I haven't had any issues walking around the parks for hours and hours after the marathon. Now, squatting down into the "It's a Small World" boats, that was interesting!!

Usually I am more sore on Monday than on Sunday after the race.

I don't have any questions at the moment, I'm still trying to figure out if I should do "only" the half. It just feels like I should do the full, because that's what I have always done! Also trying to decide whether to tack on an extra night afterwards.

Tip: Buy Mylar blankets in bulk on Amazon - I have a stash of them that ran less than $1 per blanket. They come in a tiny package and are perfect for staying warm before a race, as well as for sitting on damp/wet pavement.

Question: I can't think of any!

My question: do I really need two pairs of shoes to train for and run Dopey? I've seen people say that, but I'm curious what others have done.
Year 1, I rbought 3 pairs for Dopey: one for 5K and half, one for 10K, one for full. Year 2, I brought 4 pairs, one for each race. Partly because I like different kinds of shoes for different distances, partly because I wanted to make sure I had a dry pair for each race, and mostly because I "needed" different colors for each outfit. :) (I also drive, so I can toss as many as I want in the car.) 2 pairs would probably suffice (1 for 5K and half, 1 for 10K and full - to allow a day between use.)

SAFD: my question would be as to the quantity of running gear is necessary. I hear pack for everything- do I need a tank, shorts, short sleeves, capris, fleece pants, long sleeves, and a throw away layer? That would be more volume than I would pack for my two no -race days! I realize people were upset about frost last year, and I have winter gear, will I really need it all?
Yes. Speaking as a Floridian living 100 miles from WDW, YES you need it all! You truly cannot know far enough ahead what the weather will be that time of year. 2017's cold front took us all by surprise - 5 days out, as I was packing, the forecast was calling for an unusually warm marathon... and it wound up being unusually cold, thanks to an unexpected cold front.

Tips:
  1. As @PrincessV said above, the mylar blankets you can order are really cheap. They are super easy/small to have in your luggage and come in really handy when it's 35 degrees and gusty in the corral on marathon morning.
  2. I've actually found it to be warmer sitting on the ground in the corrals, then standing up. Maybe it was the wind in particular. But in 2017, when it was really cold, I was surprised how much better it felt to sit down vs. stand up. I guess people were blocking me from the elements and the ground was still warm from the day before? Had the same experience this year.
  3. Thank as many volunteers as you can.
  4. Try to get out and walk some after the race in a park or Disney Springs. I tend to recover much quicker if I get out and do some walking later in the day. Makes Monday and Tuesday better after the marathon. ymmv
  5. Banana peels are just as slippery as they appear in cartoons...

I know this is answered approximately 1 million times in 1 million threads, but I don't want to try and slog through the search engine to find it. :rolleyes1

Since we aren't running the half this coming marathon weekend, we'd like to spectate some and cheer. The plan is to go to MK on Saturday for our park day, so thinking we get ourselves to TTC or Main Street to spectate. So, I think I read on the FAQ that you can cheer on Main street even without ticket media and I'd really like to cheer there just because that area is such a high point of the race. We are at Beach Club for the weekend, so no regular park buses running to get us there in time. I'm thinking we Uber over and plan to spectate on Main Street. So, the race starts at 5:30. I'm happy to get there plenty early to watch and cheer for as many runners as possible. For those of you who have done it or pay attention to spectating stuff (unlike me), what time should we try to arrive to get a good place to cheer? And, how does it work as the day progresses if that is a planned park day for us. Current park hours for the day start at 9:00 AM. I assume they run everyone out once the runners have all gone through MK. What time is that by the way? 7:30 - 8:00? So, maybe I try to get a breakfast reservation at Kona or the Wave or something that morning before regular park open? Somebody tell me what to do. :D

SAFD (in my case, Monday Mornings ;) ):

Advice: I've only done Princess, but I think general advice for any rD race is to focus on the good and let go of the not so good. I was worried about crowding, poor expo, long waits, but by consciously choosing to be positive, none of that stuff bothered me and I had a great time.
Also, stop for the castle photo. It's worth it!

Question: I really ask my questions as they come to me, but something I'm really nervous about is being so sore after the marathon, that I'm unable to hit the parks. If someone wants to reassure me that this won't be the case.. I'd appreciate it!

I had knee problems leading up to, during and after the marathon, so I was definitely sore, but I made it around okay. You’ll notice lots of other people hobbling around, too. Like others said, moving around helps with recovery, just go at your own pace.

An adult beverage or two doesn’t hurt, either. ;)

Tip: Buy Mylar blankets in bulk on Amazon - I have a stash of them that ran less than $1 per blanket. They come in a tiny package and are perfect for staying warm before a race, as well as for sitting on damp/wet pavement.

Question: I can't think of any!

Year 1, I rbought 3 pairs for Dopey: one for 5K and half, one for 10K, one for full. Year 2, I brought 4 pairs, one for each race. Partly because I like different kinds of shoes for different distances, partly because I wanted to make sure I had a dry pair for each race, and mostly because I "needed" different colors for each outfit. :) (I also drive, so I can toss as many as I want in the car.) 2 pairs would probably suffice (1 for 5K and half, 1 for 10K and full - to allow a day between use.)

Yes. Speaking as a Floridian living 100 miles from WDW, YES you need it all! You truly cannot know far enough ahead what the weather will be that time of year. 2017's cold front took us all by surprise - 5 days out, as I was packing, the forecast was calling for an unusually warm marathon... and it wound up being unusually cold, thanks to an unexpected cold front.

I like to double bag up some thick garbage bags. they get nice and toasty and tie a mylar around legs and waist. Words cannot describe how uncomfortable it is to be shivering for hours standing around so definitely be prepared for the cold.

SAFD:
I love all the advice!

My question is this: Do they ever close off the lines for characters pre-race? I know they've had to do it at least once for the Star Wars races, but I don't remember seeing it happen when I've been there. Pre-race characters are very important to me.
Also ... is there such things as too many pairs of shoes? I'm contemplating adding a third shoe into my rotation in a few months ... but I'm not sure if bringing three pairs of shoes for three races is too much or if I should stick to two pairs. Unclear if I will have room in my suitcase for all three pairs (although the 5K shoes go in my carryon), since I'll also be bringing at least two pairs of park shoes and a pair of heels (those are not for the parks ... probably)..
Yes, they do cut the character lines off before the race — there’s a CM at the end of each line who has a small “Line starts here”sign who will eventually close the line before the race. I dealt with closed lines during SW and Princess in the past few years. My guess is that they get the runners taken care of, have the characters take a break, then re-open for spectators and quick finishers.

And @SarahDisney you can never have too many shoes, no matter what my husband says!

My question: Any tips for staying at SOG during marathon weekend? I’ve stayed there before, just not during races. And what time should I book brunch at the Poly for after the half Saturday? I’m a middle of the pack runner, but not sure how efficient the buses are to resorts on the race route. We’ve got a ADR but might need to push it back.

My tip: don’t overlook using bag drop! Disney has the most organized efficient bag drop system, and it takes maybe two minutes to drop off and retrieve a bag. Some things in my bag: a hoodie that’s my extra layer before walking to the corrals, then something warm after; recovery flips; refillable resort mug (filled with hot tea in the morning, refilled back at resort); Run Disney beer cup (you get a discount for reusing); maybe sunscreen or sunglasses/hat for sunny days.

SAFD - another great topic!

I have no tips as I'm a first-timer... but I do have questions. Many of you have answered so many already - for which I am extremely grateful. Here are a few more:
  • what attractions are open to ride during the race(s), and for which race(s)? I have heard EE, ToT and RnRC for the marathon.
  • do Character Stops basically work like they do in the parks (i.e. you form a line and when it's your turn get the pictures you want). I'm guessing it would be at a more accelerated pace, obviously, but just curious if there's anything else I should know about them.
  • our spouses will be "spectating" for many of the races (we're doing the Dopey). What are the rules around spectating in the parks prior to park opening?
  • As an addendum to the above, we are staying at BCV, so I'm guessing our spouses could walk out and spectate anywhere around Crescent Lake with no issues?
  • Regarding the Expo - I've never been to WWoS. Can you take bus transportation to it straight from either a park or a resort? We're trying to figure out how to balance park time with Expo on Wednesday the 9th.
I'm sure I'll have a hundred more I'll ask in the next 5 months! Thanks everybody.

I have no tips as I'm a first-timer... but I do have questions. Many of you have answered so many already - for which I am extremely grateful. Here are a few more:
  • what attractions are open to ride during the race(s), and for which race(s)? I have heard EE, ToT and RnRC for the marathon.
  • do Character Stops basically work like they do in the parks (i.e. you form a line and when it's your turn get the pictures you want). I'm guessing it would be at a more accelerated pace, obviously, but just curious if there's anything else I should know about them.
  • our spouses will be "spectating" for many of the races (we're doing the Dopey). What are the rules around spectating in the parks prior to park opening?
  • As an addendum to the above, we are staying at BCV, so I'm guessing our spouses could walk out and spectate anywhere around Crescent Lake with no issues?
  • Regarding the Expo - I've never been to WWoS. Can you take bus transportation to it straight from either a park or a resort? We're trying to figure out how to balance park time with Expo on Wednesday the 9th.
I'm sure I'll have a hundred more I'll ask in the next 5 months! Thanks everybody.
No rides open prior to parking opening. So usually park opening is at 9AM. Any ride on course could theoretically be ridden then. Everest is the most popular since it’s right on the course. Tower of terror is another.

Character pictures during the race are very quick paced. It’s hand the attendant your phone snap and go. There is no several photos like they do in the parks.

I believe only MK allows guests into the park prior to park opening for spectating. So that only happens during the half and full. The smaller races they would have to spectate outside the parks.

They could easily go outside of BC and spectate the 10K or Full.

Bus transportation only goes from WWoS to resorts and recently they added Disney springs. No direct transportation to the parks.

When staying at an Epcot resort spectating is easy for both the 10K and full marathon. From the BCVs, just head towards the BC lobby and then out the back doors to the walkway around crescent lake. Mile 5 for the 10K is right near Hurricane Hannas, and miles 24 - 25 run down the BW canal, past the YC/BC before entering Epcot /WS.

Expo busses run from resorts only, but you can be creative if you're at MK, Ecpcot or HS. If at MK, simply walk over to the Contemporary and pick up the Expo bus. Epcot, exit International Gateway and pick-up the bus either at BC or BW. HS, walk or boat to any of the Epcot resorts and catch a bus from there. BW is probably your best best as it's the last pick-up spot before heading to the Expo.

I needed to get from MK to WWOS and needed to minimize the time I left my husband with our amazing (ly cranky) preschoolers. I thought it faster but overpriced to take a cab from MK over, I think it was $16 but I did not have to wait for Uber/Lyft or get to a bus.

SAFD: I can't think of any questions and the only tip I can think of is to make sure you stay inside the cones when you come to the timing mats (well, really ALL the time for safety!). I got super sick at Dopey this year and during the half I missed the timing mat before MK (5K mat?). It was dark, I was drugged and totally out of it and if some nice lady hadn't noticed and caught up to me and told me I missed it, my time would have been all messed up for Dopey! I was able to go outside the cones, run back then cross it. :)

ETA: @LikelyLynae 100% got me thru that race. I'm pretty sure she is also the one who noticed the lady trying to get my attention!

SAFD: I can't think of any questions and the only tip I can think of is to make sure you stay inside the cones when you come to the timing mats (well, really ALL the time for safety!). I got super sick at Dopey this year and during the half I missed the timing mat before MK (5K mat?). It was dark, I was drugged and totally out of it and if some nice lady hadn't noticed and caught up to me and told me I missed it, my time would have been all messed up for Dopey! I was able to go outside the cones, run back then cross it. :)

ETA: @LikelyLynae 100% got me thru that race. I'm pretty sure she is also the one who noticed the lady trying to get my attention!

Your time would have been just fine had you kept going. Missed or malfunctioning timing mats/chips happen with some frequency and don't impact your overall time, which is calculated from the time you cross the starting mat and finishing mat (just try not to miss either of those!) Unfortunately, all you really ended up doing was lengthening the course and the time you spent on it... :sad1:

Your time would have been just fine had you kept going. Missed or malfunctioning timing mats/chips happen with some frequency and don't impact your overall time, which is calculated from the time you cross the starting mat and finishing mat (just try not to miss either of those!) Unfortunately, all you really ended up doing was lengthening the course and the time you spent on it... :sad1:
With dopey they are usually strict about the timing mat aspect. I’ve heard of people being questioned at the end if they missed a mat. I’d say it’s more to prevent cheating than time so much.

Well that just makes me feel worse, lol!

With dopey they are usually strict about the timing mat aspect. I’ve heard of people being questioned at the end if they missed a mat. I’d say it’s more to prevent cheating than time so much.

I wasn't taking any chances! Plus I like to know all my splits, etc. :)

I think if you've had multiple timing mat misses they might say something or if there's a question about mats during the marathon. A missing time on the 5k mat of the half marathon isn't going to be noteworthy and you can always pull up your GPS trace to show you were legit if somebody decided to question it. I certainly wouldn't turn around and go back for it!

Well that just makes me feel worse, lol!

Don't feel bad about it, by any stretch! That wasn't my intention, at all. :flower1:

I just wanted you to be aware that it wouldn't impact your overall time and not to stress about it if it happens in the future! I know how hard and stressful that weekend was for you and hate that you felt like you had to do extra because of the mat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter