May 9, 2013 3 Night Bahamian on Dream

I think for my 1st cruise (not DCL) I was pretty amazed at how big the ship was, too! pirate::hourglass (sorry my DS4 wanted me to pick those!)

What is a PAT?

I was too! Actually my first cruise was Magic in '99 and the whole mega ship craze hadn't caught on yet. I remember thinking she was so big. Then last year I then cruised Wonder and Princess, and again, thought they were big. Then last summer I was on a RCCL ship and we were docked in front of Magic in Barcelona. I was in shock...this ship could have eaten Magic and had room left over! The size difference was unreal. I have a feeling Dream will be more like that. I wonder if there are any pictures out there of the Dream or Fantasy up against Magic and Wonder.

A PAT is port arrival time. It's fairly new. You get a time frame (I chose 11-11:30) and that is the time you are allowed to enter the port. I don't know how strict they are, but I have heard that if you arrive on a DCL transfer, you can enter the port regardless of your PAT, but if you get there on your own, you will be told to wait outside until your PAT. This is all new to me...the past times we cruised out of PC we showed up when we wanted and boarded well before 1:00.

Glad you mentioned the part about the DCL transfer because we are coming from WDW and I was thinking how am I supposed to know when they will get us there!

I admit I may pull out from FE. I have no idea what I am doing on the first cruise. Being only a three night, I'm afraid there's too many people in group, and I will miss out on the ship. I want to see the ship. Hoping to get there early first day. Nassau day we were thinking of dolphin encounter but this person who was so negative about aquariums etc really upset me earlier this week. So torn now. Castaway... No idea what to sign up for. I will be up 2/23 at midnight but I'm upset bc I'm not sure what to sign up for....My kids are 7 and 9 if anyone has suggestions for
A family who has not cruised not been to the Bahamas?

I did the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon years ago. I felt it was a great experience. I did not read the aquarium debate, but I can imagine which way it went. FWIW, I felt the dolphins were taken care of, and the dolphin I rode had been in movies and TV and seemed like a happy animal.

The other times we went to Nassau we just got off and walked around the town a bit. I think if I were on the 4 night or longer, I would look into doing something more in Nassau, but with such a limited time on the ship, we will get off for a bit and walk around - maybe the Fort, or the Straw Market and spend the bulk of the day onboard.

Atlantis seems to have a lot of nice options. They have been developing their cruise ship options over the years, and I think it would be a nice way to spend the day, but IMO, it's very expensive when you have a water slide on board, the kids' clubs are open, etc. In fact my youngest stayed on board in 2006 when we got off and was perfectly happy to stay in the kids club.

In CC, we did the stingray encounter. I enjoyed that a lot and may do that again. There my youngest (he was 5 at the time) got scared of the sting rays and wouldn't go in :confused3 He still talks about it as one of the worst decisions he ever made :rotfl2:. I may do it this time so he can experience it. My oldest snorkeled with my brother and sisters once, but I don't think the snorkeling was all that great in terms of the fish. Again, that may have changed, and would probably be something your kids would like. He was 9 at the time.

The nice thing about DCL is that they don't charge you for the excursions when you make them like some lines do, so you can sign up and then if you change your mind over the next few months, just cancel.

Hi All,
Sorry we have not been on much. We have a family member that has been in and out of the hospital and lots of out of town guest staying with us. Anyway....... I will update the FE list this evening. If anyone wants to join, please do so soon. Lets close the group on Feb.15th. If that is ok with all.

I have many posts to read and get caught up on. Getting excited here.

Chris (Kenzie's Grandpa....LOL)

The other times we went to Nassau we just got off and walked around the town a bit. I think if I were on the 4 night or longer, I would look into doing something more in Nassau, but with such a limited time on the ship, we will get off for a bit and walk around - maybe the Fort, or the Straw Market and spend the bulk of the day onboard.

The nice thing about DCL is that they don't charge you for the excursions when you make them like some lines do, so you can sign up and then if you change your mind over the next few months, just cancel.

ok now you are making me think, just walk around! How far are the distances to the fort? Is this one of the places the excursions go to where the admission price is like $1? Is that a US$? What is Straw Market?

So they don't charge you for excursions when you book? Is that done on board then? I was planning on having to pay on the 23rd! SWEET!

Hi All,
Sorry we have not been on much. We have a family member that has been in and out of the hospital and lots of out of town guest staying with us. Anyway....... I will update the FE list this evening. If anyone wants to join, please do so soon. Lets close the group on Feb.15th. If that is ok with all.

Sorry to hear about the hospital visits!!! Even without that, you sound like you guys were busy! I think the 15th is fair!

ok now you are making me think, just walk around! How far are the distances to the fort? Is this one of the places the excursions go to where the admission price is like $1? Is that a US$? What is Straw Market?

So they don't charge you for excursions when you book? Is that done on board then? I was planning on having to pay on the 23rd! SWEET!

I think it's about a 30 minute walk to the Fort from what I've read. And yes, it is the place with the $1 entry fee, and every place in Nassau will take US $. The Straw Market is just a big shopping area. Mostly junky stuff, but one of those places to see and say you went. The vendors can be very pushy though.

This TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054539 discusses the walk to the Queen's Staircase and the Fort.

And yes, you will not be charged until you are onboard!

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your family member.

Thanks so much and sorry about your family member. Good point about canceling that helps!

Thank you all for your well wishes for us. It is my wife's aunt. Not doing good, but she is at peace with it at this point.

Reading through all the posts that I needed to get caught up on. It looks like the FE goup is still up to date. Remeber if you want to join, I will need your names, ages, and room number. :thumbsup2

Just a few things.
You can give what you want, when you want. Either to the room as a whole or person. Each day or once a trip. It is the thought that counts.
We have always found it is a good way to explor the ship (we did the mid-ship dectective game when we delivered our gifts)
Fun way to see all the door decorations.
(we took the kids with us the 1st day to deliver, then the wife and myself went the other day/evening when they were in the kids clubs)
Its all about having fun. :goofy:

Let me know if I missed anybody, or anything or if anyone has any questions.

I think I need to get my own screen name on here instead of using my wife's all the time. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Chris

oh come on, it is fun to be confused :lmao:

Ok so are we closed ;) Just trying to get a count so we can get started. I admit, I've been preoccupied with booking our Alaska May 2014 trip! I need to get back into the May 2013 trip first :)

Hi everyone!

I have sad news.... My family and I have decided to wait another year or two to take our daughter on a cruise. We have had to place her in daycare, so we are not in the right financial situation to take a cruise at this time. :(

Please take our room number 9580 off the group exchange. I hope you all have a wonderful time on the cruise!

Leslie

;)
Hi all. Here is the latest updated Fish Extender list.

Room 6514
Stephanie 40 (5.10.13) :bday: :drinking1
Oliver 4
Nana Carol

Room 6526
Courtney 29
Matthew 30
Jordan 3 (5.10.13) :bday:

Room 8510
Barb 58
Chris 45
Josie 9
Ellie 9
Molly 8

Room 8684
Arrianne 26 (5.10.13) :bday: :drinking1
Dave 30

Tom
Heather
Bethany 8

Neil 37
Sandy 37
Makayla 10
Allison 5

Room 9174
Shawn 36
Crystal 35
Christian 9
Ava 6

Brian
Heather

Final updated list. Any thoughts on a get together. Was thinking the Wave Bar prior to setting sail.

Chris :smickey:

I'd love to. I have no idea where that is or when we can get there. I get to do my online stuff this weekend (my date is the 23rd, does that mean I can stay up Friday night and do it at midnight?).

Anyone planning excursions? What are you guys doing? I'm thinking of the blue lagoon dolphin encounter in Nassau.

Also does anyone know how rebooking works on board? If I sign up for another 3 night, we get $100 obc for that cruise but what if later I switch it to a 7 night, will we get $200 or be stuck with just the $100?

Not planning any excrusions at this time. We have done the parasailing and also the stingray adventure on the private island, The grandchildren just loved it. Yes you should be able to do your online check in at midnight, that is what we did when we did our check in. when you do your on board reservation for a cruise you not only get the obc you will also get 10 or 20 percent off the price of your cruise. I am not sure of the exact percentage. As far as changing the length of cruise and credit, that I am not sure of. But if you post on main board I am sure someone will be able to answer your question. Good luck and am looking forward to meeting everyone

Barb

We're not booking any excursions either but I'm so excited that I'm sure ill stay up late and register tonight.

I'm game for a meet.

I'd love to. I have no idea where that is or when we can get there. I get to do my online stuff this weekend (my date is the 23rd, does that mean I can stay up Friday night and do it at midnight?).

Anyone planning excursions? What are you guys doing? I'm thinking of the blue lagoon dolphin encounter in Nassau.

Also does anyone know how rebooking works on board? If I sign up for another 3 night, we get $100 obc for that cruise but what if later I switch it to a 7 night, will we get $200 or be stuck with just the $100?

I did the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim in 1999, and at the time it was a great experience! I don't know if it has changed at all, but I loved it.

This time I am not booking anything in Nassau. We will get off the ship and probably walk around for a little while, but nothing major planned. I would rather enjoy some time on the ship. We also have massages booked for that afternoon onboard.

On CC, we did the stingray excursion in 2006. I had no intentions of doing it again this trip, but my DS(now 12, then 5), who does not even know we are going on this cruise, mentioned just recently how he was mad at himself for getting scared and not participating in the stingray experience (we were having a general discussion on missed opportunities in life :)). So now with that knowledge, I decided to book it. Then I was looking some more at the excursions and decided just to book that 4 in 1 thing (bike rental, floats, snorkel equipment and the stingray encounter). I figure this way we are covered for the day.

All checked in! :)

:thumbsup2

All checked in!! Can't wait first disney cruise

:thumbsup2

Not planning any excrusions at this time. We have done the parasailing and also the stingray adventure on the private island, The grandchildren just loved it. Yes you should be able to do your online check in at midnight, that is what we did when we did our check in. when you do your on board reservation for a cruise you not only get the obc you will also get 10 or 20 percent off the price of your cruise. I am not sure of the exact percentage. As far as changing the length of cruise and credit, that I am not sure of. But if you post on main board I am sure someone will be able to answer your question. Good luck and am looking forward to meeting everyone

Barb

Thanks for organizing the FE and keeping this thread going! I actually didn't sign up for it - I wasn't sure if I would have the time. But if you still have an opening, let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter