Marathon Weekend 2018

I remember being caught totally off guard for the marathon temp last year! I ran the 5k and 10k in a tank top...the half was cancelled, but I ran on my own--I honestly can't remember what I wore, but I don't remember temperature being an issue! For the marathon... I was SO fortunate that my husband was with me and he went to the Under Armor store at Disney Springs the night before the marathon to buy me warmer clothes! He said it was a madhouse with other runners doing the same thing! I've learned my lesson! Regardless of the forecast, this year I am preparing for any kind of weather!

UA store definitely was nuts. I drove to the outlets at 8:00 or so to get tights at the Nike store. Well worth it!

I remember being caught totally off guard for the marathon temp last year! I ran the 5k and 10k in a tank top...the half was cancelled, but I ran on my own--I honestly can't remember what I wore, but I don't remember temperature being an issue! For the marathon... I was SO fortunate that my husband was with me and he went to the Under Armor store at Disney Springs the night before the marathon to buy me warmer clothes! He said it was a madhouse with other runners doing the same thing! I've learned my lesson! Regardless of the forecast, this year I am preparing for any kind of weather!

This is one of the reasons we like staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom DVC, so we have in-room laundry. I bring one set of rain/cold gear (that could take me all the way to Colorado style cold), and just plan to launder/dry it if I need it for more than one day.

This is one of the reasons we like staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom DVC, so we have in-room laundry. I bring one set of rain/cold gear (that could take me all the way to Colorado style cold), and just plan to launder/dry it if I need it for more than one day.
Yep! We are staying in a OKW 2 bedroom this time! I am bringing 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of knee length tights, and one pair of full length tights!

I understand those that feel they have been staged in the wrong corral but I feel they may be instilling undue worry in WDW running rookies.
If you are the 25,001th runner to cross the START LINE, that doesn't mean you have to worry about 25,000 runners in your way.
(Unless of course you are the Brazilian dude that usually wins.)

The reality is that you have so many runners doing their own thing, any time during the race may turn out to be an ideal window.
You have folks trying to PR, those that stop at every photo op, ride rides, drink beer, visit with family spectating, run/walking, etc.

Unless you leave at the front of corral A, (Spoiler alert*) you will literally have thousands of people in front of you the whole race!
The good news? They are spread over 26 miles!

I have started from C corral to the last corral and in between and haven't had a bad, or overcrowded run at any time.
I actually started next to dead last one year.
During the ice bowl of 2010, you could basically choose your corral since the volunteers were more concerned with hypothermia.

One advantage of a faster runner leaving a slower corral is the speed difference, especially in the first couple of miles.
If you have a large pack of runners and the ones in front of you are moving just slightly slower than your ideal pace, you have to make a decision.
"Should I pass or chill for a bit?" Whereas, if you are much faster you simply pass them.

One of the more interesting things is the way you tend to leap-frog runners and then they leap-frog you.
They stop for pics and you don't or you run/walk, it happens that you see many of the same folks for many miles.

The true bottlenecks are cone alley after MK and before Grand Floridian is the one I hate the most.
Second place belongs to the tiny sidewalk outside of AK. Groan!
These spots will likely be packed regardless of your corral.

As for the character stops, I believe they police themselves. If they are too crowded many people just run by.
For most runners there are one or two "must stops," otherwise get them next year.

That was me, but at Columbia and WalMart. Never again!!

I’d heard it was cold last year, but it seems everyone was caught off guard. Did the forecast change or did everyone just pack assuming Florida would be hot?

(I’ll learn from everyone’s drama and just have every piece of run clothing I own packed just in case and I’ll just look like Joey from Friends on the plane if there isn’t room in my suitcase)

I’d heard it was cold last year, but it seems everyone was caught off guard. Did the forecast change or did everyone just pack assuming Florida would be hot?

(I’ll learn from everyone’s drama and just have every piece of run clothing I own packed just in case and I’ll just look like Joey from Friends on the plane if there isn’t room in my suitcase)

A cold front that wasn’t slated until Monday ended up rolling through the area late Friday night - a brutal early morning storm caused the cancellation of the half on Saturday and it got to below freezing on Saturday night!

Most people were already in town for Marathon Weekend - especially if you were doing Dopey - but the levels of cold hadn’t been seen in Orlando in 7-8 years.

A cold front that wasn’t slated until Monday ended up rolling through the area late Friday night - a brutal early morning storm caused the cancellation of the half on Saturday and it got to below freezing on Saturday night!

Most people were already in town for Marathon Weekend - especially if you were doing Dopey - but the levels of cold hadn’t been seen in Orlando in 7-8 years.
Yep. It still wasn’t as bad as Wisconsin though :)

I’d prefer that to not happen again this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter