• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

favorite resort restaurant?
1. Storybook Dining at Artist’s Point
Snow White, Dwarves, and freaking out my kid with potentially poisoned chocolates from the Queen??, too fun. Also, that mushroom bisque is amazeballs.
2. Trail’s End
Just great options, tasty, AYCE, and good service, followed in the evening by watching the fireworks on the beach before heading back to wherever I’m sleeping.
3. Boma
Such great options for Brunch. Great flavors. Great service. Followed and preceded by free animal watching at AKL.

But invite me to any resort dining and I’m there. Honorable mentions to Cape May Cafe, Chef Mickey’s, and The Wave.

SAFD:
We've always tended to eat most of our lunches and dinners in the parks (or DTD) so I'll choose Chef Mickey's mostly based on nostalgia as it's where we've had the most meals with family and friends when our kids were younger. I also miss Bonfamilles at the original Port Orleans.

Where do I want to eat that I haven't yet? Boma and O'hana (and many others!)

Which leads to an interesting question - maybe an early SAFD - if you had the choice to do a traditional Dopey (5K, 10K, half, whole) or a descending Dopey (whole, half, 10K, 5K), which would you prefer and why?
I've done Dopey the regular way 3 times, so I'd be interested to try the opposite order for comparison!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite resort restaurant? If you’ve never eaten at a resort, which restaurant do you want to try the most?
SAFD: V&A, hands down. Simply superb.
In the more budget-friendly category, I've been let down by most WDW restaurants the past 10ish years, which bums me out. Once upon a time, California Grill, Flying Fish, and Jiko would have topped my list: they were all amazing, in experience, service, and food. more recent visits were really sub-par. I do still enjoy Sanaa when I get over there, and I hope it never stops serving up the spice. I had an excellent meal at Il Mulino years ago and would gladly try it again.

So many resort places I haven't eaten at yet, but my faves are Jiko (for the food), Ohana (for the location and atmosphere), Hoop Dee Doo (for the experience). If Dopey is a go next year I'd like to try Storybook Dining at Artists Point, but I'm not sure if I'd feel weird there alone. Anyone want to join? :-)

Topolino's Terrace has quickly become our favorite resort restaurant. They have an excellent wine by the bottle selection and every dish we've had has always been great.

We've always enjoyed Flying Fish, Yachtsman and Citrico's but we're just waiting for them to reopen. California Grill is enjoyable but I find I can get similar food else where that I also love.

Also, running a marathon and then working down to a 5K feels anticlimactic. I love the way the anticipation and tension builds with each subsequent race. You can feel it in the crowd each subsequent morning. There is a nervous energy the morning of the marathon that doesn't exist before the 5K or 10K, in my opinion.
Agreed. You can feel the focus and excitement in the air before the marathon. I think there's a lot more wackiness and silliness (and there is nothing wrong with that at all) before the 5K and 10K then before the marathon. Almost like the shorter distances are trying to build up the energy whereas the longer ones don't need to. I even have certain pre big race traditions that I save for the night before a big race because my focus is starting to shift as it gets closer to bedtime on Marathon Eve.

I also like the feeling of having finished the marathon, so now it's time to celebrate. I'm less worried about how my food and touring choices will impact my performance and am far more likely to choose the very best dessert restaurants for after the marathon.

SAFD: I tend to eat mostly in the parks because of the time savings. I always say I should try more restaurants in Disney Springs or the resorts, but rarely do. Since 2009, I have eaten at exactly two resort restaurants. The table service restaurant at Riverside and Artist's Point after 2019 Dopey. I'm tentatively visiting with friends this November and there are some resort restaurants on their list.

SAFD:

I've missed a lot of these the last few weeks, but mmmmmm food.

We usually do a lot of quick service (because there are lots of choices and table-service for 6 is yowza expensive) but I liked Sanaa enough when DH and I went last August for our anniversary that I made a reservation for myself and SIL when we went in February. Even with the limited covid-times menu, it was still delicious and amazing.

Sushi at Kona Cafe was pretty good too.

SAFD: Sanaa.....it's one of the few restaurants at Disney that isn't totally, grossly overpriced for the quality/originality of the food. Boma's not bad either, since I can eat things there that I would not necessarily find at home.

Most of Disney restaurants have migrated over the years towards "variation on a theme" menus (1 Beef/Chicken/Fish/Vegetarian Entree and repeat) and the value is non-existent. Plus, the service for the Signature restaurants can be meh, and if I'm paying a small fortune to eat, I also want it to have a gracious atmosphere (Read: No loud, unruly families--which is tricky given it's Disney) I used to like Jiko, but had two consecutive bad meals (food and service) and never went back.

Honestly, I appreciate a well-done food court. You set your expectations accordingly, and it works out fine.

Honestly, I appreciate a well-done food court. You set your expectations accordingly, and it works out fine.
Oh good, I’m not alone! Years ago, I would have said ‘Ohana was my favorite, but at this point I’m a big fan of Pop Century’s food court. The WDW foods I look forward to again and again are Mickey waffles and the chipotle seitan and vegetable sauté.

SAFD: This is all I want to eat:

View attachment 583930
That box!

It brings back such good memories!
Anecdote: Before my first runDisney event and my first HM, I consulted with a sports nutritionist. She suggested trying one of these honey waffle marketed for runners and athletes. So I buy one, thinking, I could have an entire pack of Oreo for the same price. And then, I compare…

68BD72B3-306D-40D7-9034-78406B9EF24E.jpeg14D63435-85D0-4307-8EA1-6346A62A0EAB.jpeg
Nutritionally, Oreo wins by a slight margin.
Imagine my face when I opened that box after the race!

ETA to manage expectations: So sad they removed the Oreo.

That box!

It brings back such good memories!
Anecdote: Before my first runDisney event and my first HM, I consulted with a sports nutritionist. She suggested trying one of these honey waffle marketed for runners and athletes. So I buy one, thinking, I could have an entire pack of Oreo for the same price. And then, I compare…

View attachment 583970View attachment 583971
Nutritionally, Oreo wins by a slight margin.
Imagine my face when I opened that box after the race!

ETA to manage expectations: So sad they removed the Oreo.

I see a whole new QOTD......your most unusual --yet effective--race nutrition

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter