Mask ear protectors for long flights?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I might possibly get on a plane soon and was wondering if anyone has a favorite style of ear protector for masks? I have one kind with little spokes that grab the sides but it catches in my hair, I might still use it but thought other people might have recommendations. I was even thinking plastic covered paper clips could do the trick and take the pressure off my ears.

I might possibly get on a plane soon and was wondering if anyone has a favorite style of ear protector for masks? I have one kind with little spokes that grab the sides but it catches in my hair, I might still use it but thought other people might have recommendations. I was even thinking plastic covered paper clips could do the trick and take the pressure off my ears.

Have you thought about using a true N95 with the elastic around the head versus the ears?

Have you thought about using a true N95 with the elastic around the head versus the ears?
I have lots of those and use them at medical facilities all the time but it reduces air a smidge which is balanced out by me by sitting still or moving a bit slower, a flight means sitting still quite a lot but I just don't know if the air pressure on a plane would make it better or not. Best guess is the pressure in the cabin is probably higher than in the real world and cooler so lighter so it could be way easier to use on a plane than on the ground but it's a coin toss for me, the KN95's I use are easier to wear but hard on the ears after a while so I would want to get ahead of that. Maybe people will start sharing tips, I am hoping :)

I have lots of those and use them at medical facilities all the time but it reduces air a smidge which is balanced out by me by sitting still or moving a bit slower, a flight means sitting still quite a lot but I just don't know if the air pressure on a plane would make it better or not. Best guess is the pressure in the cabin is probably higher than in the real world and cooler so lighter so it could be way easier to use on a plane than on the ground but it's a coin toss for me, the KN95's I use are easier to wear but hard on the ears after a while so I would want to get ahead of that. Maybe people will start sharing tips, I am hoping :)

I just flew from California to Virginia a few weeks ago. I only had the KN95s. Honestly, there's still so much leakage with them, even my tight ones, that I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing. Anyway, several people had on N95s and I was kicking myself for not doing so. I do think that sitting down and being calm would make them easier to wear. My KN95 didn't bother me at all on the plane; however, it will get to me in my office or when I'm shopping.

That doesn't mean some people don't still feel more comfortable wearing them...
We travel often and very few.. probably less than a dozen mask on domestic flights. Airplanes have incredible filtration systems. They are very safe. Although if one still feels the need...no problem. I was merely pointing out they are no longer a requirement

Last edited:
We travel often and very few.. probably less than a dozen mask on domestic flights. Airplanes have incredible filtration systems. They are very safe. Although if one still feels the need...no problem. I was merely pointing out they are no longer a requirement
The travel vloggers seem to put mask use at about 50% on flights.

I sewed buttons on a piece of elastic - which I promptly lost on the first leg of my flight 😂 I’ve also used pipe cleaners.
Then I bought these View attachment 681081

I'll give them a try, thanks.
We use these. They work well. DH likes that they are adjustable.

I've also used Disney pins, one on each side of a hat/cap. I use the larger, rounder pins (e.g. a Mickey face). Good excuse to buy cute pins in pairs!

I wear these the most (very comfortable and secure): https://www.etsy.com/listing/832785...ily&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

1656813019428.png

https://www.etsy.com/listing/830343...ily&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

1656813090686.png

We’ve been flying regularly between Australia and Dallas over the last 3mths. Even today’s flight had a large percentage of passengers still wearing masks. My husband, 15yo and myself all wore ours the whole time. The 12yo pretty much took his off once on the plane.

I find the surgical masks are comfortable enough to not really need anything. I'm flying next week and wearing a mask. We have community spread where I'm at now. No reason to risk getting sick again.

They are comfortable but aren't really protective. If you are ill yourself, they are certainly good to wear to try to keep things in, but I wouldn't be using one of those for protection.

We use these. They work well. DH likes that they are adjustable.

I've also used Disney pins, one on each side of a hat/cap. I use the larger, rounder pins (e.g. a Mickey face). Good excuse to buy cute pins in pairs!

I wear these the most (very comfortable and secure): https://www.etsy.com/listing/832785...ily&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

View attachment 681203

https://www.etsy.com/listing/830343...ily&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

View attachment 681204
Can't say how much I totally LOVE this idea, so cute, what sort of clasp is going on the glasses?

I am flying in two weeks, and I will be wearing one.
I bought some crocheted ones off of etsy that have buttons, to hook them on, and it then goes behind your head like the other ones. They are very soft.
Do you have any images? I have always liked crocheted things, something softly whimsical about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter