Med rates - WOW!!!

Yes that would be per person.

We won't be going on those cruises either. They are too expensive.

Maybe I'm being a bit slow here but why would the repo cruises show a range of prices for each category of stateroom? I can understand it on the 10 and 11 night cruises as it might depend on the date of the cruise but why on the repos? Am I missing something?

Does it depend when you book maybe?

Just for fun I priced a 14 Night Westbound Transatlantic Cruise on RCI. A junior suite Deck Eight
Occupancy: Up to 4 guests.
Amenities: Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area with sofa bed. (236 sq. ft., balcony 75 sq. ft.)

1st or 2nd Guest 3rd or 4th Guest Stateroom Total
*$1,999.00 USD *$299.00 USD *$4,596.00 USD

$4596 is for four people, not per person! I knew there was a difference, but WOW!!

While this cruise would be the summer of my 20th wedding anniversary..........

I think it is just too much $$$$$$ for us. This would have to be one of those "Once in a lifetime" vacations. We try and take 2 cruises a year.....with the kids, on Disney. This would have to count for those and then some!

I think it will be like the west coast cruise this summer. We flew to CA from FL just to take the cruise, but we were the ONLY ones from FL when they wanted to know where everyone was from. (I bet 80% were from CA) This time, I think it will me mostly Europeans taking this trip.

Fran
:teacher:

We were thinking of changing our 7 night western to the med 10 night but not anymore (that cat 6 plus airfare for two is ouch!!). At that price we could do the western and a trip to italy later.

BuzzBoyMom said:
And the ports for that Eastbound transatlantic:

Cruise Itinerary Day Port Ashore Onboard
Saturday Port Canaveral — 4:30 p.m.
Sunday Castaway Cay 8:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
Monday At Sea — —
Tuesday At Sea — —
Wednesday At Sea — —
Thursday At Sea — —
Friday At Sea — —
Saturday At Sea — —
Sunday Tenerife, Canary Islands 8:00 a.m. 9:00 p.m.
Monday At Sea — —
Tuesday Cadiz, Spain 11:00 a.m. 10:30 p.m.
Wednesday Gibraltar, U.K. 8:00 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
Thursday At Sea — —
Friday Barcelona, Spain 11:00 a.m. Overnight
Saturday Barcelona, Spain 6:45 a.m. —

6 days at sea in a row! I know there's a lot to do onboard...but for 6 days in a row, I think I would be begging to get off the ship.

As much as I like DCL and rate their ships, you'd have to be borderline insane to consider these very ordinary Med itineraries at these kinds of prices. Try P&O, try Royal Caribbean, Princess, MSC, Costa, Fred Olsen, Thomson, Ocean Village, Island Cruises, Carnival, Oceania, Holland America, Celebrity, Swan Hellenic; even Crystal are cheaper than DCL here. There is SO much choice here, I can't believe the Disney difference is worth that kind of money.

Luckymommyx2 said:
Just for fun I priced a 14 Night Westbound Transatlantic Cruise on RCI. A junior suite Deck Eight
Occupancy: Up to 4 guests.
Amenities: Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area with sofa bed. (236 sq. ft., balcony 75 sq. ft.)

1st or 2nd Guest 3rd or 4th Guest Stateroom Total
*$1,999.00 USD *$299.00 USD *$4,596.00 USD

$4596 is for four people, not per person! I knew there was a difference, but WOW!!

The big difference is because the Magic will be travelling in August, not late Oct or Nov when the others typically come back. This is the only reason I am even contemplating the repo back because it is before the kids go to school.

Price wise it seems as if a Cat 4 for our family of 5 will actually be a better deal than even a Cat 7 and an 11.

I can cruise the Carb for 4 weeks on the Magic for the cost of the Med cruise and airfare, and a lot safer. Guess I will go to Mexico or cruise Costa next summer with the family. :guilty: Exactly what I thought to take the family $35,000

jodifla said:
...but who wants to pay 8 grand for a category 12?
Someone who lives in Europe, doesn't have to pay transatlantic airfare, and that gets a good Euro/USD exchange rate (good for them, not so good for us).

We live in the UK and we can get premium economy return flights to Orlando, 7 night DCL cruise cat 6 and still have £1000 left over to spend for the same price as the 11 night med cruise cat 6.

The fare for our family for the Eastbound repositioning cruise on August 20, 2005 was $7956 when I booked the first day. Using the cheapest fares listed for the Westbound repositioning on August 18, 2007, our fare would be $9596. Category 6 2A2C. Fare only. No taxes, fees, insurance, transfers, or airfare.

Bottomline: even DCL upped the prices by 20% for the repo cruise compared to the similar cruise 2 years before. Ouch!

Sea Days: Our first and only DCL cruise was the 14-day Eastbound repositioning and we could have handled more sea days without a problem.

disneycrazzzy said:
The fare for our family for the Eastbound repositioning cruise on August 20, 2005 was $7956 when I booked the first day. Using the cheapest fares listed for the Westbound repositioning on August 18, 2007, our fare would be $9596. Category 6 2A2C. Fare only. No taxes, fees, insurance, transfers, or airfare.

Bottomline: even DCL upped the prices by 20% for the repo cruise compared to the similar cruise 2 years before. Ouch!

Sea Days: Our first and only DCL cruise was the 14-day Eastbound repositioning and we could have handled more sea days without a problem.

Same with us - except our 1st and only DCL cruise was the Westbound.
Of course the biggie for us booking that one was the trip through the Panama Canal. :thumbsup2

I agree about the sea days. I was a bit concerned about going stir crazy... but it was NEVER a problem.

Just don't think I can justify the cost on the Med cruises though.
I'll have to watch for the trip reports.

You will also need to factor in the price of excursions. Since major points of interest are usually quite a distance from where the ships dock, it can get quite expensive. Most tours usually last for 9-10 hrs. For our upcoming Med cruise our excursions are more than what we paid for our airfare for the two of us and pretty darn close to the cruise fare for one of us - and we are sailing in a suite.

We will also take a bath with the conversion rate for changing dollars to Euros.

So there is alot to factor in when considering the overall cost. ;)

Well I live in Europe and these cruises are too expensive for me and I suspect for alot of other Europeans too!
Good luck to those going have a fab time!

Couple of questions???

If prices for a cat 11 are $2400 - $3500 approx pp. (10 nights)

Do you think the 8th Aug sailing will be one of the cheapest? Or is it likely to be one of the dearest? ( It is peak holiday time in UK wondered about USa?)

How much do you think taxes would cost?

I am trying to work out approx what the cheapest way to get on board in August for DH & myself - that is without stowing away!!! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter