• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MB+ vs. Apple Watch

kwdw

DIS Veteran
Debating about buying MB+ vs. using my Apple watch. I understand the watch can be linked with Magic Mobile for park access, LL access, work with Photopass, and charging to a resort room. But what about other things?
  1. Will it unlock my Disney resort room door?
  2. Will it work with the bounty hunter game in Galaxy's Edge?
  3. Will it interact with the gold statues for the 50th?
I don't want to wear two things on my wrist, but I also don't need to spend money on something I won't use because the watch would do everything.

Debating about buying MB+ vs. using my Apple watch. I understand the watch can be linked with Magic Mobile for park access, LL access, work with Photopass, and charging to a resort room. But what about other things?
  1. Will it unlock my Disney resort room door?
No, but as above, your phone will.
  1. Will it work with the bounty hunter game in Galaxy's Edge?
I don’t think so - the game requires a link to the Play Disney Parks app, and I don’t know if the watch can link to that or not.
  1. Will it interact with the gold statues for the 50th?
AFAIAA, no.
I don't want to wear two things on my wrist, but I also don't need to spend money on something I won't use because the watch would do everything.
There are specially made MB+ watch sliders available on Etsy and Amazon. You take the puck out of the MB+ and put it into the slider, then slide that onto the watch band. You get full function of the MB+ and it saves having two bands on your wrist. The tricky part is charging the MB+ because of the way the puck fits into the charger. Also, you won’t be wearing the pretty band from the MB+, just the puck, which is unique to each MB+ design.

The tricky part is charging the MB+ because of the way the puck fits into the charger
I solved this with a small rubber band, which allowed the puck to sit tight on the charging contacts. One of the sellers of the slider for the MB+ actually includes a rubber band with purchase, just for this purpose :)

If you want to be able to play the Bounty Hunter game and interact with the Fab 50 statues, you'll need a MB+ for that. Apple Watch is not able to do either of those things.

1-3, nope.

You can unlock your door with the MDE app (although mine would not work for that this past week), but the other two are exclusive features of MB+.

One of the sellers of the slider for the MB+ actually includes a rubber band with purchase, just for this purpose :)
Thanks for this information! If I decide I want a MB+, I’ll look for that feature on the various sliders. I really like some of the pucks, but my MB2 is too new to replace.

Good morning,
Looking for experiences using your apple watch instead of getting a magic band. When we were there in May, I got a puck and attached the puck to my magic band and it worked find. However, I noticed that the CMs were always trying to scan my actual apple watch instead. I've been researching and it looks like I can use my magic band to open my resort door, scan on to rides with LL and pay for things in the parks and around property. Is this correct? Has anyone had trouble doing it this way? Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

Was there in late August of this year. I used my Apple Watch for everything...getting into the park/rides, etc. The only thing that was wonky was using it to open the door to my resort room.

I had trouble getting the readers to read my watch, so I've got back to putting a puck on my watch band.

what is this puck? does it work with fitbit? I have my old magic bands saved for our April trip but if apple watch works I need info! My husband would rather do that I'm sure than wear the magic band plus his watch.

Never mind …figured it out!
Is there an app you need for your Apple Watc? I’m still learning about my watch

Last edited:
I did not add any apps on my Apple Watch. I had My Disney Experience on my phone and my park pass in Apple Wallet, and I think that’s all I needed to use my watch as a Magic Band last year. I used my phone to enter our room, but the watch worked for entry, ride scanning, and (I think) payments.

what is this puck? does it work with fitbit? I have my old magic bands saved for our April trip but if apple watch works I need info! My husband would rather do that I'm sure than wear the magic band plus his watch.
I think the puck is just removing the round piece from the Magic Band. These can then be inserted into lanyards. Not sure how one would put it on a watch band.

I think the puck is just removing the round piece from the Magic Band. These can then be inserted into lanyards. Not sure how one would put it on a watch band.
There are sliders available via Etsy and Amazon that hold the puck and fit on a watch band. Search for “Magic Band puck holder” - many options!

The "puck" is the center part of a MagicBand (MagicBand 2.0 or later, including MB+...the original version of MB did not include a removable puck). You can remove this puck and then purchase a MagicBand slider, which can slip onto a watch or fitness tracker band and hold the puck, so that you can wear it on the watch or tracker you are already wearing. If you search Etsy for MagicBand holder or MagicBand slider, you will find many options. Note that the pucks in MB+ and MB 2.0 are NOT the same size and require different sliders, so make sure you find a slider that matches the kind of MB puck you want to use.

Does the Apple Watch work with photo pass? I would hate to miss out on the videos we get on ToT and SDMT.

Does the Apple Watch work with photo pass? I would hate to miss out on the videos we get on ToT and SDMT.
No, unfortunately. However, if you have your phone’s Bluetooth turned on and give the MDE app permission to use Bluetooth, those videos and photos will link to your account same as if you had a MB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter