I see the 5k & 10k going farely fast, the Half sells out around a week or two, but Dopey, Goofy & the Full sit open for a while if they even sell out. If we're making predictions that is which I really have no clue but with no anniversary that's my thoughts. I definitly feel like I've heard of less people planning on Dopey versus last year where everyone was planning on it.
The half really depends. Sometimes it can go in a few days sometimes it’s a month or two. The half will definitely go quicker than the full.

I think I remember one year Goofy hadn't sold out by the summer, so they split some of the Goofy entries up into half and full (I don't know if the full was sold out that year, but I'm pretty sure the half was)

I think I remember one year Goofy hadn't sold out by the summer, so they split some of the Goofy entries up into half and full (I don't know if the full was sold out that year, but I'm pretty sure the half was)
That was the first year I ran a runDisney race! I had just started running, hadn’t heard of runDisney before, and when I looked the half was sold out. A couple of weeks later I checked back, and more spots were open! And I signed up. I think that was Goofy’s 10 years running year, so they may have had more allotted for Goofy than before, and weren’t selling them as quickly. So glad they did that.

Are there any benefits/negatives to booking through a travel agent as opposed to doing it all yourself? I'm planning to run Dopey and I'm not picky about where I stay as I'll probably be traveling solo.

The only negative of using a TA is that you have to process payments through them. Depending on the TA you find they can do as little or as much as you would like them to. Some do more than others, but I think its pretty standard that they will make your ADR's and FP+'s. Some will go do more and some may do less. Using a TA will not increase your overall total so the money they earn either goes to them or Disney keeps it depending on booking method. You will find good agents and some not so great ones.
If your looking for a package deal for marathon weekend that comes with a bib thats a whole different thing that I do not know much about.

Are there any benefits/negatives to booking through a travel agent as opposed to doing it all yourself? I'm planning to run Dopey and I'm not picky about where I stay as I'll probably be traveling solo.

You might get a better deal through a travel agent, but I am not sure I would use the RunDisney reservation service for rooms. I had used the RunDisney travel services twice and I didn’t find any benefit to using it...in fact, in the end it was more hassle. First, when I booked the prices were absolutely no different from the website. Second, they required a minimum night stay. Three, two weeks to go, my top choice hotel opened up at a price I was fine with paying on the main Disney booking site. I was fine paying for any reservation change fees, so called the main booking and they had everything set for my new reservation but RunDisney would not let me change my reservation because I booked it through them—even though I believe they are also Disney. They would only let me change if there were available Run Disney blocked off rooms,which by this time they had none—even though the main site had plenty of rooms at the resort I wanted to stay at.

I know this was a strange, last minute change, but in the end, I didn’t see the point of using them. The only difference was actually slightly more limited room options and inflexibility to make any changes. To me, the only one who benefits is RunDisney because it allows them to somewhat track how many rooms they can reliably sell for marathon weekend. Everyone was plenty nice, but had I wanted to change my room reservation by booking direct, it would have been a piece of cake.

Hey guys! Can I revisit the POT question again?

So, I ran the Tuscaloosa Half Marathon today to get my POT. I finished in 2:28:02, which, according to McMillian, would put my estimated full marathon time as 5:11:32. So, should I put an estimate of 5:12 or 5:15 in when I register for the full (Disclaimer: This will be my first full. I have only done halfs before...)

So, I ran the Tuscaloosa Half Marathon today to get my POT. I finished in 2:28:02, which, according to McMillian, would put my estimated full marathon time as 5:11:32. So, should I put an estimate of 5:12 or 5:15 in when I register for the full (Disclaimer: This will be my first full. I have only done halfs before...)
One other question, as of now, the runDisney site is showing POT's can be submitted from 1/1/2016. If that is the case, I could use my 2016 Mercedes (Birmingham, AL) Half Marathon time of 2:22:28, which would put me around 5 hours. Would it be better to use that one?

One other question, as of now, the runDisney site is showing POT's can be submitted from 1/1/2016. If that is the case, I could use my 2016 Mercedes (Birmingham, AL) Half Marathon time of 2:22:28, which would put me around 5 hours. Would it be better to use that one?

If it holds true through actual registration day, I would say yes.

I do think the site will update with a PoT date starting in 2017 once we get closer to registration.

I would put 5:12 & I think it is 2017 for POT. They are just behind/missed it on updating most likely. Princess already says 2017.

The corral this year was for 5:01-5:29, so your estimate is not that sensitive. One question though: what do you want to run at Disney? Based on your previous time, you could come in under 5 hrs. Are you training for that?

If it was me, I would put 5 hours or slightly less. Who knows, you may get bumped up a corral. And even if you're doing the race just for fun, every little bit of corral placement can help.

The corral this year was for 5:01-5:29, so your estimate is not that sensitive. One question though: what do you want to run at Disney? Based on your previous time, you could come in under 5 hrs. Are you training for that?

If it was me, I would put 5 hours or slightly less. Who knows, you may get bumped up a corral. And even if you're doing the race just for fun, every little bit of corral placement can help.
Don't they look (or a computer does) though to make sure you're POT actually backs that estimate otherwise I could put any estimate despite my POT?!?!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

It's that time again, Sundays are for Disney! Let's jump right in...

What is your favorite segment of any runDisney race? If you haven't done a runDisney race yet, what portion of a race are you most looking forward to?

I liked a lot of the marathon course, even the back roads were interesting to me because it was something I'd never seen before. But, my favorite segment was running down Main Street, USA. The timing helped a lot - it was still dark, the Christmas tree and lights were still up and it was within the first few miles. I think it was also the first segment of the run with a significant number of spectators. So running down Main Street with the castle all lit up was really, really awesome.

For next year, I'm looking forward to running the World Showcase when the torches are lit.

Have a good week, everyone!

For me, the torches in Epcot. But, I’ve also never done the marathon so I’ve not run down Main Street yet. It was pretty sweet running through the castle in DL for the Light Side Half and the Avengers Halfs we’ve done.

Running down Main St. during the marathon is my favorite part. Even though I had ran it before twice & the half I burst into tears running down it this year & have no idea why, I guess it just all got to me that I was not sick or injured & could really take it all in:)
Oh & coming in via the regular entrace made it even better this time I think versus coming in backstage, way more 'magical'!

What is your favorite segment of any runDisney race? If you haven't done a runDisney race yet, what portion of a race are you most looking forward to?
This is hard. For the smaller races I love running around World Showcase with music playing and the torches lit.

For the half and the full I love running down Main Street. For the full I also love running through Animal Kingdom my favorite park and riding Everest.

Sundays are for Disney:

I'm not fast enough to enjoy Main Street. It's always very crowded and claustrophobic when I get there. Main Street gets me whenever I walk into the park on a visit, I guess it's just not as exciting in a race when I know I'm just passing through.

I love the 10K after coming into Epcot. It's such a fun course. I'll also always love rounding the corner after going past the access gate and seeing the final stretch. It never fails to get me when I hear the crowd and see the finish line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter