Mayan frontier horseback riding tour

ncmvp

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done this tour while in Cozumel. Is it worth it? We are not experienced riders. We just want to do something different.

We did this and we LOVED it. I have full details in trip report #28 on my website at www.castawayclub.com but I'll give a few quick highlights:
You are transported to the ranch by bus and then matched up with your horses. Because we had a lot of people, we were split up into two groups. We are experienced riders who own horses, but there were plenty of novices too. Because this was Mexico, I was wondering if the horses would be well-cared for and how well trained they would be. This stable had very well cared for and well trained animals. Although we were told before leaving the ship that it would be all walking, there were a couple of opportunities to run. But if you don't want to, you don't have to...just stay towards the back and hold your horse in. There is a guide in the back and one in the front to make sure everything is fine. After the ride, we saw a little show with trick horses. One of the wranglers studied natural horsemanship in the U.S. and his demonstration was awesome...tricks, the Spanish Walk, etc. He even stood on one horse and jumped through a lariat! Then one of the horses laid down while we all took turns sitting on it for photos. Some of the ruins you see are real and others are reproductions. The guide also told us quite a bit about Mayan history and culture. A beverage is provided at the end of the ride, and you can buy souvenirs such as t-shirts and hand-painted plates (they will paint one for you while you wait!).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Barb - was this the Disney excursion or another one? Michael would like to go but he's a novice and is only 7 years old. Any suggestions/recommendations/WARNINGS?!

Thanks
Rae

Hi Rae,

I've been following all of the Cozumel riding postings pretty closely as this is the MOST important excursion DD wants to do when we cruise. Barb went on the DCL excursion. I can't remember what the lower age limit is because DD will be 13 and is well within the limit.

Barb's trip report sounded pretty positive for both experienced riders (DD) and more novice riders (ME!). Although Sherri Davis can set up a riding excursion for less I think with Barb's report we are going to do DCL's.

The deciding factor for me (at least at this point in time!) is her description of how well cared for the animals were and the approach to training that was taken. DD's riding instructor also does horse rescues and if the animals were not in the best condition it would spoil it for her. Ditto if there was a great deal of harsh bit use, etc.

Have fun whatever you select!

Deb

Thanks for the reply, Deb. I think that Barb's report was pretty explanatory especially about the condition of the animals. I certainly wouldn't partonize a place that didn't care for the horses!!

It does make the trip to Cozumel sound wonderful! I know if I plan on it (like I did our trip to Nikki's on Grand Cayman) that we will get diverted again - so I'll wait for a while! Thanks!

Rae

Thanks Barb

I read your trip report. Reading that the horses are well cared for was really important to us. If we had come across abused animals it would ruin our trip ( we have 2 dogs and a cat). After reading your report we have pretty much decided to do this excursion. We are going to try to book this, this week. We will be on the Magic 4/26. 60 more days to go!

One question.....do they have weight limits? Sometimes when you go riding there is a weight limit of 200 lbs or so and DH would exceed this. Have any larger folks done this?

Sorry if it's silly but it is a consideration.

I think that most places are 240 - but not sure. That would leave my DH out of it!

Rae

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter