MAY 2020 WISH Challenge - Anything is Possible

Okay - sharing my shameful moment this morning -
Since you were brave enough time share, I’ll share mine. It was finally warm enough for me to put on shorts yesterday. But...even my gym shorts that were loose last summer were quite form fitting yesterday...and they’re not supposed to be fitted ;) So I’m using that as my motivation. No ran/walked a mile and a half this morning. Then went on a 5 mile bike ride with my son. And I added 2 more bags of salad to my grocery order for tomorrow.
and I agree with @Oneanne...no need to feel shame! Everything happens for a reason!

Two weeks ago, I would have said that one of my subtle changes is to walk on the beach every day. However, when my state started to gradually open on May 20th, people went hog-wild. Now I'm dealing with the fear of going to the beach. I only went once last week. Seeing large groups of people going to the beach without masks on has made the beach seem like a dangerous place. If I go, I will have to go very early in the morning which is hard right now while I'm still working from home. So, the beach is on hold for right now...

A major change going on inside of me is taking things "one day at a time" and not planning too far ahead. This experience has taught this control freak that "The best laid plans of Mice and Men often go awry." -John Steinbeck. Our now-cancelled trip to WDW that was scheduled for June 24th was planned last October. As usual, I did my research, ADR's, ordered magic bands, and even purchased a 50th Anniversary Cinderella magic band. I talked about this trip constantly. I plan everything. I'm a teacher, and one of our major tasks is Lesson Plans. I observe my students and make individualized plans for each of them. I make plans for tomorrow, next week, next year, 5-10 years from now. I'm a PLANNER. Now that I look at the world differently, I'm afraid to plan. I don't want to put in so much effort only to have my plans cancelled or changed. So, I now only think about what I need to do daily...maybe weekly for my job.

Since you were brave enough time share, I’ll share mine. It was finally warm enough for me to put on shorts yesterday. But...even my gym shorts that were loose last summer were quite form fitting yesterday...and they’re not supposed to be fitted ;) So I’m using that as my motivation. No ran/walked a mile and a half this morning. Then went on a 5 mile bike ride with my son. And I added 2 more bags of salad to my grocery order for tomorrow.
and I agree with @Oneanne...no need to feel shame! Everything happens for a reason!
Ok, here’s my moment of shame:
A few nights ago I was having trouble quieting those voices in my head. So at two in the morning, I crept downstairs and toasted and buttered a cinnamon raisin bagel and ate the whole thing:rolleyes:
When I got up the next morning and thought “what the heck???” So my clothes still fit, but I could wreck that pretty quickly. I need to put that behind me and focus on today’s choices.

45E65DB5-250C-4F74-A25E-2556685BF61F.jpeg

Two weeks ago, I would have said that one of my subtle changes is to walk on the beach every day. However, when my state started to gradually open on May 20th, people went hog-wild. Now I'm dealing with the fear of going to the beach. I only went once last week. Seeing large groups of people going to the beach without masks on has made the beach seem like a dangerous place. If I go, I will have to go very early in the morning which is hard right now while I'm still working from home. So, the beach is on hold for right now...

A major change going on inside of me is taking things "one day at a time" and not planning too far ahead. This experience has taught this control freak that "The best laid plans of Mice and Men often go awry." -John Steinbeck. Our now-cancelled trip to WDW that was scheduled for June 24th was planned last October. As usual, I did my research, ADR's, ordered magic bands, and even purchased a 50th Anniversary Cinderella magic band. I talked about this trip constantly. I plan everything. I'm a teacher, and one of our major tasks is Lesson Plans. I observe my students and make individualized plans for each of them. I make plans for tomorrow, next week, next year, 5-10 years from now. I'm a PLANNER. Now that I look at the world differently, I'm afraid to plan. I don't want to put in so much effort only to have my plans cancelled or changed. So, I now only think about what I need to do daily...maybe weekly for my job.
Hopefully you'll get more comfortable going to the beach, and will be able to resume your walks.

Hmmm... I think we've struck a nerver with this "shame" thing... why is putting on a bit of weight, or eating something we want shameful? There's alot of societal baggage to unpack here!
Societal baggage and childhood baggage in my case.

My mother took diet pills (speed) if she gained weight. When I was 11 or 12 and went through that awkward puberty baby-fat time period, I was put on Weight Watchers. Looking back at photos, I was tall and skinny. I don't see baby-fat, but I lost the 5-10 pounds anyway. Thus began my twisted body image issues. I was never actually overweight until my mother died of cancer. I started starving myself because I was in such unbearable grief and pain, until people force-fed me. Then I quickly put on 25 pounds. During my 20's I gained and lost, but never actually looked fat. I would give almost anything to have that gorgeous figure right now. Anyway, I started really packing on pounds while I was going through fertility treatments and got hormone shots every day for 3 years. I never lost my pregnancy weight. Now after losing 20 pounds this winter, I'm still 60 pounds overweight.

Over the last 40+ years, I have felt nothing but shame looking at my body in the mirror, whether I was a size 8 or a size 24. I have never felt confident looking at myself no matter how beautiful I was. Society certainly didn't help, but my upbringing by a mother who didn't really know any better herself, but insisted that being thin was very important, didn't really help either. Remember the saying, "You can never be too rich or too thin?" Oh yeah, that's what everybody said.

Monday Motivation- A friend that does CrossFit posted her Murph workout pic and I noticed it had an option for “Baby Murph”. I don’t CrossFit but felt if I was going to try and do it, Memorial Day was one heck of a day to do it. It was a half mile walk/run, followed by 10 rounds of exercises (arm lifts since I can’t do pull ups, I did modified push ups on the stairs, and squats), followed by one more half mile. Y’all, I thought I was going down in the last half mile. 😂 My legs are sore today!

Tuesday- we ate out a lot pre-COVID. We’ve done take out about once or twice a week since our restaurants closed. I miss it, but it’s been much nicer on our budget (and as a result our waistline). I’d like to continue to try and eat at home more.

...I make plans for tomorrow, next week, next year, 5-10 years from now. I'm a PLANNER. Now that I look at the world differently, I'm afraid to plan. I don't want to put in so much effort only to have my plans cancelled or changed. So, I now only think about what I need to do daily...maybe weekly for my job

I SO get this!

I feel exactly the same way about planning right now. It's not like me at all (I've usually got plan A, plan B, and plan C) but too far in the future is just not comfortable for me right now. (I actually have a coloring page up in my kitchen that says ”Yes is great, but no is better than maybe.”) I just can’t put that kind of mental investment into another trip while it would still be so tentative.

And massive :grouphug: on your other post! That sounds like a really rough road, and like you’re working hard to overcome it.

Last edited:
Monday Motivation- A friend that does CrossFit posted her Murph workout pic and I noticed it had an option for “Baby Murph”. I don’t CrossFit but felt if I was going to try and do it, Memorial Day was one heck of a day to do it. It was a half mile walk/run, followed by 10 rounds of exercises (arm lifts since I can’t do pull ups, I did modified push ups on the stairs, and squats), followed by one more half mile. Y’all, I thought I was going down in the last half mile. 😂 My legs are sore today!

Tuesday- we ate out a lot pre-COVID. We’ve done take out about once or twice a week since our restaurants closed. I miss it, but it’s been much nicer on our budget (and as a result our waistline). I’d like to continue to try and eat at home more.
That's a lot of exercise... no wonder you are sore!

NOOM is helping me around food shame... there are no "good" or "bad" foods just food, and there are no "cheats" there are just choices. Plan for them and work with them when they happen. And our bodies change sizes/shapes all the time. On my way to the beach Sunday I did drive thru a Starbucks for an iced chai, it was a holiday treat and I accomodated it in my calories for the day. I have to learn how to manage sugar, and this first go at it it went well.

Working on body shame as well... when I visualize myself happy in the future I'm always thin (and much younger looking) and I need to break this thought pattern, happiness isn't predicated on physical appearance. One of the mantras I say each day is "I give myself permission to feel good, above all else". To me that means feel good (emotionally and physically) now, not at some point in the future, when I lose the weight.

It's a lot to unwind though.

NOOM is helping me around food shame... there are no "good" or "bad" foods just food, and there are no "cheats" there are just choices. Plan for them and work with them when they happen. And our bodies change sizes/shapes all the time. On my way to the beach Sunday I did drive thru a Starbucks for an iced chai, it was a holiday treat and I accomodated it in my calories for the day. I have to learn how to manage sugar, and this first go at it it went well.

Working on body shame as well... when I visualize myself happy in the future I'm always thin (and much younger looking) and I need to break this thought pattern, happiness isn't predicated on physical appearance. One of the mantras I say each day is "I give myself permission to feel good, above all else". To me that means feel good (emotionally and physically) now, not at some point in the future, when I lose the weight.

It's a lot to unwind though.
Noom is the first weight loss program that has really worked. Now if I could just take advantage of all Noom offers instead of obsessing over this pandemic, I could be very successful.

Woohoo - I feel back on track. Went for a run and bike ride yesterday and ate much better than I had been. And already got a mile run in without any walking! Drinking my breakfast shake now and trying to squeeze in a bike ride before my first Google Meet at 10am. Then I’ll work until about 2-3. Then I take some time to relax outside reading a book. Then dinner and family game/movie night. So far that seems to be the best routine for me. So another woohoo to have found a routine!

Back with my WooHoo:
DS's air pods still work after having been found in his pants pocket --- while folding the washed and dried laundry! :scared:
When I discovered them yesterday, I immediately Googled and and found that there was a good chance they'd be OK, and that we should not touch them overnight. They worked this morning!

Health-related WooHoo is that I am a few minutes ahead of pace in my monthly exercise goal. :)

Woohoo - I feel back on track. Went for a run and bike ride yesterday and ate much better than I had been. And already got a mile run in without any walking! Drinking my breakfast shake now and trying to squeeze in a bike ride before my first Google Meet at 10am. Then I’ll work until about 2-3. Then I take some time to relax outside reading a book. Then dinner and family game/movie night. So far that seems to be the best routine for me. So another woohoo to have found a routine!
Sounds like a fabulous day!

Back with my WooHoo:
DS's air pods still work after having been found in his pants pocket --- while folding the washed and dried laundry! :scared:
When I discovered them yesterday, I immediately Googled and and found that there was a good chance they'd be OK, and that we should not touch them overnight. They worked this morning!

Health-related WooHoo is that I am a few minutes ahead of pace in my monthly exercise goal. :)
What would we do without Google... we're always looking up random stuff.

What would we do without Google... we're always looking up random stuff.

I know! I've tried to explain "the old days" to my DS - encyclopedias, library card catalogs... He even saw someone using a microfiche reader in an old TV show the other day!

But in spite of my love for nostalgia, I am really spoiled by instant access to information, and I would miss it so much if I didn't have it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!