Marathon Weekend 2024

Ok, I need someone to talk some sense in to me. This one time c2c medal is really making me consider some really bad ideas. For example, can I run the DW MW half one weekend, followed by the DL half 8 days later and then somehow get to a conference that starts the same day (Sunday night) somewhere in the US (I won’t know the exact location until after both registration dates).

that’s a bad idea right?

Ok, I need someone to talk some sense in to me. This one time c2c medal is really making me consider some really bad ideas.
I cannot help with any sense-talking, I think the plan is solid. But I keep confusing myself over the medals and maybe someone can clear it up? The track 1 C2C medal is special for 2024, so special they put it in bold. The track 2 medal is different, but why not *also* special for 2024? You have to run it in that year, and I don’t see them repeating medal styles in the next year so it won’t be released again. Why the emphasis on the first one?

I cannot help with any sense-talking, I think the plan is solid. But I keep confusing myself over the medals and maybe someone can clear it up? The track 1 C2C medal is special for 2024, so special they put it in bold. The track 2 medal is different, but why not *also* special for 2024? You have to run it in that year, and I don’t see them repeating medal styles in the next year so it won’t be released again. Why the emphasis on the first one?
I'm wondering if they're doing something special as the first one back. That's the only reason I could see for it

Meanwhile, I've told myself that I'm a grown-up and sometimes grown-ups regret things. And my regret will be skipping this 'soecial' C2C and doing DL and Springtime. My husband and I had already decided to skip MW next year to maybe come a week or so later for Festival of the Arts. Then DL was announced and we decided to do that instead. Special C2C medal makes me want to do it, but that's just not practical for is. So I hope that medal sucks so I don't have the regret.

They want to get at people’s FOMO and push more people to book trips that span two Disney resorts in a short timeframe. That’s it. I’m sure it’s going to be a very nice medal and I’m jealous of people who are able to do this (the FOMO is sort of working!) but at the core RD is selling trips in addition to the races.

But yes it’ll be special bc it’s the first one since 2017 and special bc it’s back-to-back weekends.

My guess - the first one may tie into the 100 year celebration. I don’t know how long it is going on, but if it is only a year then MW and DL would fall in that time period but the other races wouldn’t.

Previously, the C2C medal did not change much from year to year. It was basically the same every year with maybe some minor changes. Who knows if that would still be the case??

My guess - the first one may tie into the 100 year celebration. I don’t know how long it is going on, but if it is only a year then MW and DL would fall in that time period but the other races wouldn’t.

Previously, the C2C medal did not change much from year to year. It was basically the same every year with maybe some minor changes. Who knows if that would still be the case??
This is a better guess than mine, didn't realize that those are the only race weekends that fall within that time period if the celebration lasts a year.

But also... FOMO.

Ok, I need someone to talk some sense in to me. This one time c2c medal is really making me consider some really bad ideas. For example, can I run the DW MW half one weekend, followed by the DL half 8 days later and then somehow get to a conference that starts the same day (Sunday night) somewhere in the US (I won’t know the exact location until after both registration dates).

that’s a bad idea right?

As someone who took an insane trip to visit every Disney park in the world in 16 days in 2019, I can tell you that it CAN be done. We flew into LAX from Hong Kong and did less than 24 hours at the DLR parks before moving on to Orlando. There are four airports you can realistically fly from (LAX, Orange County, Long Beach, Burbank), so there's a good chance you could find a routing that would get you where you need to go.

I say go for it!

As someone who took an insane trip to visit every Disney park in the world in 16 days in 2019, I can tell you that it CAN be done. We flew into LAX from Hong Kong and did less than 24 hours at the DLR parks before moving on to Orlando. There are four airports you can realistically fly from (LAX, Orange County, Long Beach, Burbank), so there's a good chance you could find a routing that would get you where you need to go.

I say go for it!
Now THATs impressive. Maybe rd needs to come up with an Around the World Challenge!

my plan doesn’t seem so crazy now…

Seeing some of the Disney 100 celebration stuff coming out, and I'm calling it: Steamboat Willie on the Marathon Medal.
I can see them applying the 100th color scheme to the medal set like they did for the WDW 50th, but I don't see them replacing Mickey and Minnie as hosts. If they wanted to work Steamboat Willie onto a medal they might put him on the 10k, though. Since Minnie's promotion to marathon co-host the 10k character has varied. I would love to see them go the color scheme route on the medals, though. I love the silver and purple aesthetic of the 100th.

I can see them applying the 100th color scheme to the medal set like they did for the WDW 50th, but I don't see them replacing Mickey and Minnie as hosts. If they wanted to work Steamboat Willie onto a medal they might put him on the 10k, though. Since Minnie's promotion to marathon co-host the 10k character has varied. I would love to see them go the color scheme route on the medals, though. I love the silver and purple aesthetic of the 100th.
But Steamboat Willie *is* Mickey? I was thinking a spinner like "Classic Mickey" on one side and a black and white "Steamboat Willie" Mickey on the other. Minnie is in that movie too so they could include both of them. Anyway that's my prediction.

But Steamboat Willie *is* Mickey? I was thinking a spinner like "Classic Mickey" on one side and a black and white "Steamboat Willie" Mickey on the other. Minnie is in that movie too so they could include both of them. Anyway that's my prediction.
Sorry, you're right, it is Mickey. I'm sitting here in a COVID fog and I'm not sure what I was thinking! It obviously wasn't "accurate Disney history", though. I still think using the color scheme across all the medals is more likely, but Steamboat Willie Mickey wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Trying to convince DH for the Dopey/Full DL race suite in January. He’s not too impressed given my previous assertion that maybe fourth Dopey in 2023 was going to be the last. We’ve never missed a race in any runDisney event attended, and hard to conceive of starting to do it now. Post-Dopey downers does weird things to what was once logical reasoning.

That track 1 C2C medal is feeling all too tempting. Darn you runDisney for your scheduling shenanigans!

Hoping to see some more details/theming this week for DL races (fingers crossed).

Seeing some of the Disney 100 celebration stuff coming out, and I'm calling it: Steamboat Willie on the Marathon Medal.
I wonder if the expiration of the trademark for Steamboat Willie next year would impact their decision? While lots of legal ground to be tread for anyone who tries to use Steamboat Willie after it expires next year (generally has to take it in a different direction to be allowed, like the Winnie the Pooh stuff coming out, but not settled how different), I do think there will be lots of people that try and put stuff out and not sure Disney will want to be part of that.

Post-Dopey downers does weird things to what was once logical reasoning.
Is that what this is called? I was a “one and done” and “never again”… but here I am thinking about all of the really cool parts that I enjoyed about Dopey.

I’m just not sure I can overcome the biggest con which is the lack of sleep and consecutive early morning wake ups.

I was a “one and done” and “never again”… but here I am thinking about all of the really cool parts that I enjoyed about Dopey.

I swore this up and down throughout the Dopey training. I swore it after the marathon was over. I swore it two days later to my running coach. On my flight home, my seat mates were also runners and they were raving about how much fun the Chicago marathon was. I still kept saying "no, no, no." Then while I was waiting to get my bags, I went online to see what the pacing requirements for Chicago were.

I have given everyone permission to say "I told you so."

Right now, I'm still saying "no" to another marathon this year as I have other goals for this year. I want to focus on getting faster and stronger, and losing some weight - all of which are hard to balance with marathon training. But I'm tentatively eyeing a Dopey and Disneyland double shot in January 2025. Eleven medals in 11 days sounds like a good reason to train for another marathon.

I wonder if the expiration of the trademark for Steamboat Willie next year would impact their decision? While lots of legal ground to be tread for anyone who tries to use Steamboat Willie after it expires next year (generally has to take it in a different direction to be allowed, like the Winnie the Pooh stuff coming out, but not settled how different), I do think there will be lots of people that try and put stuff out and not sure Disney will want to be part of that.
I don't know, I don't see Disney stopping using Winnie the Pooh...

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for Sundays Are For Disney. For any new folks, this is a weekly question that is asked for all to respond to as we work our way towards the 2024 races. Today‘s question: When you attend a runDisney Weekend, if you have attended before, do you spend time in the parks or are you there strictly to run? How do you/would you manage priorities?

My answer: It depends a little on if it is a solo or family trip. Either way I will spend some time in the parks, just more if I am with family. They are very happy to cheer me on, but also want to enjoy their Disney vacation with time in the parks. So I strive to return from each race and get ready quickly so we can enjoy the morning and afternoon in the parks as a family. Solo I would just move a little slower and likely do less btwn the Half and the Full. But I would never be able to handle skipping the parks entirely. I try to be careful about time on my feet and I always end the day around dinner time. But before then I/we enjoy a few favorite rides and treats! I have found that the walking around after each race really helps me recover, well that and ample amounts of Dole Whip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter