• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Medical Bill help

The system is going broke because there are people who use the system as a way of life. If it was used as it was intended as a short term stepping stone on a return to independence then there wouldn't be the major issues we have now and I doubt that there would be far less hostility towards people who have used things like Medicaid in the past. I say that coming from a place on both sides. Medicaid also paid in part for the birth of one of my children as well as the prenatal visits. That doesn't make me someone who sucked off the system, it was there when we were in need of it, we used it as intended and are no longer in need of it and haven't been for many years.

I also work in the school system. I can not tell you how many families I see who are life long abusers of the system. We recently had a family who was crying to the school that they needed money for heat. I have known this family for years in the school setting and they had been very open that they were in welfare system with me. The teachers took up a fund for them donated money in their name to a local oil delivery company. Never got so much as a thank you. It was also discovered that they get heating assistance as well. The kids came back to school after Christmas break raving about the Big screen TV and Wii and cell phones that mom and dad had gotten them. That is the kind of thing I take issue with. Not someone using the system appropriately as it was intended.

I don't get the feeling that the OP was using the system for anything other than what it was intended. I also don't get the feeling that if she is told that this balance is her's to pay that she will disregard it. It took four years for this bill to come to her. Any good consumer would be checking it out. She may find out that the bill was already paid and that during updating of software some statements were sent out that shouldn't have been. It is appropriate to ask those questions especially when a bill comes that far after the fact. She also stated that she does support casues for people who are not as fortunate as she is now. I didn't read the post as being an attempt to look for sympathy.

I know that there are people who come here "whine" about their financial troubles, ant sympathy and claim a trip was gifted to them. As a family who did have a WDW trip gifted to them (we went along with a relative who picked up the cost) when we couldn't have otherwise paid for it ourselves, I know it does happen. As often as stated on the DIS I don't know, but I was the recipient of a WDW trip. Our first trip in fact. We then saved every single penny we could to pay for our next trip on our own in full.

I also recieved a bill for services 3 or 4 years after the date of services. These services were through Child Development Services (Speech OT etc) for one of my children. CDS makes it very clear that their services are FREE to the individuals who are enrolled, regardless of their financial standing. The bill I got was for approximately $3000. I contacted CDS and the Billing department of the providers who were contracted for the services. I recieved the bill three more times after that. Could I have paid a bit here and there and just paid off the bill. Sure but the services were supposed to be provided free of charge at the time those services were given. It was not my responsibility to pay that bill and I didn't. I don't feel that I abused the system.

Familyoffive I am glad that you were in a position that you were able to pay for your prenatal and birth expenses out of pocket. Thats great! I also hope that should you be in the position to need asistance, that you do so responsibly and only for the amount of time necessary. I sure you would.

ETA Never in my life have I been able to do a hand stand or a cartwheel for that matter.

You don't see a list of Disney trips, both past and future, under my posts, now do you? We struggled to prepay the cash for our firstborn. We went from an HMO to no coverage for an existing pregnancy in the third month. We had to make sacrifices and get the money together. As I wrote, the OP could donate that some to a shelter or charity that provides the type of services that she needed when she was given her medical assistance.

You don't see a list of Disney trips, both past and future, under my posts, now do you? We struggled to prepay the cash for our firstborn. We went from an HMO to no coverage for an existing pregnancy in the third month. We had to make sacrifices and get the money together. As I wrote, the OP could donate that some to a shelter or charity that provides the type of services that she needed when she was given her medical assistance.
I think that it sucks that you fell thru the cracks but that is no reason to disparage the OP because she didn't. She used the system as it was intended, is back on her feet and is now able to afford more than just the basics in life. You have no idea how she spends her money other than the vacations that she has listed. Nor is it anyone's business.

And, how do you know she didn't?

Again, you don't know her circumstances. You don't know just how much hard luck they have had (nor do I for that matter). I certainly wouldn't feel that someone who had to rely on assistance for a short amount of time should be indebted to society for the rest of their life and never go for trips. Heck, I would bet some commenters get financial assistance (such as EIC) as well. Should those people then never go on vacation again because they "rely on the system?"

And, how do you know she didn't?

Again, you don't know her circumstances. You don't know just how much hard luck they have had (nor do I for that matter). I certainly wouldn't feel that someone who had to rely on assistance for a short amount of time should be indebted to society for the rest of their life and never go for trips. Heck, I would bet some commenters get (such as EIC) as well. Should those people then never go on vacation again because they "rely on the system?"

Since none of us except the OP knows what took place, I was commenting based upon my own opinion and the statements the OP made in this thread.

Since none of us except the OP knows what took place, I was commenting based upon my own opinion and the statements the OP made in this thread.

Okay, lets look at this another way. A family makes a good salary...pays their bills on time etc. They pay cash for some nice vacations and donate to charities. They are a one working parent household. That parent gets laid off, they went through their savings and go on financial assitance for a short period of time. During that time they do not vacation and live very frugally. Parent once again finds job, they get off financial assistance, begin giving to charity and vacationing again. Are you saying that family should not go on vacations since they once relied on financial assistance? Out of curiosity, would you pay a $1500 bill that your health insurance is responsible for?

Okay, lets look at this another way. A family makes a good salary...pays their bills on time etc. They pay cash for some nice vacations and donate to charities. They are a one working parent household. That parent gets laid off, they went through their savings and go on financial assitance for a short period of time. During that time they do not vacation and live very frugally. Parent once again finds job, they get off financial assistance, begin giving to charity and vacationing again. Are you saying that family should not go on vacations since they once relied on financial assistance? Out of curiosity, would you pay a $1500 bill that your health insurance is responsible for?

This.

When I first started out, I was young, newly married, and pregnant. Both my DH and I were working full-time, but our jobs did not provide health insurance. Should I have gotten pregnant? No, it was an oops baby and we did the best we could. I got Medicaid, they paid 100% for my pregnancy and delivery.

Since then, my ex has gotten a good job and makes close to six figures, and I went to college, graduated, and am working and making decent money. Should we never, ever get to do anything with the money we worked hard to earn because 17 years ago we got financial assistance?

If the OP had taken a Disney trip in 2007, then I could see complaining. But a year later? After her DH was back to work? Why shouldn't they get to go on a vacation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter