), and Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue (1953). According to D23, all of these films were made with blocked funds that Disney had been unable to get out of England since the war. Later, working with other studios, Todd made his most famous film, The Dam Busters, and played Major John Howard in The Longest Day, about D-Day. Todd actually had met Major Howard on the Pegasus Bridge during D-Day operations. Reportedly Todd also was Ian Fleming's first choice to play James Bond in Dr. No, but obviously that didn't work out.

Todd died of cancer. His epitaph includes the phrase "exit Dashing Young Blade," referencing a description by the Queen Mother.

Janet_Munro.jpg

Janet Munro (1934-1972), was born Janet Neilson Horsburgh and used her comedian father's stage name of Munro professionally. She started in repertory theatre and then moved to British TV before making the leap to films. She made three feature films for Disney: in addition to starring in Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959), she was in Third Man on the Mountain (1959) and Swiss Family Robinson (1960). She also was slated to appear in Bon Voyage!, but production was delayed and the part was recast. Later she appeared in several British films, including The Day the Earth Caught Fire.

Sadly, Munro died young, of a heart attack caused by chronic ischemic heart disease.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone, and have a great weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!