• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

70 degrees sound fantastic for me!!! It gets my vote! I'm even content with 50s to start!! I'll be coming from negative temps so 50 may even feel delightfully tropical!! I really want to wear Sparkle Skirts, though!!!

I plan on wearing my Sparkle Skirts regardless of the weather, just add tights under if it is cold. I could not live without my pockets. And with my current weight loss, the legs on my skirts are riding up so tights actually help (because Lord knows I can't afford to replace all my smalls with extra smalls right now!).

I do have some advice (from my running coach) for those who, like me, enjoy their run/walk intervals. If you want to make the run segments easier, pick one day every week (or every other week) and do a short run (3-5 miles) with a longer run interval than you regular run interval, but with the same walk interval.

The idea is to improve your VO2 Max by running at the same pace that you generally run on your run intervals, but extending the distance, thereby increasing the body's need for efficient use of oxygen during those intervals. This is what helped me run the sub-4 hour marathon a few years ago running 3-1 intervals. Once/week I was running 10-1 intervals (I worked my way up to that), but any increase in the run interval helps. You will find that your easy pace on those normal run/walk intervals will increase, helping you to run faster without an increased effort.

We are all different, but this really helped me. I still do it - only once/week. But you need to introduce something like this early in your training cycle, so it is too late to add it this year.

Anyone else have other training ideas to help improve run/walk pace or success?

I am not scientific at all but @DopeyBadger does this in my training plan. Every week I have had a day that my intervals were either 2:00/:30 (10k pace) or :45/:30 (marathon tempo) and some weeks had both. And I fought him on it, lol. But he talked me into just giving it a try and I will agree with you 100% that those days make my :30/:30 interval days easier!

Personally, I find the information on Galloway confusing. When I did runkeeper, the plan he had was run .5 mile walk .25 mile. There is a lot of older information out there which makes it difficult. He needs a new book out, updated apps, etc since we know he does like to market his stuff. I have watched a few interviews with him which made me change my viewpoint on how I thought the plan should go. I do really like the run/walk method mainly because I used to hurt running 6-8 miles and ever since I switched I no longer have that problem. His plans make it doable to run long distance without being sore or wiping out the weekend.

This is my take on the plan:
People will ask him about what intervals to use and he will basically tell them do what works for you. Play around with it. He switched his recommendations to shorter walk breaks because research found that they were only effective when they are between 15-30 seconds. If you look, he basically just split everything in half, so 3:1 is now 90:30. The goal is to finish strong at the end and be able to speed up the last third of the race.

One thing that surprised me was that he recommended doing intervals only on longer distances or if your doing speed work, etc. Your 30-45 min runs should be running straight through. This made more sense to me. He also suggested running daily. His plans are focus in the minimum needed to keep endurance etc that he/research has found.

At Disney races recently my plan has been " run to the next character stop". My goal is to get a picture with every character that's out on the course when I go by.

For those that are doing Galloway and that stop for pictures how does that impact your intervals. Do you just essentially restart your timer when you leave each character stop? IF you treat the character stops as extended walk breaks do you adjust your other intervals?

I never pay that much attention to the intervals to be honest. I don't think a few minutes walking or running changes thing. Usually I'll just pickup to wherever my watch is (I don't stop it) but sometimes I'll just run longer or walk longer until I'm back in synch. If I'm feeling good, I may just skip a walk break and start up at the next walk interval. I almost always start running after any stops unless I am over the race and need a few more seconds to motivate me to run again.

I do have some advice (from my running coach) for those who, like me, enjoy their run/walk intervals. If you want to make the run segments easier, pick one day every week (or every other week) and do a short run (3-5 miles) with a longer run interval than you regular run interval, but with the same walk interval.

The idea is to improve your VO2 Max by running at the same pace that you generally run on your run intervals, but extending the distance, thereby increasing the body's need for efficient use of oxygen during those intervals. This is what helped me run the sub-4 hour marathon a few years ago running 3-1 intervals. Once/week I was running 10-1 intervals (I worked my way up to that), but any increase in the run interval helps. You will find that your easy pace on those normal run/walk intervals will increase, helping you to run faster without an increased effort.

We are all different, but this really helped me. I still do it - only once/week. But you need to introduce something like this early in your training cycle, so it is too late to add it this year.

I agree. I had a tough year so decided to not push it and gave up improving my time so kept mostly with intervals during shorter runs. I am just going for finishing. I think doing longer intervals during the shorter runs is the way to go. I also think working on speed once a week for the shorter runs helps as well.

@rteetz, another part of marathon history was the Chip-n-Dale Marathon Relay in 2012.
I believe that was the only year they tried that?
EDIT: Oops, just read again about the older relay option.

Does anyone know when they started the first marathon?
I know in 2007 it was a 6:00 AM start time.
I preferred that.
That I’m not sure. I’d have to do more research. There isn’t a lot readily available online. I’d probably have to contact track shack if I wanted to do an in depth history article.

One thing that surprised me was that he recommended doing intervals only on longer distances or if your doing speed work, etc. Your 30-45 min runs should be running straight through. This made more sense to me. He also suggested running daily. His plans are focus in the minimum needed to keep endurance etc that he/research has found.

I don't know if that is what he used to say, but now you are definitely supposed to use run walk in those weekday runs. It even says it in his runDisney training plans you can download from runDisney site - "Each runner can choose the pace or the run/walk/run ratio for each of these runs." I do agree that his wording and plans can be confusing to figure out. I paid for 6 months of coaching from his head coach Chris Twiggs this past summer and with the video conferences was able to ask about the things that confused me. :)

Hmm, where's the colder weather contribution fund? All of my marathon PR's have come where the temperature never broke 50 degrees during the race. I'll enjoy the race no matter what, but I'd just like to avoid the temps we saw in '13. That race started in the mid-60's with 90%+ humidity and only got worse from there

I plan on wearing my Sparkle Skirts regardless of the weather, just add tights under if it is cold. I could not live without my pockets. And with my current weight loss, the legs on my skirts are riding up so tights actually help
Could you give me a brand and model to explain what you mean by "tights"? I only own skirts or capris so I'm not really sure how to go about "layering", but I definitely like the idea!

I don't think people "need" a playlist when they run, but on bad days it definitely helps power through.

I run with headphones because I can't stand the sound of my breathing and my feet hitting the pavement. If I can hear myself breathe I find it harder to get into a good rhythm. Or if I can hear other people who are heavily mouth breathing and I mean in the very, very obnoxious sense of mouth breathing. There is a local guy who every three or four deep breaths will make a loud grunting noise. I find it very distracting.

I started running also using the Galloway r/w/r. But I also found that with a lot of other people using it as well, that also became very distracting. I ran one race where another girl and I were playing leap frog because I was running a 1:30/30 and she was running a 45/30. I know I read a blog once that said they should come up with a Galloway app that synchronizes runners within the same race so that the timers at the same intervals would all go off together.

Does anyone have a Garmin Forerunner 630? How do the intervals affect the battery life? I just got the watch so haven't really played around with the features yet. I usually just have it for overall distance and time tracking. I'm thinking of turning it on for the marathon. I usually run my own pace until about 15 or 16 when I usually hit a wall. I thought about switching to the r/w/r at the end of the race to keep me moving. My latest running method I guess could be considered zen running. I just kind of go with how my body tells me I'm feeling.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I can run 2mins/walk 1min and hit 12:00min pace. I've also been know to walk 2mins/run 1 min and still hit the 12:00 pace. There are lots of variables that are person dependent. I just try to keep track of the pace signs in the air for reference and just do me.
I'll add to this for anyone wondering... a friend of mine often leads Galloway pace groups and while I don't start with a pace group, I frequently run into her and her group in WDW races and hang with them a bit to chat. The intervals she leads are usually a shorter run/longer walk than I use, but my run pace is a little faster than she has her group go and my walk is a little slower - it all evens out and I've used my own intervals while hanging with her group for a while.

This also sometimes works in reverse, as with this year's marathon when I could not escape a pace group in WWOS! I don't know what intervals they were using, but they were different than mine - but not different enough that I could pass them or fall behind them, lol! It became this weird motivational thing to pick up my pace to ditch them, already. (I hate running in a big group!)

The past few years I have tried various run/walk strategies and I know they work.
I am not disputing that at all. Nor am I knocking it as not running, never said that.
I can't recall knowing or seeing anyone do a 30/30 routine?
It just seems too short for the run portion.
Right as you get cruising speed you stop and walk.
During crowded races and bottlenecks do you at least vary your plan?
Hey @Grumpy_42K I took no offense to your comments! I do :30/:30 for the marathon, and for any double digit distances when I'm nursing something painful, so I can chime in here. I prefer longer run intervals, but my chronic IT band issues are happier with shorter intervals long-term. Yes - I do find :30/:30 choppy in the early miles. After a while, though, I kind of go on auto-pilot and it starts to feel smoother. A lot of that, I think, is working on making the transitions from walk to run, and run to walk, smooooooth: there is no stopping and starting, no putting on the breaks, only reducing/increasing my stride and cadence. :30/:30 is also a convenient system in crowded races because I find it really easy to skip a run or walk to move with the crowd as needed, then pick back up without over-exerting myself for a long length of time. I'm also a slow starter and faster finisher, so, again, :30/:30 makes it easy to go to 1:00/:30 or 1:30/:30 later in a race if I'm feeling good, without having to reprogram my interval app or anything: I just skip every other, (or every 3rd, or every 4th, etc.) walk break.

Here day dreaming about the weather because it's taper time and I have nothing else to do.

1/3 H - 78 L - 55
1/4 H - 72 L - 52
1/5 H - 75 L - 53
1/6 H - 74 L - 53
1/7 H - 72 L - 52
I started the day at 71* and 98% humidity. At 7am. :scared: Calendar says "winter", weather says "summer."

For those that are doing Galloway and that stop for pictures how does that impact your intervals. Do you just essentially restart your timer when you leave each character stop? IF you treat the character stops as extended walk breaks do you adjust your other intervals?
It doesn't impact my intervals in any way - I usually walk a bit immediately after a stop, because I'm trying to put my phone back in its case and strap it back to my arm, and that's pretty difficult while running, but otherwise I just go right back to my intervals. I don't use a timer - I use the iSmoothRun app on my phone and it says "Walk" or "Run" for my intervals, so I just do as I'm told!

:thumbsup2 I do something very similar in my non-race season. This past summer, I started adding :10 to my run intervals each week. So, say I started at 1:00/:30 - week 1 I'd go to 1:10/:30, week 2 1:20/:30, week 3 1:30/:30, etc. Because it was summer in FL, I found I did have to increase my walk intervals, too, to avoid overheating, so eventually I was doing 3:30/1:00. I also paid no attention to speed: my only goal was to increase the amount of run time, no matter how slow that had to be to deal with the heat. But the benefit was still there: the longer run intervals gave me a big boost in endurance when fall finally showed up.

Could you give me a brand and model to explain what you mean by "tights"? I only own skirts or capris so I'm not really sure how to go about "layering", but I definitely like the idea!

I just wear the footless tights from Walmart or Target, not any special running ones. Fleece lined ones when it is really cold. The ones I have are a poly blend, no cotton (do they even make cotton tights?) so they work for me. Mine are probably Walmart brand, lol. I just wear them under the skirt/shorts. A plus is that it makes your skirt easier to pull back up after potty stops, lol. Last year, the day I was leaving for Disney was when the forecast changed to the bitter cold that we experienced during the marathon so I ordered some yellowy orangey ones from Amazon for my Daisy costume and had them delivered to my hotel. :)

Last edited:
:confused: Wow, really? Are you new here or what? Because you just insulted dozens of people on this board. Smh
Sorry if people got offended at my comment. That was not my intent. I was stating my opinion, as I personally have not seen consistent success from marathoners who every 30 seconds are taking a walk break. However, I now understand this method has been tested and proven to work for many on this board, and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how or how fast you cross the finish line. So I am sorry.

I run with headphones because I can't stand the sound of my breathing and my feet hitting the pavement. If I can hear myself breathe I find it harder to get into a good rhythm. Or if I can hear other people who are heavily mouth breathing and I mean in the very, very obnoxious sense of mouth breathing.
This is me as well! Plus I have a Hydraquiver for my training runs and although I love the thing to death and will never give it up, there can be a bit of a slosh noise that happens and with my hyper sensitive hearing if I had to hear that the whole run I would probably throw it in the street after a few miles miles! Headphones have a few different purposes for me during a run. It is not right or wrong, just right for me!

At Disney races recently my plan has been " run to the next character stop". My goal is to get a picture with every character that's out on the course when I go by.

For Disney we don't stop our timers. We never run Disney for pace honestly, so we just do whatever/whenever. We just ignore the timers when we are in line for a character and then get back into the proper interval once we are done. Sometimes we also just run through some walk intervals if we were in a long character line. We definitely are not ruled by the timer on Disney runs.

We do something similar. We do our weekly maintenance runs usually doing a 2:00/:30 interval and push our pace a bit more and then do :90/:30 on the long runs. This year we also put in some track work doing some 400, 800, 1 mile repeats at various paces as well as doing some cadence drills to improve turnover and acceleration gliders to improve our transitions.

Sorry if people got offended at my comment. That was not my intent. I was stating my opinion, as I personally have not seen consistent success from marathoners who every 30 seconds are taking a walk break. However, I now understand this method has been tested and proven to work for many on this board, and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how or how fast you cross the finish line. So I am sorry.

Thanks for that. Intent is often misunderstood on message boards and not many people are willing to apologize. Most have a tendency to double-down. :D I think if you join in on the running thread or read some of the training journals you'll see lots of people who do have success with all kinds of different methods. It's why I love running so much. There is no single right way to do it.

Right? I don't even consider that running, to be honest. I could understand running for like 5-10 minutes, then walking for 1.

I run half marathons and marathons at the 2:00 run; 30 second walk ratio. I got a half marathon PR this fall of 1:59:xx. My pace was 8:59 (I run bad tangents, haha.)

I absolutely consider the run walk method to be running, no matter what your pace. I give my example though to show that you can achieve what is a goal for many people using this method. I'm much faster this way than running straight through.

These are my fleece lined ones (should have said leggings, not tights, sorry!)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winter-W...th-Leggings-Thights-Pants/909262368#read-more

These are my unlined ones. I like them because they are long and I have long legs and usually have a gap between my socks and the end of the leggings. I don't like that they have a seam down the side of the leg, but that is just aesthetics, doesn't effect functionality. :)
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3011535/juniors-so-long-leggings.jsp?color=Black&prdPV=1

ETA: Both of those have the seam, lol. I have some with no seams, I guess you just have to check them at the store if you don't like seams. :)

A - HP Field House

• Official runDisney Merchandise
  • Pre-Purchased Commemorative Item Pick-Up
  • Dopey Challenge Race Bib and Race Shirt Pick-Up
I love that all this is in one building! Idk if it has always been this way but honestly, just being able to do everything in one building will make my day!
No this is new. It will be nice for sure.

These ideas would be for future training plans since time is limited for Marathon Weekend. I'll spare everyone who doesn't want to read a really long post by putting it behind a spoiler. My advice would be the same whether you choose to use run/walk or continuous run:

1) Balance - you'll see this theme in most all advice that I give
2) Train slow to race fast - Whether it be a 5k or the marathon, these events are mostly aerobic endurance events. The 5k is roughly 80-85% aerobic and the marathon 99%. So this means a healthy dose of aerobic running will greatly improve performance at any of the distances between them. Aerobic training is mostly easy running. For a continuous runner, that's roughly current fitness marathon pace (CFMP) + 9% or slower and for a run/walker that's roughly current fitness marathon pace (CFMP) + 2 minutes. In both these cases, the majority of the running will be slow and easy. I typically schedule my runners for about 80% of the training to be at this slow endurance pace or even slower (and the other 20% is hard). You might wonder why CFMP + 9% for continuous and CFMP + 2 min for run/walk. I'll use an example of a 5:15 marathon runner to explain:

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 11.55.11 AM.png

Let's say there are two runners. One chooses to use run/walk and the other continuous. Their current fitness is the same: a 5:15 marathon. For the continuous runner, I would schedule their long easy run pace to be 12:51 (as seen on the lower chart). That's roughly 7% slower than their marathon pace (a 12:00 min/mile). Now let's look at the run/walker. They are going to do 60/30 run/walk for a 12:00 min/mile marathon pace at 10:40/16:00. The Galloway long run recommendation is to add 2 minutes to the CFMP (12+2=14). He also says to maintain the same walking pace and the same intervals. Now here's the magic. If you maintain the same walking pace and interval durations, there is only one variable left: run pace. So in order to achieve the 14:00 min/mile Galloway LR pace, you have to slow down the run. Now where does this 60/30 with 16:00 min walk pace end up to average 14:00. Well, that's a 13:10 min/mile run. Why is that important? That just so happens to fall into the same easy zone as the continuous runner. If you look back down the chart you can see the continuous runner's easy is 12:51 to 14:11. The run/walk run pace is 13:10 which falls into that easy zone. Therefore, the continuous runner and run/walker are reaping similar benefits in the training. They are both eliciting endurance physiological responses that will help produce countless benefits to make them a faster runner. Here's the key point- could they accomplish a workout faster than CFMP+9% or CFMP+2 min? Certainly. But they wouldn't necessarily be reaping the benefits of the adaptation to endurance pacing. They'd survive the training, but not necessarily thrive because of it.

3) Balance the training throughout the week - I view training weekly mileage like a wheel. A single 50 mile run on day 1 and no running on day 2-7 is not the same as doing 50 miles spread over 7 days. It doesn't have to be equal, but the more the training can be spread out over the week the more beneficial the gains. You'll spend less time recovering from runs and more time adapting because of them. That's why I try to slowly build my runners to more training days per week, but maybe less time spent training in any one given run. One might be concerned about doing less mileage in a single run, but this is overcome because you don't enter runs at near 100% freshness. Rather you come in with a cumulative fatigue that allows that longer run to simulate not miles 0 to x, but rather miles 10 to x.

4) Balance amongst the pacing - I'm a big proponent of eliciting lots of different benefits throughout the training cycle. And one of the best ways to do that is to vary the pacing. Sticking with the 80% easy and 20% hard concept. Within that 20% hard, you've got anything at or faster than CFMP. Now I take that 20% and split it up even more. Different physiologically relevant paces use the muscles differently, elicit different responses, require different recovery timeframes, etc. So if I can do a 5k workout one day and a HM workout another, I'm challenging the body differently. I'm allowing certain aspects of the physiological profile to recover during some runs while challenging other parts to adapt. Doing this helps optimize the benefits gained in a single training cycle. If I instead do a HM workout twice per week, I might be causing a recover only and no adaptation response by the body since it takes longer to recover than a few days from a HM type workout. This as @Dis5150 mentioned that in her plan I wrote for her I challenge her with different paces other than Marathon Tempo or Long Run/Easy to elicit a response. I'm trying to make her faster simultaneously while training to make her be able to run further easier. I vary her pacing to challenge multiple aspects of her performance. Now as race day draws closer, the pace should tighten towards goal pace. So we might have started with 3k pacing in the beginning of the plan 16 weeks out, but if the goal race is a marathon, then we'll be working on marathon pace with only a few weeks to go. Specialize the body towards the goal race pace and distance.

5) Pay attention to the duration - As is the same for run/walk intervals so is the same across the board. I'm a big believer that the body views training as TIME x Current Fitness Relevant Pacing. The body only sees miles through the combination of these factors. So pace and time matter way more than miles. So I consider time first when writing a training plan. How long is the easy day going to be? 60 minutes of easy running, perfect! Now what's this person's easy pace? Got it, ok now pace X time and I've got the mileage to tell them. Mileage is the last piece to the puzzle for me. Take this example:

Two runners:

Runner A does 1 mile WU + 2 x 1.5 miles @ T w/ 90 second Rest + 1 mile CD (where WU and CD are slow easy pace and T is 60 min race pace)
Runner B does 2 mile WU + 2 x 3 miles @ T w/ 90 second Rest + 2 mile CD

Who did the more challenging workout? The WU, CD, and T paces are based on their physiological current fitness. So in essence they are the same, not the same between Runner A and B, but rather the body views them the same. But Runner B is running a total of 10 miles, whereas Runner A is running 5 miles. Runner B is doing 6 total miles of T and Runner A is doing 3 miles of T. Seems like the easy answer would be Runner B is doing the harder workout. But what if I told you that Runner A's and B's paces were the following:

Runner A: WU/CD = 14:00 min/mile and T = 10:00 min/mile
Runner B: WU/CD = 7:00 min/mile and T = 5:00 min/mile

Do the math and you find that both runners completed the same total duration of workout and same total time spent at T. They elicited the same exact benefits by running the same duration for the same relevant pace.

So when I write a training plan, I pay attention to the duration of the easy day, the duration of time spent at T or MP, or HMP, the duration of the long run, the duration of rest breaks, the duration of the total weekly training, etc.

I've got plenty of more philosophies and ideas. In the end, we're all the same and yet we're all different. It's all about finding what works best for you and trying to become the best you you can be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter