May 2006 Bad experience at OKW and how it was handled

ryan840

DIS Veteran
Hi :wave2: Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up to be very sure of what is on your reservations! We stayed at OKW 4/30 - 5/5 and had a great stay, however we encountered a problem on our third of five nights. DH and I were on the dining plan and our two kids weren't as they are both under three. We were ordering dinner and a CM mentioned that there were three people on the plan, kind of insinuating that our two year old was actually three. We explained to him that he wasn't and he said to check with OKW because our room key did state that there was a child on the plan. We didn't really think much of it, actually thinking he just didn't know what he was talking about :blush: because nobody else had mentioned this to us at any other meal... Anyway, we got home very late so the next morning I stopped at concierge and asked about it. They had in fact charged us for a child's dining plan- somehow it had gotten on our reservation that we had five people in the room instead of four. They couldn't do anything for us there- we had to call MS which was frustrating since we were on vacation and very busy, but it didn't ruin our day. We called MS who then told us that we had to call the front desk and were nice enough to connect us and even talk to them for us (which was a good thing because I do not deal with the runaround very well). They agreed to refund it and we were satisfied for the moment. The big problem was that it was all linked to our debit card and since we didn't know about the charges until the day before check-out we ended up overspending. That is the first time we've ever had an overdraft in our account and it really set things spiraling for us! We talked to the bank and they agreed to remove the charges if we got a letter from OKW stating that they charged us in error. I was really expecting this to be a drawn out process but I called MS again who transferred me to OKW who transferred me to billing... and finally I was told that they would fax over the letter right away. Aside from being charged in the first place (and I checked my ressies a few times during planning and right before arriving, it was never on there) and the time spend worrying and making phone calls during our vacation, I was very impressed with how quickly it was taken care of, and in the end we didn't lose any money. Something to look out for in the future! I should add that even at check in she stated that the room was for 2 adults and 2 infants, so when she gave me a key for my two year old I didn't think much of it. I had never used the dining plan before so I didn't realize that that's what it was for or I would have said something right away.

Did they give you a receipt at the front desk? When I checked in at OKW on 4/27 with 3 friends, they gave us a receipt for the dining plan payment, although it was 3 cash and 1 Disney reward card.

DebbieB said:
Did they give you a receipt at the front desk? When I checked in at OKW on 4/27 with 3 friends, they gave us a receipt for the dining plan payment, although it was 3 cash and 1 Disney reward card.
Right, we had the same experience.

I'd made the DD arrangements and knew how much they were ($434 for us), so when I signed the credit card voucher to pay, I double checked the details and cost...all of which were perfect. You don't pay until check-in, so at the point of sale is the time to check the numbers -- not looking at your key card later.

I'm glad OP ran into an alert CM who noticed the discrepancy! I don't want to think about the damage that could have been done...

I'm adding this to my list of the thousands of reasons why debit cards are a really bad deal. I don't have one and probably never will....cause I have yet to find someone who has not had a problem with the debit cards. I agree that the debit card was not at fault in this situation...but who always ends up with the headache when problems arise with debit cards...the bank ???..nope...the vendor ???.. nope...it's always the cardholder.

i use my debit card all the time and have never had one problem with it yet,even booked a car through hertz last trip, they hold out cost and deposit which you know well in advance how much, so when i got home 2 days later it was released,,, i pay for my room and dinning plan in advance so paid off when i get there,

So glad the server found the mistake for you and that it was handled so well! Hope the rest of the trip was as great!

JimMIA said:
Right, we had the same experience.

I'd made the DD arrangements and knew how much they were ($434 for us), so when I signed the credit card voucher to pay, I double checked the details and cost...all of which were perfect. You don't pay until check-in, so at the point of sale is the time to check the numbers -- not looking at your key card later.

I'm glad OP ran into an alert CM who noticed the discrepancy! I don't want to think about the damage that could have been done...
I don't think I got a receipt showing the charge until checkout. At check-in she confirmed that I had 2 adults and 2 infants and told what me the charge would be, and it was the right price for two dining plans. You aren't actually charged until you check out.

abner1776 said:
I'm adding this to my list of the thousands of reasons why debit cards are a really bad deal. I don't have one and probably never will....cause I have yet to find someone who has not had a problem with the debit cards. I agree that the debit card was not at fault in this situation...but who always ends up with the headache when problems arise with debit cards...the bank ???..nope...the vendor ???.. nope...it's always the cardholder.
This is a good point. IMHO, it's always better to be able to fix things before the money leaves my bank account, not after. I've also had a few times where I've disputed a charge and the CC company backed me up it. (Plus, since we pay off our CC every month, we get Southwest Rapid Reward tickets and fly to DVC for free [well, almost free])

ryan840 said:
I don't think I got a receipt showing the charge until checkout. At check-in she confirmed that I had 2 adults and 2 infants and told what me the charge would be, and it was the right price for two dining plans. You aren't actually charged until you check out.

I think this depends. . . I stayed at OKW the first part of April. I knew what the total would be for the dining plan. Upon check in the CM stated that we had the dining plan and what the total was. I paid then. My receipt showed the amount on my bill and a credit of that amount.

This sounds bad but a child's meal plan is very cheap. You must run your account very low for the extra 50/60 bucks to send you over the edge. I know that your bugeting wasn't the point, but you may want to use a cc next time incase there are other errors. I was overcharged at one of shops in world showcase (actually charged twice). Errors happen all the time. I am glad that it all worked out for you! :wizard:

abner1776 said:
ITA -- no debit cards in our household for that very reason!!

abner1776 said:

And had they written a check how would that have been any different?
I know when we were there during the same time frame after we paid for the dining plan (and I knew how much to expect) we were given a receipt right then in there. She should have checked the receipt.

I don't get why people think debit cards are so evil.......Just be vigilant about them just as you would if you were paying cash, by check or credit card.

phorsenuf said:
I know when we were there during the same time frame after we paid for the dining plan (and I knew how much to expect) we were given a receipt right then in there. She should have checked the receipt.

I don't get why people think debit cards are so evil.......Just be vigilant about them just as you would if you were paying cash, by check or credit card.

Because you are more vulnerable when mistakes are made. For example, if a merchant double charges you by mistake. That money is out of your checking account while you try to resolve it. If they would have written a check, they could not have taken a wrong amount out of their account.

phorsenuf said:

If you'd read his post closely, abner1776 never said anything about writing a check. And I wouldn't have written a check either. Hardly ever do. You get lots more protection using credit cards. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter