Marathon Weekend 2020

I vote for 2010 temps!

There were issues of slippery / icy conditions at the water stops in 2010 because it was so cold. Although I was training in the cold and used to it, I would prefer something a little warmer. 2017 temperatures do not take into effect the wind chill that day which made it feel at the start closer to 2010 conditions. 2015 I remember being a little warm. I do not recall weather being an issue for me in 2012 with a 50 degree start. I tried looking back at my Garmin data for the day, but it didn't show the temperature. The hard part about it being cold at the start is how long you have to wait to start.

We knew we were getting those all along, so it was kind of like wishing for something you already had... :)
Wasted a wish by not reading the fine print! Still happy about it - they were a surprise when we finished in 2018, and I was excited to get them again last year, so very happy they are keeping this up. I also love that they aren't generic black mouse ears but have the year and logo on them.

As someone who does not have much in the way at all of the color red, I'm very happy this year's marathon mouse ears are blue. And I will still treasure my 2019 red marathon mouse ears. But the blue is better.

Faron Kelly was on the Theme Park Rangers podcast on October 29.

www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-podcast/os-ne-s6-theme-park-fun-runs-rundisney-tpr-podcast-23-20191030-glhjh4qkdbeezm3kjcgz33prbe-story.html?outputType=amp

Said this about the marathon course:

Lap around World Showcase in Epcot before going to MK
Magic Kingdom
Animal Kingdom - loop around AK, exit back out towards Western Way
Head towards Coronado Spring Resort
Buena Vista Dr to Blizzard Beach
Hollywood Studios
Finish at Epcot
------
No mention of WWOS

Last edited:

www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-podcast/os-ne-s6-theme-park-fun-runs-rundisney-tpr-podcast-23-20191030-glhjh4qkdbeezm3kjcgz33prbe-story.html?outputType=amp

Magic Kingdom
Hollywood Studios
Finish at Epcot
------
No mention of WWOS

I would love this. World Showcase in the dark with the torches lit is an experience second only to the castle before sunrise, in my opinion. If I could get both in a single race, I would be very, very happy.

Interesting listen and a pretty good course description, I don’t know all the Disney roads that well but I’ll bet that gives a lot of insight to those that do and are trying to map it out.

Magic Kingdom
Hollywood Studios
Finish at Epcot
------
No mention of WWOS
Awesome!! OK. Who is mapping this out? @willieT ? @PrincessV ?

I would love this. World Showcase in the dark with the torches lit is an experience second only to the castle before sunrise, in my opinion. If I could get both in a single race, I would be very, very happy.

Sounds like a return to the beginning of the old course. If memory serves me correctly, there was a red start and a blue start. One went around World Showcase, the other stayed near the front half of the park, and they joined up around mile 4 before making the turn onto World Drive.

Here’s a link to my Garmin track from the 2010 Disney on Ice
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/22300048

Last edited:
Magic Kingdom
Hollywood Studios
Finish at Epcot
------
No mention of WWOS

Derek at Marathon Investigation is going to blow a gasket over this change. That’s just asking and inviting people to cut the course. If past practice holds, rD and Track Shack won’t care or do anything about it. Sad.

Derek at Marathon Investigation is going to blow a gasket over this change. That’s just asking and inviting people to cut the course. If past practice holds, rD and Track Shack won’t care or do anything about it. Sad.
Course cutting happens everywhere unfortunately and rD/Track Shack aren’t the only ones who do nothing so it’s certainly not singularly on them.

So without the actual map, this is all just a guess.

So something like this? That AK loop looks like 2 miles-ish. I'm guessing the one incentive not to course cut is you're cutting out one of the parks, whereas the common course cutting location in the old marathon course cut WWOS out. With that being said, the Blizzard Beach loop looks like it's about a mile and another prime cut spot. I came up with about 25.8 miles and added a small out and back on Western Way (could be more running in AK and not use E Savannah Cir). The design overall makes sense because it gets us off Osceloa Pkwy, World Dr, and doesn't cut All Stars off either.

The exit of MK would be around 10.6 miles. So 16 x 10.6 miles = 2:50 hours. So if we estimate the balloon ladies at 45min post-start (like 2019), then that puts their exit from MK at 8:35am. Sounds about right to me given the park opens at 9am.

EE would occur around 16.9 miles. So with AK opening at 9am that puts the gap from the 5am start time at 3.25-4 hrs. So a 14:07 min/mile pace from the first person to a 11:28 min/mile pace from the last person. That puts the estimated balloon lady to mile 17.0 (EE) at around 4.5 hrs (or around 10:15am). So a nice buffer time for those that arrive at 9am to EE.

Thoughts

-return to the old course should put Expedition Everest back on the table to ride I think. Especially if they open it early like they’ve been known to a few times.
-Does a loop through AK mean we’re going to go through Pandora? Because that’s going to be interesting and may explain the field size cut
-I’ve got some friends who are probably going to be trying to sneak off to Coronado for drinks if we pass close enough they’ll love the exit back to Western Way
-Spectator viewing is really going to change with the new course. While I’m not going to miss the AK parking lot itself it was an easy spot to see runners.
-Unexpected bonus: more time in parks means we’ll have a shadier route. Part of what made this year so hard is once you exited AK your exposed to the elements for several miles straight. More park time equals more areas where your not out in the open. So it will make a bad weather day just a bit better.

Last edited:

Ugh. I had a dream (nightmare?) last night about my Garmin (which I don't even own) malfunctioning and it said I was running a 12 minute pace but really it was like 20 minute pace and I was going to get swept before finishing the marathon (which I'm not even signed up for). So I decided to cut the course, but I still wanted to hit the 10k mat, which for some reason was near the end of the race (I don't even know), and I would have to do another shortcut after it. So I was planning to cut in 2 places to finish on time.

But even dream me was saying how wrong it was and there were obstacles in the way to try and cut the course - like a grounds crew at Magic Kingdom cutting/watering trees and having to slide down a sheet out of a window while Marie from Aristocats looked at me disapprovingly.

Moral of the story, don't cut the course even in your dreams.

Last edited:
Course cutting happens everywhere unfortunately and rD/Track Shack aren’t the only ones who do nothing so it’s certainly not singularly on them.

True. Many race directors don’t care. That’s not an excuse for rD and Track Shack not to care. They’re the ones who run and control this race, and they’ve shown zero inclination to do anything about course cutting on their course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter