Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: I injured my left IT band during the full while doing Goofy last month, so I have basically done no running since then. I've been doing some 2 and 3-mile walks and I did a few .25 mile stretches of jogging on my walk on Saturday with no pain, so hopefully I'm on the mend. I am also heading into my competitive softball season with my team here which starts on March 5th, so my focus through at least May will be softball with occasional running to maintain fitness. I may do some shorter local races to keep my running mindset up before starting hardcore training this fall for Dopey (fingers crossed I survive registration), but right now I have just been focused on resting and losing weight. I started a keto diet this week to help kickstart some much needed weight loss, so here's hoping.

For the ones that are frequent rundisney participants… is there something special/unique on the WdW marathon weekend that can’t be seen in the other dates later in the year?
I've only been once, but the first things I think of are that the holiday decorations will probably still be up, and the full marathon route goes through all 4 parks. 😁

For the ones that are frequent rundisney participants… is there something special/unique on the WdW marathon weekend that can’t be seen in the other dates later in the year?
Other than the marathon and the Goofy and Dopey challenges?

In my experience and opinion, the biggest difference between Marathon Weekend and the other race weekends is the interaction between theme and running. Marathon Weekend, to me, feels like a running festival with a fun Disney theme overlaid on top of it. The running is the star of the show. The other race weekends I've done have felt like themed parties with running as part of them. The theme is the star of the party. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, more that it's a matter of what you want out of your race weekend.

Other than the marathon and the Goofy and Dopey challenges?

In my experience and opinion, the biggest difference between Marathon Weekend and the other race weekends is the interaction between theme and running. Marathon Weekend, to me, feels like a running festival with a fun Disney theme overlaid on top of it. The running is the star of the show. The other race weekends I've done have felt like themed parties with running as part of them. The theme is the star of the party. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, more that it's a matter of what you want out of your race weekend.
I think that is a great way to put it.

Marathon Weekend is always tons of fun, but definitely seems more 'serious' than the other weekends. As others have said it's the only one has a marathon. Also, it and Princess are the only two that have races that run through the castle. (That can always change, but traditionally just the two.)

Of the race weekends they offer right now, I've done all but Princess. I say you can't go wrong with any of them if you want to have a good time and run at Disney.

I’m in agreement with @camaker and @Desdemona924. A big part of what makes Marathon Weekend (MW) feel special and apart to me is the sheer volume of race activity: 4 races, 2 challenges, just a lot more runners everywhere, which is reflected in resorts getting in on the race excitement, restaurants having special signs welcoming runners, seeing people wear their medals and race shirts at the parks and all around for days. It’s the only race weekend where it feels like EVERYONE knows races are being run. Princess Half weekend is a close second in that regard, but… well, it’s too princessy for my taste, lol!

In comparison, W&D and Springtime Surprise (formerly Star Wars Dark Side, formerly Expedition Everest Challenge) weekends feel more intimate - like only a handful of the tens of thousands of WDW staff and visitors know the races are going on. I don’t think the huge amount of fanfare during MW is better or worse than the more chill other weekends - it’s just different.

SAFD: Finished my third Dopey on month ago today! This has been the worst recovery for me (this was my 9th marathon). I think, in part, I did this one with the family and so had a lot of park time (I essentially walked an additional Dopey over the four days). My achilles was really bothering me for almost two weeks (for anyone with this issue I bought a great brace that you can put an ice pack in that has been awesome). I started to get some miles in the last two weeks but being in the northeast with the really low temps means they have been on the treadmill which means I do less miles. Temps are on there way up.

Big question for me now is whether I run the Vermont City marathon in May. I have family and friends interested in doing it as a relay so I would have someone to run with which would be cool. Otherwise my next confirmed marathon in Berlin in September. Also need to decide if I got for my sixth MW. I'm still bitter about registration last year but my oldest son is interested in doing the 5k, 10k, and half with me so maybe the two of us will go.

Question for everyone, my son will turn 17 just before MW 2023. I assume Disney is strict about 18 to run the marathon? Chicago had 18 too for the marathon but then I say an announcement that the youngest finisher was 16. Not sure how that happens.

Question for everyone, my son will turn 17 just before MW 2023. I assume Disney is strict about 18 to run the marathon? Chicago had 18 too for the marathon but then I say an announcement that the youngest finisher was 16. Not sure how that happens.
18 is a safety thing. If something were to happen its all about liability.

Disney does check IDs upon bib pick up so they could theoretically check to see the matching there. However, most times the CM is just checking the name matching.

I waited until 18 to run which then in turn was my first marathon. Most marathons have the 18 restriction.

SAFD: Finished my third Dopey on month ago today! This has been the worst recovery for me (this was my 9th marathon). I think, in part, I did this one with the family and so had a lot of park time (I essentially walked an additional Dopey over the four days). My achilles was really bothering me for almost two weeks (for anyone with this issue I bought a great brace that you can put an ice pack in that has been awesome). I started to get some miles in the last two weeks but being in the northeast with the really low temps means they have been on the treadmill which means I do less miles. Temps are on there way up.

Big question for me now is whether I run the Vermont City marathon in May. I have family and friends interested in doing it as a relay so I would have someone to run with which would be cool. Otherwise my next confirmed marathon in Berlin in September. Also need to decide if I got for my sixth MW. I'm still bitter about registration last year but my oldest son is interested in doing the 5k, 10k, and half with me so maybe the two of us will go.

Was curious about the Chicago thing and looked it up, sounds like the age minimum is 16 (with parental permission).

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/spo...ens-tuesday-heres-how-to-enter/2970095/?amp=1

What are some of your favorite resorts to book for MW? I stayed at Beach Club last year and loved it, but am considering a new spot. To date, I've stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club, and Beach Club, and it's reaaaallllyyy hard for me to part with the location. My travel agent presented packages for Yacht Club, Beach Club, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge that are all decently similar in price. I am leaning towards booking Yacht Club again for the location and potentially trying a MK-area resort for W&D in November on a shorter trip. Thoughts?

What are some of your favorite resorts to book for MW? I stayed at Beach Club last year and loved it, but am considering a new spot. To date, I've stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club, and Beach Club, and it's reaaaallllyyy hard for me to part with the location. My travel agent presented packages for Yacht Club, Beach Club, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge that are all decently similar in price. I am leaning towards booking Yacht Club again for the location and potentially trying a MK-area resort for W&D in November on a shorter trip. Thoughts?
I do love the Crescent Lake area for race weekends. I finally stayed at AKL for Marathon Weekend this year and I loved it. Its not close to much but its quiet and relaxing and has plenty onsite.

I'm in the Crescent Lake camp for race weekends as well. Have stayed at Beach Club, Boardwalk , Swan and Dolphin. We stayed at the Swan this year because I couldn't justify the cost difference (and the Marriott points are a bonus) but BW is by far my favourite.

I'm not sure where I'll stay next year for MW if I go but if we're at W&D it will 100% be a Crescent lake resort given the proximity to World Showcase.

I usually stay at Swan/Dolphin. It’s a long story and a calamity of events, but I ended up staying in the Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs for MW. I LOVED IT! I enjoyed it more than BC, YC, BW, Swan and Dolphin. Toledo, Three Bridges and Dahlia Lounge have better food and drinks than BC, YC & BW and it was a welcome change from Swan/Dolphin. CSR is only 1 mile from Swan/Dolphin so it’s a super quick uber to the Crescent Lake resorts to access the International Gateway. I would definitely stay there again (only in the tower) if the price was right. It was cheaper to stay at Dolphin for Princess Weekend even though they have the resort fee and still charge for parking.

Well if you go with Contemporary you get the benefit of the monorail, so there's that. I stayed at Wilderness this year thought it was great. The resort is so peaceful and relaxing and the two hot tubs are giant.

I've done POR, AKL, Poly, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian for marathon weekends.

I've loved all of them. Probably in order for races specifically: Poly, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, AKL, POR.

I love the monorail access - lets me sleep a bit later, and I sometimes get slightly motion sick on buses, but the monorail doesn't do that to me. Poly was the best - just walked right over to the TTC so no monorail switching necessary. AKL was great - the bus was right outside and hopped right on. POR had too many bus stops for me and full buses kept passing our stop by.

I'm thinking my next race weekend hotel will be Beach Club - my kids would love the pools and being able to stand outside and see me run by when I'm near the marathon finish.

I have never stayed at any of the Crescent Lake Resorts; would love to at some point! I have stayed at WL and AKL, loved both! But my favorite is WL, I just love the atmosphere, peacefulness and that I literally forget I am at Disney World. It is only close to MK (for which you can take a boat), everything else is drive or bus. If that is not an issue it is just a wonderful resort - good food, views, fantastic theme, and piece and quiet.

The idea of trying a new resort during a shorter trip sounds good. If you love it you can always go back, but if you don’t, at least it is a short trip!

While we've stayed at All Star and CBR and a few other resorts, we seem to end up at Poly or BC/YC. Poly is great for the monorail on race morning and to some of our favorite restaurants and bars, for getting to Epcot during our stay. BC/YC are great because they have easy access to the two parks we visit most often.

We stayed at OKW in '22 (plus sunday night in Boulder Ridge with a 3am leave-for-MCO) and really liked how quiet and relaxed it was. I wish there were more QS options there though. I'm not interested in staying at BRV again. This year we did a (stupidly) massive split stay. 1 night a GF (in the new DVC resort studios in Big Pine Key), 2 nights at Poly, and 4 nights at Saratoga.

The complaints about ambient noise from the hallway and surrounding rooms in those new GF rooms are founded. And it's a longish walk from the parking lot to the rooms.

We were pretty close to the TTC in the Poly, but if you're not doing a bunch of park/MK days, I don't see the benefit. Can be a longish walk from the parking lot to your room.

I think our favorite spot for a race weekend (with very little emphasis on park time) is Saratoga. We stayed in a preferred room (nearest the DS entrance) and having all of the food options right there was fantastic. And next year, if we decide to resort-hop to look at Christmas decorations, go to lounges, etc. we can just use the busses at DS. It was quiet (minus a very loud delivery person next door at 11pm Thursday), the parking spaces are CLOSE to the rooms/buildings, their QS had a pretty decent selection. The downside is that it's very spread out. I made DH drive our car up to the race-bus stop after the marathon because there was no way I was walking another mile-ish back to our room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter