Max Occupancy in DVC Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

zfw4609

Earning My Ears
Will Disney allow 2 adults and 3 toddlers in a 1BR villa? I read somewhere that the max capacity for a 1BR was 4 but I'm not sure how young children are counted.

zfw4609

As long as at least one is under the age of 3, yes. But your best route is to call MS tomorrow.

Stated occupancy limits for a 1BR villa at all DVC resorts are four plus a child under age 3 in the provided pack-n-play. Many have reported no problems having more in the room and some have reported having MS note the additional occupants on their reservation confirmation. DVC resorts will not provide extra beds/cots or linens, but are not likely to do a head count to find the number in the room. Some have had great success taking an air mattress for additional sleeping space.

For a glimpse at the polar attitudes about this topic, please take a look at this closed occupancy thread.

We are going to give the topic of Occupancy another chance here on our DVC Discussion Board. Please keep within our DIS Posting Guidelines, and allow the topic to remain open here. Thanks everyone in advance!

I read on the community board that someone who went to a member meeting at SSR was told that MS has officially raised the occupancy limits in a 1BR to 5 adults. If true, this should take some of the heat out of this topic. They still will not provide extra linens.

Originally posted by pplasky
I read on the community board that someone who went to a member meeting at SSR was told that MS has officially raised the occupancy limits in a 1BR to 5 adults. If true, this should take some of the heat out of this topic. They still will not provide extra linens.

Maistre Gracey is a very reliable source for that infromation. I trust it is accurate. I just wish they bothered to print it in the new vacation planner.

BTW: Thanks for opening this thread again. The topic is worthy of a civil discussion.

HBC

Even though a 1 bedroom seems roomy, it is still only 2 beds, one in the master and one fold out. Several kids in 1 bed.....okay. Three adults in one bed????? I guess I am just a boring, old fashioned housewife LOL! I know folks bring air matresses sometimes, so I guess to each his own. Five adults using one bathroom seems like too much to me, reminds me of my sorority days.:) Not trying to make anyone mad, but I just don't think people really think it through, they are just looking for the least amount of points.

Unfortunately, MS can't unilaterally change this. If there was an official change, we would likely know about in a different way--they would have to change all the official documents and this will delay closings that are in process (this actually happened to us with one of our point purchases--as soon as they made changes in the documents, they sent all the changes and new POS's to everyone and gave everyone an additional 14 day window to opt out and delayed all closings even though they really were not material changes).

I should add, the OP is talking about young kids, I don't think anyone would have a propblem with that. But MS allowing 5 ADULTS sounds crazy to me. JMHO.

Just curious as to where this 5th person would sleep? Not trying to start anything but (will they bring up a cot) or are they allowing use of a sleeping bag type thing?

Here's the thread where 5 to a 1BR was mentioned:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=6868151

Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
After the meeting, I chatted with Judi Kaufman (sp?), and one of the lead people in Member Services. I asked several questions, including occupancy rules, home resort retention when transferring points, and about housekeeping.
They responded that occupancy limits has just been raised to 5 adults in a 1br, with no additional bedding provided. Studio is still 4, and 2br still 8.

So, no new bedding. If you want a 5th person in the unit, they will have to bring a sleeping bag or air mattress. While most adults wouldn't want to sleep on the floor, I bet the kids would be fighting over who wouldn't have to share the fold-out!

I can understand 5 in a 1 bedroom if you have small children. But I agree where will the 5th one sleep in not a child. We have three boys, youngest is 2 so he could sleep with us in the master but I think we would all be very unconfortable for a whole week.

My other issue with 1 bedroom vs. 2 bedroom is that if my older boys are sleeping in the living area, and my youngest is asleep in the master, where do we to watch TV or read or enjoy being by ourselves. This is why we do prefer the 2 bedrooms.

I don't think they are going to change the contract or put it in writing because if it read 5, there would be an expectation that they will provide bedding and linens for 5. I think it's more of an "unofficial policy". Actually, the product understanding checklist that I received says limit of 4 in a studio or 1 bedroom. It does not mention anything about a child under 3, so that is also an unofficial extension.

Judy Kaufman is certainly a well-respected DVC CM. She has been the vacation guide for many on this site and is very knowledgeable. The comments she reportedly made at the update are consistent with the attitude DVC seems to have taken about the occupancy issue.

The "official" written policy still states that the 1BR villa sleeps four (plus the child under 3). Since the indication is that no additional bedding or linens will be provided, that written policy still may stand, but the apparent comments indicate an attitude that DVC is still not planning to do head counts in DVC accommodations. I do not expect to see anything in writing from DVC about this - since additional bedding would need to be provided if occupancy is truly being changed. I view the comments as "what DVC is allowing" rather than a change in any "official" stance. I think it's more of a clarification of how DVC intends to turn it's head regarding this issue.

It would be interesting to hear a comment from DVC about occupancy in the other villa sizes. Logic would suggest that the same attitude exists for 2BR villas and GV's - if not in studio units.

A suggestion for a small child that is too large for the pack and play... I realize this is not a perfect solution, but it can work. We didn't need to do this, but in a few years who knows. When you open the sofa bed in the living room of the 1 or 2 bedroom we used the cushions as a brace of sorts between the could and love seat. That love seat, with sheets and a blanket on it would make an okay bed for a child that is too big for a pack and play if you didn't want to have them sleep as the 3rd in one of the existing beds or buy an air mattress. I'm not saying this is the safest or best option - only an option. My 4 year old would probably do fine there.

As I always say, if MS will take the reservation than who am I to protest ;).

I agree, we aren't lilkely to see anything in writing regarding 5 in a 1Br. If MS wants to take a reservation for 5 adults with the expectation of bedding for only 4 I'm fine with that. Let the occupants worry about who sleeps where.

I think 5 should be allowed in a one bedroom, and who cares where they sleep? If they can work it out amongst themselves it's fine with me.

To those who think 5 in a one bedroom is too many: The Deluxe resorts allow 5 adults in a single hotel room. The rooms have two queen sized beds and a day bed. One bathroom.

A DVC 1 BR unit (yes even the "small" ones at BWV where you can grab a beer from the fridge when you're on the terrace :)) are all considerably larger than any of the deluxe resort rooms that allow 5.

So I think it should be a personal decision for whoever is traveling. If those going are willing to sleep 5 in a 1 BR I say let them figure out who sleeps where and leave them alone. ::yes:: :flower1: :wizard:

Doesn't really appear that there was any change in policy that occurred in any official sense. The quote from Master Gracey was far from a claim that an "official policy" had been changed. Just a reiteration really of what we have heard from MS for quite a while on this issue.

Originally posted by Doctor P
Doesn't really appear that there was any change in policy that occurred in any official sense. The quote from Master Gracey was far from a claim that an "official policy" had been changed. Just a reiteration really of what we have heard from MS for quite a while on this issue.
The official written policy per the contract is 4, even the "plus one under three" is an add on by DVC. I'd bet DVC will not put the 5 in a 1 BR in writing other than possibly listing 5 on the confirmation. DVC has not shown much attention to enforcing the policy until recently but as long as people are "reasonable", I doubt there'll be much issue. But it is an issue that affects every member to one extent or another, even if only by increased maintenance, amenity usage and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!