March 30th 3/nt Wonder-who else?

We'll be on spring break too.

Karin - what went wrong with your last trip? This will be our 4th trip to WDW and 1st cruise, but our first 3 WDW trips were unbelievable. I don't know who enjoyed it more, us or the kids. We've always had such a blast. I'm sad for you that it wasn't like that. I hope this one is much better :wizard:

Well, the morning we were leaving, Keri (DD) said her throat hurt when she woke up. That happens frequently, so I kind of blew it off and told her to drink some water and she'll feel better when she wakes up more. Lo and behold - by the time we got to Florida (around dinner time) she had a 102 fever. I felt terrible. :sad1: She was quite the trooper, but obviously did not enjoy much when we were out and about. We left on Sunday and her fever didn't break until Wednesday. In hindsight, I think she probably had strep, and we should have taken her to the Dr. down there, but we didn't make that choice. Now when she gets a sore throat, we always ask, "is it like Florida?". She says "never like in Florida". Poor little thing.

We went over MEA week, so it was in October, and it was UNSEASONABLY hot and humid down there. I can honestly say - worse than Minnesota! The humidity didn't break until Wednesday either. It wouldn't have been so bad, but it made it just that much worse for Keri.

Let's see...the trip to Disney was a gift from my MIL for Christmas. She said instead of flying us out to see her in AZ, she'd fly us to Florida. My DH and I decided we should ask her if she wanted to go with us, and she was thrilled. We then asked my mom and dad. You can imagine the rest. 7 people, 2 rooms. My mom is very passive, my MIL very aggressive. That does not mix well. MIL had been to Disney several times. Things we would have like to have seen, she would say "I've seen it, you don't need to do that". So, to not start anything, we wouldn't see it. My mom had told me by Thursday, that I ruined her vacation. The whole trip was very emotional. So many people warned me - don't bring both sets of parents, but I kept saying, we're going to Disney - the Pixie Dust will be there!

I got the 7 day park hopper passes. I then bought for everyone, a ticket to Mickeys Not So Scarry Halloween party, as a little surprise. We did Chef Mickey's before hand, then went back to Magic Kingdom to experience this, and my DH got sick. We didn't leave the park, but he was miserable. I don't think there was a bathroom he didn't use. Stomach flu -- yuck! He was a trooper but very crabby. I told him we could leave, and he didn't want to. At one point the kids were trick or treating and waiting in line with my mom. MIL walked up, moved my mom out of the way, and told the kids to basically budge in line (by taking a different route). We were MORTIFIED. I looked at my husband when she started walking towards them and we were both saying OH, OH! What is she going to do? We were so angry. My mom was angry. UUUUGGGH! :furious: This all happened on Tuesday.

We went to Sea World on Thursday and I had also purchased tickets to "Dine with Shamu", as a thank you to my parents and MIL for all that they do for us (which is really alot!). It was supposed to be great - we had a table right by the training pool, Shamu would come out of the water in front of each table so you could take a picture - and DS and I missed it. He had to use the rest room, of course this is broken in the restaurant, so we had to leave to find one. By the time we got back, it was over! I was so dissappointed, so was Ryan! The park was starting to close up, and my mom wanted to buy something for the kids, so we had been looking around at the different shops. Ryan got his thing, and Keri really wanted this mood ring. The store was in the middle of the park, no where near where we were and my mom was no where to be found. I took Keri to the store to buy the ring for her (it was like 9.00). I was going to just have my mom pay me back. While we were in the store, my mom comes STORMING in, all upset, that I took that priveledge away from her. I said what priveledge - she said buying her a souvenier. I told her I didn't know where she was, the park and shops were closing, and that we hadn't paid for it yet - she could still buy it, I just wanted to make sure she got what she wanted. My mom basically said, if she couldn't buy it, Keri couldn't have it. I was shocked - Keri was crying. I said - go ahead and buy it - that's not a problem. I told her I couldn't find her, so thought it best to run and get it, she said I was lying and that I looked right at her, and walked right by her. :confused3 Needless to say, that's when she told me I ruined her vacation. I was so upset. I would never treat my parents OR my MIL that way.

To make a long story short - too many people, too many personalities, too many personal emotions, too high of expectations.

This trip - there will be no rushing, no real set plans. I did book the 2 excursions, but I'm not worried about those. I have no expectations of the trip. I pray for warm weather, good health, and patience for us all. It will be just the 4 of us, so that will help. The kids are really excited too!

You are a saint for coming back with you parents and MIL still alive :rotfl2: I'm so sorry it was a bad experience. Forget about it - this year will make up for all of it - I'm sure of it. When you read it though, and I know it must have been horrible to live it, you kind of have to laugh at some of it (like the MIL budging in line) not Kerry and your Dh being sick. Memories!! :rotfl: trust me, your kids will be telling the story for decades to come!

March has always been wonderful weather for us. It's never humid even if it is hot in my experience, at least not like MN is. And we've never had mosquitoes thank god! Even though we've had a pretty warm winter, I can't wait to get out of here. :sunny:

My family and I are going to be on the disney wonder the 30th-2nd also!! :woohoo:
We have a DD11 and a DD13, who would love to meet some other kids on the ship that they can have fun with!
This will be our first cruise ever, and we are SO excited!
We are also bringing my widowed FIL, and I am hoping that he will have as much fun as we are planning to have!! :Pinkbounc

Can't wait to meet you guys!!

I'm such a big whiner about it all! I can laugh at some of it, but I still can't scrapbook the pictures! I am 100% sure this trip will be fantastic! We are all getting so excited to go - I think even my husband is.

I can't wait to get out of here either. We certainly cannot complain about our winter so far, although now it's cold. I hate to say it, I'm hoping for a freeze up here when we're gone! Shame on me!

Alicep - Can't wait to meet you! :wave2: My kids are excited to meet some other kids on the boat too! Wow - maybe there will be some adult time! Yippeee! :teeth: Will you be spending any time in the parks either before or after the cruise? I'm sure your FIL will just enjoy being with you all and watching his grandkids!

Even though our first trip to Disney had other memories I wasn't planning on, My mom and dad still talk about how much fun they had watching the kids! I'd love to remind my mom of some of the comments she made, but would never take away anything from the trip for her! Shame on me again - I am so lucky to have them and my MIL still around! :love: We truly are blessed, and I have to remember, the trip wasn't just for me. Wow, maybe I'm finally getting over it - my DH will be so happy! :cool1:

Ok.....LAST MINUTE!!!

Last minute surprise....

My wife and I will be coming w/ 2 out of our 3 boys....( Oldest is at Michigan State University)

We will be traveling w/ a 16 year old boy ( Joe), he enjoys sports A LOT!! He is on the high school varsity soccer team, and also runs track, and basketball. Like any teen, he loves his IPOD!!!it is alway's stuck in his ears.... and our youngest son Zack age 10 who aslo loves soccer....REALLY!! I know you hear it a lot, but my boys are good kids...REALLY!!! Come on!!! REALLY!!!

Joe ( 16)is the shy one....I hope he meets a couple of friends to hang with....Zack ( 10yr old) we don't have to worry about...heck...he'll meet friends on the way to the ship!!!

We are from Mid Michigan....and can't wait to get where it's warm!!!!

We will be flying down on 3/24/2006 to spend a few days at the pool relaxing...

We're going too!

"We" consists of myself, DW, DS (12), and DD (9). We're going to spend a few days at the parks first and then off to the ship. We can't wait!

Rob

I have tears in my eyes I'm so darn excited!!!

Can't wait to meet you and your families!

Here I was so worried a year ago (when I booked our trip) that my kids wouldn't meet anyone new! They are so excited not to have to hang around each other the whole time! :woohoo:

dtheboys & wwtbamrob - where are you staying before the cruise? We'll be at AKL and believe me, because of the cost - we WILL be spending time at the pool relaxing!

See you all on the 30th!

Karin :wave2:

by the way! Happy Valentines Day everyone! :love: :lovestruc

disnlvr+3 said:
dtheboys & wwtbamrob - where are you staying before the cruise? We'll be at AKL and believe me, because of the cost - we WILL be spending time at the pool relaxing!

We'll be at POR. We have annual passes, so I imagine most of our time will be spent in the parks. Right now it is looking like 1 day each at MK, Epcot, and MGM. Not sure what we'll do the first day when we arrive midday.

Rob

Hi,
We will be staying at Universal Portofino Hotel prior to the cruise this year....

We are Disney Vacation Club members, but we decided to see and stay at Universal this year....we wanted to get the front of the line passes that come w/ the hotel stay.....

We have been coming and staying at Disney for 19 years...it will be very different not staying at Disney!!! I guess we'll get our Disney fix on the ship....

We've been seeing a lot of commercials for Universal. I can't wait to hear about it. It looks like so much fun. This is only our 2nd time to Disney. The first was no so great (read previous posts), but I have no high expectations this trip. My DH is not a big fan of Disney. I'd love to convert him though.

I'm hoping the cruise part he falls in love with. We'll see. :goodvibes

I know we'll be doing MK and AK for sure. The kids aren't too fired up about MGM or Epcot. We did watch the planning video recently from our first trip and there is so much we didn't see.

We can't really plan our arrival day, as we don't even know yet what time our flight leaves. That is the hardest part of all of this....I'm so darn eager, and I know we won't get our travel docs for at least another 3 weeks.

Oh well - I'll just keep counting down the days!

HINT:
HINT:
Next time you book a trip to Disney...look at renting points from a DVC member....
If you can book Sunday thru Thursday..check out Friday...( points is much higher on Friday and Saturday) I just rented to two couples....Beach club was $160.00 a night ( includes the room tax), and the other couple is over at Saratoga Springs for $140.00 a night... DVC has a point system for each hotel and rooms, days, etc...normally a DVC member charges $10 to $13.00 a point...NO TAX on the room at check out!!!
DVC rooms all have a kitchenette, deck, etc. w/ a frig, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, etc. etc....
Just wanted to let you know some other options when staying on property at Disney....you still get the Disney transportation, busses, etc...all of the perks that you would normally get...in park early, etc.
THAT IS WHY.........I'm going to miss not staying at BEACH CLUB, but my boys want to do Universal this year!!!!

Thanks for that info! I am printing that reply out so I don't forget. I have a file to keep information like that!

You'll have fun at Universal! Does your whole family like rides? I LOVE roller coasters. My DD12 is ok with them, as is my DS10, but my husband....no way - they scare the begeebers out of him! :scared: hee hee!

Karin

Okay - we've had an amazingly mild winter so far up here in Minnesota, but today we woke up to -10 :eek: ...not including windchill!! Thank God the sun is shining :worship:.

Is it March 26th yet? Is it time to leave for Florida?

Karin

Wow...it's cold out....

Karin...I'm w/ you!!! I can't wait to leave for Florida.....Is it march 24th yet?? :crazy2:

You know it's cold out when you actually feel like you're warming up when you're in the hockey arena!!! :rotfl:

Karin - is your daughter in the volleyball tourney this weekend? Abbey's up in Andover, I'm hoping they place high enough today that they end up in Mahtomedi tomorrow.....much closer to home.

beckygeez- Keri was in the Tournament this weekend and we were in Andover too! Gosh, I wish we would have known this earlier...we could've possibly hooked up! Saturday we were at Oakdale Middle School, and Sunday at Andover H.S.

What a weekend! We were so proud of our girls! I'm still not sure how they came out in the long run, but on Saturday we swept all 3 games and the did pretty good on Sunday. Much tougher teams.

What is the team your daughter is on? Did you make it to Mahtomedi? That would have been a dream for us - 10 min from home!

I can't believe we were actually in the same school on Sat. and didn't know it. We may have walked right by each other!! :wave:
They did end up placing 2nd on Sat. so they got to go to Mahtomedi on Sun. Like you said, 10 minutes from home was much better! We were there from 7:30am til 6:00pm so my butt is killing me today from sitting on bleachers all day! They play for the Maplewood Jr 16's. Does your daughter play on weekends in Burnsville or Maple Grove? We play this next Sunday at 8 am in Burnsville. It would be fun to hook up if we end up at the same place again.

What a small world! How did the do in Mahtomedi?

I sure can relate to bleacher butt! Saturday only went until 2:00, but Sunday we were there from 7:30am to 5:00pm. Keri is on St. Croix Valley Jrs. 12's. We were not put into a "club" league (like Northern Lights) because our main coach is in college and did not want a lot of sat/sun tourneys. We play all over the place, but not Burnsville or Maple Grove. We do have a tournament this Sunday in Rogers, MN - that is because we were supposed to be in a MSF tournament, but the whole thing got cancelled so this is a make up. We kind of complained as parents because we were originally told we'd be in the Northern Lights league, and playing a lot more than we are, and for the price we had expectations. Now some of the tourneys scheduled are being cancelled and we want our moneys worth, therefore we push for rescheduling somewhere else...does that make any sense??? :confused3

We'll be down in Rochester on 3/11 and at the Ralia Sports Center on Sunday 3/19 - I think this one is in Maple Grove?? Do either of these coincide with your daughter?

I'm going to see when we get on board the ship if they would bump her up to the Teen clubs. She's not too annoying, and is really pretty mature for her age. I think she'd do fine in them, and I know she'd love to go to the Aloft!!

Do you think they'd allow it? She thinks she'll be bored in the Oceaneer's club, and I have to agree with her...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter