March 12, 2011 Eastern Caribbean, Let's rock the Magic!

We're getting ready to be hit with some cold weather...and before all you Canadian folks laugh....just remember, we're so not used to this! Ha! Meetings are getting cancelled for tomorrow night at the "thought" of precipitation and temps in the teens! Texans are better off not trying to drive in it!

I fear Jerry Jones might not be too thrilled that his beloved SuperBowl week is hampered by bad weather! No fear, we should thaw out before the big game!

I'll just keep dreaming about the cruise! Ha!

Stay warm! (wish I was in Phoenix...especially with the PGA tour coming through this week!)

Ashley

We're getting ready to be hit with some cold weather...and before all you Canadian folks laugh....just remember, we're so not used to this! Ha! Meetings are getting cancelled for tomorrow night at the "thought" of precipitation and temps in the teens! Texans are better off not trying to drive in it!

I fear Jerry Jones might not be too thrilled that his beloved SuperBowl week is hampered by bad weather! No fear, we should thaw out before the big game!

Stay warm! (wish I was in Phoenix...especially with the PGA tour coming through this week!)

Ashley

Just topped off the tank in my 4x4 truck,stopped at grocery store and stocked up on food and beer...we are ready:cool1::cool1:bring it on:thumbsup2

Rob

Just topped off the tank in my 4x4 truck,stopped at grocery store and stocked up on food and beer...we are ready:cool1::cool1:bring it on:thumbsup2

Rob

Once the storm is done with you, it's heading our way!

Mind you, depending on which forecast you listen to, we're going to get a couple of inches or a couple of feet of snow. Someone's going to be really wrong...hope it's the latter!

Stay warm! March 12 can't come soon enough for me!

Michelle

Ashley

It's not the cold that makes it hard for us Texans, it will be the icing of all the roads...snow is driveable, but the ice is no bueno!:sad2:

But you are right, Ashley, we will sunning in the 60s by game time! :rotfl:

And thank you Candizfan for the tip about the St. Martin excursion...I've been looking online, but without knowing how reputable a place is, I just couldn't make a decision...

Has anyone found a tour that does Coral World, an island tour, and some beach time? The only one I've found takes too long and we wouldn't get back to the ship until too late...

Thanks! And Spring Break is only 40 days away! :cool1:

I would love to do the tour yet 6 hours is a really long time. Would love to go on a boat ride and snorkel ... want to do some shopping also. How many hours are we on the island??

They pick you up a half hour after you dock. They monitor the ships so if you arrive late, they still pick you up for your tour. I figured we would go see the planes after if we feel like it.

This package also includes two cocktails for each person. I imagine the kids can have soda (pop).

We did the three island snorkel excursion with this company the last time we were in St Marrten. It was more than the Disney excursion and less money. Plus it was a smaller group which I always like. That way they can adjust the trip based on what the small group might like to do.

OK, I think I booked this, I submitted the info but didn't get a confirmation code or was asked for payment. Is that normal? Will I get a follow up email?
I actually booked for the 4 of us but DH & DS10 backed out, so it's just me and DD14.
It would be really great if we were on the same tour and could get the girls together! Could we contact them to arrange that?

PM me if you wish. Thanks so much for the info. It sounds really fun!

Marcy

It's not the cold that makes it hard for us Texans, it will be the icing of all the roads...snow is driveable, but the ice is no bueno!:sad2:

And thank you Candizfan for the tip about the St. Martin excursion...I've been looking online, but without knowing how reputable a place is, I just couldn't make a decision...

Has anyone found a tour that does Coral World, an island tour, and some beach time? The only one I've found takes too long and we wouldn't get back to the ship until too late...

What I would do is grab a cab at the pier and go to coral world and pay the normal fee to get in and then walk right down the beach and you are on coki beach grab a chair get some food and drink. When you are ready to leave you can grab another cab back to the ship or just tell the driver that you will give him $20 for a quick tour of the city.

Rob

OK, I think I booked this, I submitted the info but didn't get a confirmation code or was asked for payment. Is that normal? Will I get a follow up email?
I actually booked for the 4 of us but DH & DS10 backed out, so it's just me and DD14.
It would be really great if we were on the same tour and could get the girls together! Could we contact them to arrange that?

PM me if you wish. Thanks so much for the info. It sounds really fun!

Marcy

Hi Marcy

They send you an email with a link to fill out for your deposit. You have to pay a 30% deposit and the balance at the time of pick up. All of the terms will be listed for you. If we meet to get in the van together, they will take us as a group I am sure. I have emailed them before and they are good about getting back to you.

I found out the beach stop is at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort. It looks beautiful if you google it.

:goodvibes

Try this one. They can adjust the time by a bit to make sure you get back to the ship. A lot of drivers will work together to make sure you get back to the ship. This tour does not give an exact time but you could email and ask them.

http://stthomascruiseexcursions.com/CoralWorldIslandTour.htm

Same company I recommended earlier but a different tour. We did the Megan's Bay trip the last time.

Each van is operated by a different person (owners) but I found our driver nice and she allowed us to come back to the van early since it was only the four of us for the last stop.

Am I the lone person here from Florida? :rolleyes1

I'm feeling bad for everyone's cold weather but I bet it will make you appreciate the cruise that much more. Y'all will be warm very soon! :cool2:

Hi Marcy

They send you an email with a link to fill out for your deposit. You have to pay a 30% deposit and the balance at the time of pick up. All of the terms will be listed for you. If we meet to get in the van together, they will take us as a group I am sure. I have emailed them before and they are good about getting back to you.

I found out the beach stop is at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort. It looks beautiful if you google it.

:goodvibes

Yep! Got this confirmation page today and have our deposit paid. :yay:
I am really looking forward to this, we have not had good luck trying to see a port "on our own." But my DH still wants to. He and DS10 can do whatever and leave the shopping, sightseeing, and sunning to DD14 and me!:cloud9:

We'll make sure to stand together and get in the same van that morning. :)

Sunny here today:sunny:, but our high will be about 28 degrees and the low... something like 10. Eeech.... At least no snow. :thumbsup2

Marcy

Sunny here today:sunny:, but our high will be about 28 degrees and the low... something like 10. Eeech.... At least no snow. :thumbsup2

Marcy

Yikes! Here in Texas, our high WAS 23, and it's been dropping from there (with wind gusts at 30mph)! This winter ice storm is FREEEEEZING! HA!

But I'm thinking warm thoughts: NEXT MONTH is the cruise!!!! We can say it now!!!:banana:

Try this one. They can adjust the time by a bit to make sure you get back to the ship. A lot of drivers will work together to make sure you get back to the ship. This tour does not give an exact time but you could email and ask them.

http://stthomascruiseexcursions.com/CoralWorldIslandTour.htm

Same company I recommended earlier but a different tour. We did the Megan's Bay trip the last time.

Each van is operated by a different person (owners) but I found our driver nice and she allowed us to come back to the van early since it was only the four of us for the last stop.

I had looked at this tour, and it is EXACTLY what I am wanting to do, but it says it will take us back to the port at 4pm. I will contact them and see if that is a flexible time (surely we aren't the only cruise ship that has early departures...)
I am glad you recommend them!

I think I'm gonna go start packing!!! :yay:

I am really looking forward to this, we have not had good luck trying to see a port "on our own." But my DH still wants to. He and DS10 can do whatever and leave the shopping, sightseeing, and sunning to DD14 and me!:cloud9:

Marcy

Sounds like fun. I am planning on being at the meet the day we sail and we can make plans then.

In my photo (signature) I am the one with the crazy hair! :rotfl:

Marcy

Hey Marcy - I'm just curious about your comment of not having any good luck trying to see a port on your own. What specific problems did you have or is there any advice you can offer? I am planning on doing St. Martin on our own, but my DH is nervous about it. Anything you could share would be helpful - thanks!

Hi Cheryl

I know you asked Marcy but if you don't mind, I have some advise.

I consider anything I don't book on the ship as "exploring on my own", so I count the tour I booked in St Maarten. :)

The key is to do some research on the internet before you arrive at the port. Have an idea what areas you want to visit or activities you want to do.

In the 1990s when we first started cruising, there was no internet so you had to either wander around or book an excursion with the ship. Now you can use the internet to find all kinds of information about activities, taxi rates etc.

We did some ports in Europe on our own. I had train times and rates and prepaid some museum entrance fees to avoid some lines. In one port, we simply walked around the little town and shopped but that was the plan. :woohoo:

The disadvantage to looking around without a guide is you don't know what you are seeing. I always prefer groups that are smaller. I hate it when the bus has to wait for that one family that is always late getting back to the bus. You end up being rushed since they have to make up the time. This does not happen as often with smaller groups.

I hope this helped.

Hi Cheryl

I know you asked Marcy but if you don't mind, I have some advise.

I consider anything I don't book on the ship as "exploring on my own", so I count the tour I booked in St Maarten. :)

The key is to do some research on the internet before you arrive at the port. Have an idea what areas you want to visit or activities you want to do.

In the 1990s when we first started cruising, there was no internet so you had to either wander around or book an excursion with the ship. Now you can use the internet to find all kinds of information about activities, taxi rates etc.

We did some ports in Europe on our own. I had train times and rates and prepaid some museum entrance fees to avoid some lines. In one port, we simply walked around the little town and shopped but that was the plan. :woohoo:

The disadvantage to looking around without a guide is you don't know what you are seeing. I always prefer groups that are smaller. I hate it when the bus has to wait for that one family that is always late getting back to the bus. You end up being rushed since they have to make up the time. This does not happen as often with smaller groups.

I hope this helped.

Thanks! This is our first cruise and first trip to anyplace outside of US. I'm the planner and I've been reading tons on the internet plus got a tourist book. I feel that as long as I don't try to plan too much into one day, we will be fine. And if we miss seeing something or run short on time, well that's just a reason to take another cruise, right? I've always done well on vacations to new places by following maps, guidebooks, and what I get from internet, and I don't think this will be much different. I hope I'm not oversimplyfing it. I think DH is just a worrier and is afraid I'm going to make him miss the boat!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter