Marathon Weekend 2022

Speculation is that the kid events are TBD based on vaccinations being widely available to those age groups.

I've seen that speculation but these kids events go all the way down to diaper dashes and I'm not sure we are going to be getting a COVID vaccine into babies any time soon. Without getting into any not allowed conversations the lowest age I've seen mentioned is 4 and these events go below 4. My kid was 1 when he did his first one.

my DS and DD will be 12 and 10. We can leave them in the hotel while wife and I run, but how have others handled this in the past?

We took our kids when they were younger but both times took one of my sisters with us to chaperone. We paid for some of the trip for them and so they were with the kids while we ran. I know that may not be an option for you but it gave us a lot of peace of mind. I'm not sure I would have felt great leaving them alone in the hotel for that long... Although we are really slow runners.

Are you following a Galloway plan or a custom @DopeyBadger Plan?
i'm using the Galloway plan as a guideline....45 minutes for me is over 5 miles so I have been doing one or two extra miles on Saturday, but planning on 3 for this Saturday with a magic mile. I also don't plan on "walking 10 or 13 miles" on some of those weekends, will run walk and I don't see a need for me to do 26 or possibly even 23 for that matter. I've run a marathon before so I know I can finish. I do feel like if a person is well trained for just a marathon, they could complete Dopey, just need to dial down the effort a bit each day, especially the half.

I will say for anyone who may read this that is attempting Dopey and hasn't finished a marathon before, if you complete the Galloway plan, I don't see how you could possibly be swept. Also trust the math on the magic mile, surprisingly accurate on race days assuming weather cooperates.

We took our kids when they were younger but both times took one of my sisters with us to chaperone. We paid for some of the trip for them and so they were with the kids while we ran. I know that may not be an option for you but it gave us a lot of peace of mind. I'm not sure I would have felt great leaving them alone in the hotel for that long... Although we are really slow runners.

We brought my mom in 2018 and just paid for her whole trip so she was an extra babysitter and we would do the same if we were running the same race. Since we are not this time the parent not running that morning will be with him so nothing is needed. We also have some family nearby that we can probably tap for a morning if we really needed.

Random question and sorry if it has already been asked:

Myself and my boyfriend are both doing the 10k and half. We have never done Marathon Weekend and always do challenges. I submitted a POT for the half, but will that also apply to the 10k or is my corral likely going to be random for the 10k? Is it two separate bibs?

Myself and my boyfriend are both doing the 10k and half. We have never done Marathon Weekend and always do challenges. I submitted a POT for the half, but will that also apply to the 10k or is my corral likely going to be random for the 10k? Is it two separate bibs?

It will be two separate bibs. Your corral for the HM will be assigned based on your POT. Your corral for the 10k will be assigned based on your estimated pace. So if you estimate a slower pace, then you will be corralled further back. If you estimated a faster pace, then you will be corralled towards the front.

I’m leaving my hubby and 3 kids (10, 8, 5) at home so I say go for it!
Me too! My husband is completely opposed to the early morning wakeups and I am not planning to visit the parks anyway (just quick trip for the races) so my son won’t miss much. I think it would be tough to have a fun family vacation if you are doing more than one race.

Congratulations to all who registered this morning!

DH and I decided to switch to the Spring race weekend due to some real life issues (my FIL passed away in April and my MIL has dementia, which is rapidly progressing).

However, I am seriously considering flying down to spectate the marathon and DATW… 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter