Max Pass and Memory Maker Differences from DW

Tbrass84

Earning My Ears
I've gone to DW many times, and with the resorts, you get the 3 fast passes, and then we added on Memory Maker. However, it looks like DL is different from this, and my parents are taking my kids this summer. Can someone explain what they need to get fast passes and memory maker type stuff where they just scan your magic band or whatever after pics?

The fast pass system is very different between DLR and WDW. You do not book 3 fast passes ahead of time. You start collecting FP, one at a time, after you get to the park, either at a kiosk or on your phone if you purchased MaxPass. There are rules about when you're eligible to get another FP which have been written out nicely elsewhere, but basically you can get another one after you've used your previous FP or after a certain amount of time has passed. You don't get to pick your return time for the FP either, you are just offered the next available time and you can take it or leave it.

I've never been to WDW and I don't know exactly what memory maker is, but if what you're looking for is a way to download photos from photopass photographers and rides, that is in included with Max Pass.

First, the FastPass system at DLR is very different from that of WDW. You do not pick any in advance and MaxPass is not required. Without MaxPass, you will use the paper system by going up to the distribution kisok and scanning your park ticket. Once you pull a FastPass it will tell you when you can pull your next one on the ticket (I'm not sure of the exact timing, but I think it's around an hour). You will use these tickets to enter the FP queue at the ride during the assigned window.

With MaxPass (which does cost an additional $10 per day per ticket - you can buy it one day at a time or you can buy it for all days when the tickets are purchased), the system is basically the same except you can pull the FastPasses using your phone without going to the kiosks. I believe it also lets you pull more FPs sooner, but you cannot hold multiple FPs for the same ride (once it is used though you can get another). This lets you get more FPs throughout the day. You will scan your park ticket or your phone as you enter the FP lines.

The MaxPass comes with free PhotoPass for that day. Just scan your phone with the photographer or enter the number from a ride photo. If you do not use MaxPass, you can get a PhotoPass card to scan and then purchase the photos that you want. There are no Magic Bands used at DLR, so it's all based on Park Tickets and barcodes on the various cards.

First, the FastPass system at DLR is very different from that of WDW. You do not pick any in advance and MaxPass is not required. Without MaxPass, you will use the paper system by going up to the distribution kisok and scanning your park ticket. Once you pull a FastPass it will tell you when you can pull your next one on the ticket (I'm not sure of the exact timing, but I think it's around an hour). You will use these tickets to enter the FP queue at the ride during the assigned window.

With MaxPass (which does cost an additional $10 per day per ticket - you can buy it one day at a time or you can buy it for all days when the tickets are purchased), the system is basically the same except you can pull the FastPasses using your phone without going to the kiosks. I believe it also lets you pull more FPs sooner, but you cannot hold multiple FPs for the same ride (once it is used though you can get another). This lets you get more FPs throughout the day. You will scan your park ticket or your phone as you enter the FP lines.

The MaxPass comes with free PhotoPass for that day. Just scan your phone with the photographer or enter the number from a ride photo. If you do not use MaxPass, you can get a PhotoPass card to scan and then purchase the photos that you want. There are no Magic Bands used at DLR, so it's all based on Park Tickets and barcodes on the various cards.
Thank you. So, they will be there 4 days, and MaxPass would be $160 total. Is there a separate option just for PhotoPass downloads the way DW has MemoryMaker?

Thank you. So, they will be there 4 days, and MaxPass would be $160 total. Is there a separate option just for PhotoPass downloads the way DW has MemoryMaker?

There is a Disneyland PhotoPass+ option. It appears to be $78 for one week. If the photos are important, I'd go with MaxPass and get the added benefits for FPs.

MaxPass is $10 per day per guest in your party and you can purchase it either ahead of time with your park passes, if buying direct from Disney, or once you enter the park using the Disneyland App each day - it's super quick and easy to add on each day.

It contains PhotoPass for that day so any pictures you have taken by photographers or ride photos can be added and are included for that day - you can add them manually by entering the photo # or you can have the PP+ photographer scan the code on your app and they will show up quite quickly.

MaxPass really is maximum fast pass in that you can start booking fast passes as soon as you are in the park, even when you are waiting at rope drop and you can then continue to book passes as the windows open to do so meaning you can get a LOT of fast passes each day - we have booked about a dozen at least per day and you can continue to book fast passes even if you leave the park for a mid day break and then use them when you return as long as the fast pass window is for when you plan to return. You return to use your fast passes either by scanning the app or scanning your park ticket, as the fast pass is connected to the ticket.

Yes, I believe it can be purchased separately, but I don't know the price. You have the option to purchase MaxPass for some days and not others. You also have the option to purchase MaxPass for just one person and use it only for PhotoPass, not for FP (I believe it often comes out cheaper than purchasing photopass separately).

Yes, I believe it can be purchased separately, but I don't know the price. You have the option to purchase MaxPass for some days and not others. You also have the option to purchase MaxPass for just one person and use it only for PhotoPass, not for FP (I believe it often comes out cheaper than purchasing photopass separately).

That is true. If the photos are all you want, doing MaxPass for one person should come out cheaper than the $78 weekly PhotoPass+.

Note that regardless of whether you get MaxPass or decide to stick with regular Fastpass, it is your ticket that lets you into the Fastpass line. The little piece of paper you get from the Fastpass machine is not your Fastpass, it's just a reminder. If you've scanned your ticket into your phone, you can use it to redeem Fastpasses.

From one WDW vet to another, Maxpass is like the old paper fastpasses at WDW but on a phone app. They also still use paper fastpasses at Disneyland. No magic band scanning for pics. You have to go find yours/the number on the display after the ride or scan a card at the photographer.

Good info and advice already. From someone who has used DLR's MP on 3 trips now, and WDW's FP+ on 3 trips now, a few more comments.

First, I think MP is a no-brainer except in special cases where maybe your group are grandparents and young kids who can't do the headliners. Or you will be arriving late to the parks or leaving early. Any day you plan to spend most of an entire day in the parks, I think they are a no-brainer. If you have the parkhopper option, they are a no-brainer times 2 because they really help with getting onto opposite park rides like RSR and GOTG.

Once you are in the parks, MP feels a lot like FP+ and kind of works like it thru your phone. Some key differences once you are in the parks:

1. Like legacy paper FP, the FP/MP distribution starts with a morning window and moves forward throughout the day - unlike WDW where you can choose your window (in advance of course, unlike DLR) but also day of when you are in the parks.

2. You only choose one MP at a time, but can hold multiple FP/MPs if windows for previous MPs have not yet arrived.

3. Other guests who have MP can cancel their MP and thus switch to a different MP ride. What that means for you is sometimes a MP comes up for an earlier time frame even though the moving window has passed. For example, say you are trying to get a MP for Space Mtn. And the current window you see on the DLR app says 7-8PM. But right now it is Noon. Keep an eye on MP because if someone cancels, out of the blue a Noon MP will pop up and you can grab it. This is sort of like how FP+ works at WDW when others cancel. This also applies if all MP/FPs are distributed for the day and none are available. For those using paper FP, they are out of luck for FP that day. But for MP users, MPs can become available at this point if others cancel. So you need to keep refreshing the DLR app like you do at WDW. Along these lines, if I have MPs and leave the parks for the day and know I cannot use them, I cancel them so other MP users can grab them. Sort of like the old legacy FP days when you spread some pixie dust and gave your FP paper passes to a stranger when you knew you could not use them.

4. DLR occasionally has "Instant FPs" that show up in MP. The traditional wait window of 40 minutes is not used. You can get a FP for a headliner ride, even though the standby queue is 60 minutes, and if it is an instant MP, just grab the MP on walk thru the FP line and pass the standby queue.

5. You can book MPs at the opposite park at any time. The two systems at DL and DCA are linked. So if you are at DL and have an open window for MP, you can get an MP for anything at DL or DCA. And vice versa.

6. When you take a lunch break or afternoon break to the hotel, you can continue to accumulate MPs.

7. Similar to WDW, if your FP is for a ride that goes down in your window, you get the ability from your phone to change it to other rides. At DLR they often just give a "MEFP" Multiple Experience FP which you can use on (almost) any ride at any time. Even on rides that do not offer FP. Just show the MEFP to the CMs at the ride and they will let you on. Similar to WDW, the most popular one or two rides are usually excluded from this.

Photopass

And, as others have said, if you want Photopass anyways, that offsets the cost of the MPs. If your group is small it may entirely cover the cost.

Since DLR does not have MagicBands (yet), then you have to claim each photo you want and it will send it to your DLR app for download. You cannot rely on a MB automagically sending your ride photos to your account like WDW does (something I think is extremely cool BTW). What I do at DLR is after I get off a ride, I take a quick photo of the ride photo that displays at the end of the ride so I can get the photo ID for FP. Then right away, or later that night (or really any time over the next 30-60 days) you can type that ID into the DLR app (or on your DLR account on your computer or tablet) and get your photos.

Hope that helps!

:wizard:

Last edited:
I will add one more (annoying) difference between FP+ at WDW and MP at DLR. With MP, you can NOT modify a FP after you've booked it. You have to cancel it and then book another time or another ride. The reason this is annoying is that often at WDW, you can book a FP for something 5 hours from now, but then "Modify" and see if earlier times (or another ride that you want to ride even more) come available. If this happens, you can modify and get the new time or ride, knowing you aren't losing your existing FP until you are locked into the better FP. At DL, if you see a better time, you have to risk getting out of the screen, canceling your existing FP, then getting back to the booking screen to try to catch the good one you wanted. Rarely works as these good FP times (ie sooner return time) are fleeting. So usually you are just stuck with what you already booked because you don't want to risk canceling the one you have and not being able to get the other one. (this only happens if you are trying to get a better time on a ride or if you are blocked out from booking another FP because of the return time of a FP you've already booked; if your window is open and you don't have a FP for the ride you want, you can just book it). This is my ONLY beef with MP; otherwise I am in deep love with it!!

Good info and advice already. From someone who has used DLR's MP on 3 trips now, and WDW's FP+ on 3 trips now, a few more comments.

First, I think MP is a no-brainer except in special cases where maybe your group are grandparents and young kids who can't do the headliners. Or you will be arriving late to the parks or leaving early. Any day you plan to spend most of an entire day in the parks, I think they are a no-brainer. If you have the parkhopper option, they are a no-brainer times 2 because they really help with getting onto opposite park rides like RSR and GOTG.

Once your are in the parks, MP feels a lot like FP+ and kind of works like it thru your phone. Some key differences once you are in the parks:

1. Like legacy paper FP, the FP/MP distribution starts with a morning window and moves forward throughout the day - unlike WDW where you can choose your window (in advance of course, unlike DLR) but also day of when you are in the parks.

2. You only choose one MP at a time, but can hold multiple FP/MPs if windows for previous MP have not yet arrived.

3. Other guests who have MP can cancel their MP and thus switch to a different MP ride. What that means for you is sometimes a MP comes up for an earlier time frame even though the moving window has passed. For example, say you are trying to get a MP for Space Mtn. And the current window you see on the DLR app says 7-8PM. But right now it is Noon. Keep an eye on MP because if someone cancels, out of the blue a Noon MP will pop up and you can grab it. This is sort of like how FP+ works at WDW when others cancel. This also applies if all MP/FPs are distributed for the day and none are available. For those using paper FP, they are out of luck for FP that day. But for MP users, MPs can become available at this point if other cancel. So you need to keep refreshing the DLR app like you do at WDW. Along these lines, if I have MPs and leave the parks for the day and know I cannot use them, I cancel them so other MP users can grab them. Sort of like the old legacy FP days when you spread some pixie dust and gave your FP paper passes to a stranger when you knew you could not use them.

4. DLR occasionally has "Instant FPs" that show up in MP. The traditional wait window of 40 minute is not used. You can get a FP for a headliner ride, even though the standby queue is 60 minutes, and if it is instant MP, just grab the MP on walk thru the FP line and pass the standby queue.

5. You can book MPs at the opposite park at any time. The two systems at DL and DCA are linked. So if you are at DL and have an open window for MP, you can get an MP for anything at DL or DCA. And vice versa.

6. When you take a lunch break or afternoon break to the hotel, you can continue to accumulate MPs.

7. Similar to WDW, if your FP is for a ride that goes down in your window, you get the ability from your phone to change it to other rides. At DLR they oftne just give a "MEFP" Multiple Experience FP which you can use on (almost) any ride at any time. Even on rides that do not offer FP. Just show the MEFP to the CMs at the ride and they will let you on. Similar to WDW, the most popular one or two rides are usually excluded from this.
This a great explanation! One really newbie question from someone who hasn't used MP yet: How do you refresh the app to look for different FP's for a specific ride and/or time?

Photopass

And, as others have said, if you want Photopass anyways, that offsets the cost of the MPs. If your group is small it may entirely cover the cost.

Since DLR does not have MagicBands (yet), then you have to claim each photo you want and it will send it to your DLR app for download. You cannot rely on a MB automagically sending your ride photos to your account like WDW does (something I think is extremely cool BTW). What I do at DLR is after I get off a ride, I take a quick photo of the ride photo that displays at the end of the ride so I can get the photo ID for FP. Then right away, or later that night (or really any time over the next 30-60 days) you can type that ID into the DLR app (or on your DLR account on your computer or tablet) and get your photos.

Hope that helps!

Once you are in the parks, MP feels a lot like FP+ and kind of works like it thru your phone. Some key differences once you are in the parks:

2. You only choose one MP at a time, but can hold multiple FP/MPs if windows for previous MPs have not yet arrived.

3. Other guests who have MP can cancel their MP and thus switch to a different MP ride. What that means for you is sometimes a MP comes up for an earlier time frame even though the moving window has passed. For example, say you are trying to get a MP for Space Mtn. And the current window you see on the DLR app says 7-8PM. But right now it is Noon. Keep an eye on MP because if someone cancels, out of the blue a Noon MP will pop up and you can grab it. This is sort of like how FP+ works at WDW when others cancel. This also applies if all MP/FPs are distributed for the day and none are available. For those using paper FP, they are out of luck for FP that day. But for MP users, MPs can become available at this point if other cancel. So you need to keep refreshing the DLR app like you do at WDW. Along these lines, if I have MPs and leave the parks for the day and know I cannot use them, I cancel them so other MP users can grab them. Sort of like the old legacy FP days when you spread some pixie dust and gave your FP paper passes to a stranger when you knew you could not use them.

4. DLR occasionally has "Instant FPs" that show up in MP. The traditional wait window of 40 minutes is not used. You can get a FP for a headliner ride, even though the standby queue is 60 minutes, and if it is an instant MP, just grab the MP on walk thru the FP line and pass the standby queue.

7. Similar to WDW, if your FP is for a ride that goes down in your window, you get the ability from your phone to change it to other rides. At DLR they often just give a "MEFP" Multiple Experience FP which you can use on (almost) any ride at any time. Even on rides that do not offer FP. Just show the MEFP to the CMs at the ride and they will let you on. Similar to WDW, the most popular one or two rides are usually excluded from this.

Photopass

Hope that helps!

Great information. Thank you

For everyone to have FPs, everyone has to have MaxPass

BUT- if ONE person gets max pass every day which is only $40 for 4 days, then you get all your photopass photos for each day through that person.

So, on a four day trip, you can use MaxPass as a $40 alternative to the $78 weekly photopass.

If they do not want to spend $160 for everyone to have Max Pass everyday- I would suggest picking one or two days to pay for everyone to have Max Pass to use it for FP, and then on the other 2 or 3 days have one person spend $10 to get it so you can get the photopass photos for those days.

For everyone to have FPs, everyone has to have MaxPass

BUT- if ONE person gets max pass every day which is only $40 for 4 days, then you get all your photopass photos for each day through that person.

So, on a four day trip, you can use MaxPass as a $40 alternative to the $78 weekly photopass.

If they do not want to spend $160 for everyone to have Max Pass everyday- I would suggest picking one or two days to pay for everyone to have Max Pass to use it for FP, and then on the other 2 or 3 days have one person spend $10 to get it so you can get the photopass photos for those days.
I want to make a small note on your statement. Guests who do not purchase MaxPass can continue to get fast passes. However, they have to do it the old fashioned way. They must go from attraction to attraction to obtain them and switch parks.

Personally, I love the system. On my most recent visit, we usually obtained the next fastness as soon as the window opened regardless of where we were or which park we were in. Without MaxPass, if my window opens at 2:00 and I'm eating lunch, I have to wait until after lunch to get my next pass. But if I have MaxPass, I just pull out my phone, decide what I want to ride and I'm done.

Plus, it seems to me that the MaxPass window is a bit shorter than the fast pass window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter