Mega Movie Stars March Exercise Challenge

In honor of the Oscars, today we feature two child stars who took home the Academy Juvenile Award for their work on Disney films. The Academy Juvenile Award, also known as the Juvenile Oscar, was a special non-competitive award presented intermittently between 1935 and 1961. There were only 12 winners before the award was retired (including Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, and Mickey Rooney). The statuette is about half the size of a regular Oscar.

Bobby Driscoll (1937-1968) was one of the first two actors Disney put under contract. He received his Juvenile Oscar in 1950 for outstanding work in 1949, the year he starred in So Dear to My Heart for Disney and The Window for RKO. Driscoll also starred in Song of the South (1946) and Treasure Island (1950), and served as model and voice for Peter Pan (1953). He struggled with his career after leaving Disney, and he began to use drugs by age 17. After serving time for drugs, he relocated to New York and became part of Andy Warhol's art community known as The Factory. He died young, at age 31, of heart failure connected to drug abuse.

Hayley Mills (born 1946) comes from a prominent acting family (father Sir John Mills was also an Oscar winner and a Disney Legend; mother Mary Hayley Bell was a stage actor and writer; and older sister Juliet Mills is a film and television actor). Mills became one of the most popular child actors in the world and won her Juvenile Oscar (the last one awarded) after she starred in Pollyanna (1960). Annette Funicello accepted it for her because her she was at boarding school in England, and in view of her young age, her parents didn't tell her anything about the award until it arrived on her doorstep. It was years before she appreciated what being an Oscar winner meant! Mills went on to appear in five more Disney films in the early to mid-1960s: The Parent Trap (1961) (in which she sang "Let's Get Together" with herself), In Search of the Castaways (1962), Summer Magic (1963), The Moon-Spinners (1964), and That Darn Cat! (1965). Mills continued acting as she grew into adulthood, and in fact can be seen right now in an Off-Broadway show called Party Face. She was inducted as a Disney Legend in the class of 1998.

So not too many active minutes this weekend but I felt like I did a lot. I am adding 68 minutes total for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

68/1395

Also, I love Hayley Mills. Pollyanna and Parent Trap are my favorites. My sister and I would sing and dance to "Let's Get Together" from Parent Trap all the time as a kid. Hayley Mills was also a teacher in the first season of Saved by the Bell.

Good morning!

My first update for March -- through yesterday, March 4. I did really well at the conference -- went to the gym at least once a day, but usually twice!

Thursday - 121 minutes
Friday - 60 minutes
Saturday - 122 minutes
Sunday - 60 minutes

363 / 2100 - 17.3%

Hayley Mills was also a teacher in the first season of Saved by the Bell.

In an interview I read, she said that when she went to California to film that, her Juvenile Oscar disappeared from her mantel where she had kept it for 25 years. Apparently it's never been found.

Lindsay Lohan (born 1986) followed in Hayley Mills' footsteps by making her film debut in Disney's 1998 remake of The Parent Trap. She also starred in a 2003 remake of Freaky Friday, 2004's Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, and 2005's Herbie: Fully Loaded. Her real breakthrough role, however, was in Mean Girls (2004), her first film outside of Disney. In the later 2000s and early 2010s, she suffered well-publicized drug and alcohol problems, including driving under the influence. But she continued acting, and is scheduled to appear in the UK comedy series Sick Note and an all-female film called Frame that begins production in Saudi Arabia next month. (Apparently she's also in talks to design her own island at the World Islands, which is a development of 300 private islands in the shape of continents, located off the coast of Dubai. According to the website I saw, prices available on request.)

In addition to acting, Lohan is a recording artist, with albums that went platinum and gold and several singles. She has performed for the soundtracks of Freaky Friday, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, Herbie: Fully Loaded, and Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.

I don't have much to add from yesterday. I was at the ER with DD for 9 hours. I did get 15 minutes in before I had to take her. I might have to adjust my time for the month as I think we might have many more appointments in our future but I am going to wait and see how the next week or 2 goes.

83/1395

In an interview I read, she said that when she went to California to film that, her Juvenile Oscar disappeared from her mantel where she had kept it for 25 years. Apparently it's never been found.

I never knew that. That really stinks.

Lindsay Lohan (born 1986) followed in Hayley Mills' footsteps by making her film debut in Disney's 1998 remake of The Parent Trap

As for Lindsey I am not a fan of her movies. Though Parent Trap is basically the same as the old one I much prefer the old one. Same with Freaky Friday.

Yesterday was better though it was rough on me. I didn't get to the rec to work out but did some walking at work. I was able to do 30 minutes.

113/1395

Much pixie dust to piglet1979 and DD, who hopefully will not need to go to the ER again for a long time (well, preferably never).

Thank you. I hope not too. We have everything figured out with insurance and the good news is it will only be a $20 co-pay to see a councilor. We were dreading how much it was going to be and thinking about canceling our Disney Cruise this summer. Now we don't have to. She is going to get the help she needs to control her anxiety.

Adding 46 minutes of walking yesterday

188/930 (Correction below)

Spent the day very busy at work today, so won't be reporting anything tomorrow.

EDITED
OOPS...I must have counted something twice because according to MapMyWalk I only have 177 minutes of walking this month so far.

177/930

Congratulations to PollyannaMom for becoming Brilliant Blue! (Sorry I already focused on Hayley Mills, since she was Pollyanna.)

Instead, tonight's feature is Johnny Depp (born John Christopher Depp II in 1963), who became famous on the TV series 21 Jump Street in the late 1980s. Since then, he's had a lot of strange and interesting roles (and apparently a strange and interesting personal life as well). His most well-known Disney role, of course, is Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. But he also appeared in Ed Wood (1994), Finding Neverland (2004), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Lone Ranger (2013), Into the Woods (2014), and Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016). Reportedly he was 2012's highest paid actor, making $75 million. Last year, however, reports surfaced that he was in financial trouble--he says bad managers, and they say manic spending.

In addition to acting, Depp plays the guitar (including in the film Chocolat) and is part of a superband (with Alice Cooper and Joe Perry) called Hollywood Vampires. He reportedly also has an interest in a vineyard and a Parisian restaurant/bar.

Depp was named a Disney Legend in 2015. Unlike the other honorees, he wasn't announced in advance, and showed up in a surprise appearance at the D23 Expo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter