Marathon Weekend 2022

My first runDisney event was going to be the January 2017 Half, which got cancelled due to lightning.

My actual first runDisney event was the Star Wars 5k in April 2019, which got substantially delayed by a thunderstorm. (I did manage to run the 10k the next day with no issues.)

I was registered for the Boston Marathon, my very first full, for April 2020. It was cancelled due to a global pandemic.

I seem to have an uncanny ability to cancel races. I'm registered for the full in January 2022, which will hopefully be my first full marathon (on a certified course . . . I did run virtual Boston in 2020). So, I apologize in advance to everybody running the January 2022 full, as my history might suggest that I've just put the whole thing in jeopardy.

Anyone else considering waiting for southwest to release fares for MW (which doesn’t happen until September 😬) ?

Dh is trying to figure out how to come with me so we can’t book anything until we figure out if we have someone to keep an eye on the 3 oldest kids or if I’m going solo....

Flights out of our local airport are creeping up from the $275pp range to the $333pp range and it’s making me antsy to book stuff.

Anyone else considering waiting for southwest to release fares for MW (which doesn’t happen until September 😬) ?

Dh is trying to figure out how to come with me so we can’t book anything until we figure out if we have someone to keep an eye on the 3 oldest kids or if I’m going solo....

Flights out of our local airport are creeping up from the $275pp range to the $333pp range and it’s making me antsy to book stuff.

I’m waiting for them to release, as my airport here is a hub and I can usually find convenient flights with them at reasonable prices. I am, however, getting very tired of them listing large numbers of flights as available and then moving me to different flights months later. It makes it impossible to plan for en effective Disney trip.

I’m waiting for them to release, as my airport here is a hub and I can usually find convenient flights with them at reasonable prices. I am, however, getting very tired of them listing large numbers of flights as available and then moving me to different flights months later. It makes it impossible to plan for en effective Disney trip.

We always wait for SW - nonstop flights, reasonable prices and I can use my companion pass. Entirely agree based on our travel to other locations recently - too many flight changes after booking, so I end up starting from scratch.

There was an article in the WSJ about this very thing yesterday. Delta and Southwest in particular are being accused of moving people with cheap tickets to less convenient flights in order to resell those seats at higher prices.

There was an article in the WSJ about this very thing yesterday. Delta and Southwest in particular are being accused of moving people with cheap tickets to less convenient flights in order to resell those seats at higher prices.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I don’t think that’s what’s been happening. The flights that I originally booked are being cancelled.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I don’t think that’s what’s been happening. The flights that I originally booked are being cancelled.
Yeah, flights by American and Southwest have been canceled across the country for a while now. United is starting to do it, too. They are saying that it is result of capacity issues. They and their service vendors laid off a bunch of people and getting them back right now is harder than they thought it would be. Also, they took a bunch of planes out of circulation. All of those planes have to undergo some sort of process before they can be used again.

Not enough staff (pilots, attendants, servicing vendors, etc.) seems to be the real problem. They scheduled flights without having these issues sorted out, and now they are selectively canceling fights - probably starting with the flights which are the least profitable.

Yeah, flights by American and Southwest have been canceled across the country for a while now. United is starting to do it, too. They are saying that it is result of capacity issues. They and their service vendors laid off a bunch of people and getting them back right now is harder than they thought it would be. Also, they took a bunch of planes out of circulation. All of those planes have to undergo some sort of process before they can be used again.

Not enough staff (pilots, attendants, servicing vendors, etc.) seems to be the real problem. They scheduled flights without having these issues sorted out, and now they are selectively canceling fights - probably starting with the flights which are the least profitable.
I booked flights in January for our trip in mid-July. (Sigh, I miss you already Wilderness Lodge...) Our original flights were both cancelled, and we ended up getting to MCO an hour later and coming home a half-hour earlier.

Not the end of the world -- there are lots of flights between DFW & MCO -- but still annoying for sure!

I just want to know where my change fee is. I mean, if I wanted to switch to a flight that left an hour later, they'd charge me $150 plus the difference in fares. How does that not go both ways?? 😂

They are out through Jan 5 so I already booked flight down. We never book round trip because it’s easier to modify one way with the app. Just need a flight home but hey, first world problems, right?

Just happened to me, we always book non stop and got an email this morning that my 7am 2hr40min flight for W&D is now a 6am 5hr flight with a stop in Baltimore>:(

Just happened to me, we always book non stop and got an email this morning that my 7am 2hr40min flight for W&D is now a 6am 5hr flight with a stop in Baltimore>:(

That’s basically what happened to me. My 1:40 non-stop trip became a 4:00 trip through Ft Lauderdale. Waiting for the other shoe to drop on my return flight…

Yeah, I would not accept a stop-over flight as a replacement for a non-stop flight. I would get a refund and book with another airline, even if it cost me more money.

I love Southwest but with a 4 year old we try to just fly direct and unless routes change SWA doesn't go direct to MCO for us. We have an eye on a United flight and will book next month.

RE: flights - last year American cancelled our connecting flights back from California and rebooked us on a flight that left 1 hour before we landed at our connection. This happened before we even left on the trip and I had to call and negotiate with them to get us on flights the next day. We would have had to spend the night in Dallas and come back to the airport the next day to get our connection home. Luckily (???) DH had a heart attack the week before our trip and we never got to go. Because of the stupid connections that they made for us, they gave me credit for the flights.

My main problem with SW is that we are NOT a hub and have a very limited number of flights to choose from. Going to WDW for a race weekend, I usually fly in a day before the expo day, on the first flight of the day, so that I literally have all day to get bumped around and still make it to the expo if SW gets me there at midnight instead of noon like scheduled!

There are also fuel shortages in some areas, so flights that would normally be non-stop are adding stops for refueling. That messes up the whole schedule big time!

Yeah, I would not accept a stop-over flight as a replacement for a non-stop flight. I would get a refund and book with another airline, even if it cost me more money.

Most likely what will happen, but going to wait until it’s closer now to make sure Disney doesn’t panic and start cancelling things again. The current flight is points on SW that can be easily cancelled but the other option is cash on JB and I’ve had enough credit from cancellations with them to drive me insane, so I’m going to have to wait and make sure it’s a go for the trip.

Have my flight down booked on Jan 5, but not scheduled to arrive until 3:30. Hope this isn't cutting it too close for the expo! Waiting for the next release for a flight back and to get flights for a trip in March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter