Marathon Weekend 2025

You might want to look into UnTapped. Their "gels" are just shots of real maple syrup in individual long packets, and so so good. Those come in different flavors and a caffeinated option. They also make a hydration drink mix and waffles. I discovered them last year when I moved to Vermont as they are based in a town about 5 minutes from where I live and all the local outdoor/running/grocery stores carry them.
love untapped! Wish I could get them here in the grocery stores - so awesome! My running store just started caring the maple flavor one so that’s a small win!

SAFD: I'm SLOWLY healing from 2 herniated discs. I've never been injured and I'm super frustrated but getting closer. Lots of PT and rest.

In fact, we just got back from 10 days in Europe where I walked 18,000 steps a day with NO back pain! Hallelujah. Hoping that's a sign that I can take my first running step on June 1st (that's my personal deadline). As much as a I want to have a summer running plan in place, I think I will have to take it one week at a time.

Funny how a quick trip to WDW can kill your training and diet. :) Just got back from a work conference at WDW, where we went a few days early to hit the parks. Four days of park storming and now need to dial running back in. Got a couple of new pairs of running shoes to try out. So time to get serious now. Getting excited for January!

Funny how a quick trip to WDW can kill your training and diet. :) Just got back from a work conference at WDW, where we went a few days early to hit the parks. Four days of park storming and now need to dial running back in. Got a couple of new pairs of running shoes to try out. So time to get serious now. Getting excited for January!
I'll be in the same boat when Fairytale Challenge training starts. I'm going to DL with family to celebrate my cousin's son turning 5 in October. Training starts the very next week.

Can you handle something the texture of applesauce? Someone else mentioned Huma which I enjoy, but my all time favorite is Spring Energy awesomesauce. Taste/texture like cinnamon applesauce with some dates blended in, and the real advantage to me is they're higher calorie (180) but don't seem to be any higher volume. Downside is soooo expensive so I really just use for races and maybe bring 1 on longer runs as a "treat" lol. Lots of fuel makes me nauseous after 15+ miles but I am good with more natural stuff like applesauce pouches. But I can't carry that many applesauce pouches (and I prefer not to wear a vest anymore) so the awesome sauce was the perfect find for me. I can't do Maurten personally, even though there is no flavor it is way too sweet for me, like white sugar sweet.
I'll be looking into this. One of the best handed-out fuels I've enjoyed was a packet of applesauce.

As for Untapped, that is (I think) the coffee+syrup packet that I was handed near the end of the MCM. That was yummy!
I need to get me some more o' that.

Last edited:
You might want to look into UnTapped. Their "gels" are just shots of real maple syrup in individual long packets, and so so good. Those come in different flavors and a caffeinated option.

A similar product to UnTapped is Endurance Tap. It is maple syrup, salt, ginger and, if you want it, caffeine from green bean coffee. The packets are bigger, but they contain two servings and have a twist on top. They go down very smooth and are quite a treat for me. I like the taste so much that I recently bought some plain maple syrup candy to supplement what I'm currently using and to use on shorter runs.

Last edited:
SAFD, many days late…

What are your summer running plans?
Try not to get heat stroke!
Do you take a break from running and rest up for the start of training for MW?
Nope. I run because I love it and it’s good for me - I don’t want a break form that!
Focus on cross-training?
No more than my usual.
Power through the summer conditions to be ready for fall races?
Oh yes, 9 long months of powering through Florida Summer lol!

Forgive the snark, pleaseandthankyou: I’ve been running in near-100º heat all week and I’m punchy at this point! It’s that weird in-between period when we’ve got all the heat of summer, but none of the daily evening thunderstorms, so I’m making the most of running at my preferred time of day - after work, before dinner - while I still can. I HATE equally running before work and the treadmill, and I’ll be forced to one or the other soon.

SAFD, many days late…

Try not to get heat stroke!

Nope. I run because I love it and it’s good for me - I don’t want a break form that!

No more than my usual.

Oh yes, 9 long months of powering through Florida Summer lol!

Forgive the snark, pleaseandthankyou: I’ve been running in near-100º heat all week and I’m punchy at this point! It’s that weird in-between period when we’ve got all the heat of summer, but none of the daily evening thunderstorms, so I’m making the most of running at my preferred time of day - after work, before dinner - while I still can. I HATE equally running before work and the treadmill, and I’ll be forced to one or the other soon.
You're preaching to the choir. I can't remember when the daily afternoon storms began last summer, but I've only had one thus far and it cleared out by the time that I wanted to run anyway after work.

You're preaching to the choir. I can't remember when the daily afternoon storms began last summer, but I've only had one thus far and it cleared out by the time that I wanted to run anyway after work.
I’m on the Tampa Bay coast and ours don’t usually start kicking up until mid- to late-June. In my house, we call this 2nd Summer.

(1st Summer is April into May, when conditions are similar to actual summers further north. We’re finally warm after a series of winter cold fronts!
2nd Summer is late May through early July - heat is high, rain is low, we start getting cranky, but forget that still to come is…
3rd Summer: what we think is the worst of it but we’re wrong - it never cools down. the heat and humidity just envelope us like a bubble stretching from Gulf to Bay. July through early September. Probably later, but we need to say September to keep going.
4th Summer: late September through whenever we get the frst cold front - could be Sept, could be flipping January - conditions are actually improved, but we’re so beaten down by 3rd Summer, we can’t tell. We begin to say such travesties as, “Maybe 6 months of snow isn’t so bad???” :rotfl2:)

What are your summer running plans? Do you take a break from running and rest up for the start of training for MW? Focus on cross-training? Power through the summer conditions to be ready for fall races?
I am still training during the summer because I have a 5K on my birthday in early July that I’m trying to PR and will also be starting training for the Disneyland Halloween Challenge in September. But I’m aware that doing a challenge at what should be the start of my Dopey training cycle puts me at risk for burn out so I am intentionally only running 3 days a week right now. I am spending the other days with XT that brings me joy: biking, swimming, hiking, yoga, dance. Soon I will up it to 4 days a week and then once Dopey season starts I’ll be running 5 days a week.

I also started strength training and am doing that 4 days a week. I hate strength training but know it is good for me.

I am indeed powering through summer conditions. I ran a speed workout in a temp + dew of 167 the other day. Yikes!

Good morning RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone, with a special thank you to all who have served. With the unofficial start of summer upon us, what's your favorite season or seasons to visit Disney?

SAFD: My favorite season to visit Disney is the fall. I absolutely love seeing the Magic Kingdom decked out in its fall colors with pumpkins and Jack-o-lanterns everywhere. A fall trip also wouldn't be complete without attending Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party to see the Boo To You parade with all its rare characters and classic characters decked out in their Halloween costumes.

Runner up in the seasonal contest is springtime for me, usually early May after the spring break crowds have died down. The Epcot Flower & Garden Show has always been my favorite festival with its topiaries. The Garden Rocks concert series is a big draw, too, as I've seen some classic rock favorites in it like The Orchestra (ELO), Little River Band and the Guess Who.

SAFD: I also love visting Disney World in the late fall. We've made it a family tradition to go to Mickey's Not So Scary with a family costume. Those memories coupled with the decorations, the start to temps slightly lower than surface of the sun hot, and smaller crowds make it my favorite.

SAFD: The end or October is my favorite time to visit WDW. I love all things fall! We don’t have kids so we were never really into Halloween but October at Disney has changed that! MNSSHP has become a must do for us. Pair that with Food & Wine and I am in love!

Runner up would be January. Love Festival of the Arts along with MW and my birthday, there is much fun to be had while escaping northern winter.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter