Marathon Weekend 2017!

For those of you who have registered for runDisney races in the past...I'm seeing mixed reviews about hitting "refresh" once you are in the queue during registration. I've heard that you absolutely should not hit it because you will lose your place and then I see other people chant "refresh, refresh, refresh!" What say you?

For the DLR Open Registration day, I was able to just hit the link and was able to secure a spot right at 12PM EDT for the first person (Dumbo Dare).
The Second account/person - once I went and logged in - the 10K was "On HOLD" - not necessarily SOLD OUT, but I just kept on refreshing and it seemed to work for me.

NOT sure of the in the queue version - but I seem to equate the runDisney experience to TicketMaster.

My wife and I live in Seattle. When ever we go to Orlando we find in the summer we have to run very early in the morning otherwise the heat & humidity is too much for us ..... It doesn't dissipate sufficiently in the evening either.

Congrats on your new job. Part of me is envious!

Thank you so much! Seems like early morning is going to be my best bet!

There's no way to avoid the humidity in Florida in the summer, only ways to deal with it. The best way is to teach yourself to run by level of effort and not by a given pace. A heart rate monitor is very useful for this as you can use it to keep your HR in a certain zone. On some really hot and humid days, staying in that zone will require an 11 min/mile. On cooler days, that pace might be 10 min/mile. In either case, you're putting forth the same amount of effort. Other tips:

- hydrate early and often
- consider eating ice pops (the kind in the plastic tube) to keep your core temperature down
- don't rush it. You'll need a few weeks to adjust to the weather, so don't jump right into where you left off. Reduce your mileage a bit until you acclimate.
- run very early in the morning. The humidity might still be up, but the air temperature will be down.
- consider wearing arm sleeves that you can wet to keep yourself cool

This was super helpful, thank you! Right now I run a sub 8 min/mile so I'm definitely going to slow myself down a bit in order for my body to get used to the climates. Those tips are going to come in handy though!!

Once you get to September it's becomes a lot easier to run, oct/nov/dec are usually awesome training weather so it works well with marathon weekend since the longer runs hit then..

I live in central Florida and this is my first year I'm training through summer (vs starting hard training in sept) and yeah now if you don't start early it's miserable

I'll be looking forward to the fall months! Best of luck with your training as well!!

I could have written this myself - exact same feeling about RR! Glad I did it the first time - haven't missed not having it since. :thumbsup2

I'll echo @FFigawi : don't worry about pace - go by effort and feel. Let your body dictate the pace base don conditions. I'll add that the less sun, the better: I can't do pre-dawn runs, but I do use routes with plenty of shade. I hit the pool to do water running, or will go indoors on a treadmill, a couple times a week to give my body a break from the heat. Hydrate and hit the electrolytes. For marathon training last year, I started doing some of my super long runs by time, instead of distance: I knew I'd do the same distance at the same effort at a faster pace in Jan, so I'd use my avg winter pace to determine, say, how long 17 miles might take in cool weather and run that amount of time when it was 95* in early Oct. I had some naysayers, but it worked really well for me! What else... I carry a handheld water bottle and run routes with plenty of options to refill, and I never refill without also dousing myself in cool water (I now know which public water fountains are chilled - bonus!) I tie a bandanna around my wrist and soak that with water, too - it can stay on my wrist to wipe my face, or I can untie it and drape it soaked across my neck and shoulders for a little coolness and break from the sun beating down. SUNSCREEN! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the helpful tips, they will definitely come in handy! Best of luck during your training as well :)

Tomorrow!!! So excited to get registered and be officially in for Goofy.

Just wondering which resort people are staying in. Trying to decide so figured I would just see where everyone else is staying.

We rented points at Beach Club Villas. I'm super excited to stay there.

For those of you who have registered for runDisney races in the past...I'm seeing mixed reviews about hitting "refresh" once you are in the queue during registration. I've heard that you absolutely should not hit it because you will lose your place and then I see other people chant "refresh, refresh, refresh!" What say you?

Agree that once you are official in queue with the running man, stay put. I think when people are talking about "refresh, refresh, refresh" is when they are waiting for the links to go live. I usually try to be online 10 minutes or so early and then obsessively hit refresh until the link goes live. I'm not really anticipating any problems for Goofy honestly. Last time I ran it, it didn't even sell out and it was an anniversary year. Clearly Dopey attracts more people.

We haven't registered for anything since the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge early last year and never had to do the On Hold thing, but in the e-mail last week runDisney advised to check back or refresh when you get the On Hold status. For what that's worth anyway...
rundisney%20registration%20tips.jpg

We're talking about 2 different things here.

IN THE QUEUE is when you see the little green man walking across the screen. That means that you are in line and you just need to wait your turn to register. Once it's your turn, the screen will refresh by itself and you'll have 15 minutes to fill out what you need. DO NOT REFRESH if you see the little green man.

(Best picture I could find)
Screen-Shot-2015-02-20-at-4.02.47-pm.png

ON HOLD means that the queue is currently full and that if everyone who is in the process of registering actually completes their registration, the event is full. This is when you need to refresh because sometimes people will change their minds, or their 15 minutes will run out, or whatever, and a spot in the queue will open back up. It'll look like this (except obviously it would be Marathon Weekend events). When a race comes off hold, there's a radio button you can click to register.
145fE2iZtakY4ljg-M7hvVEh5E7UGBNwoYtTlXjI1oQB=w665-h780-no

We're talking about 2 different things here.

IN THE QUEUE is when you see the little green man walking across the screen. That means that you are in line and you just need to wait your turn to register. Once it's your turn, the screen will refresh by itself and you'll have 15 minutes to fill out what you need. DO NOT REFRESH if you see the little green man.

(Best picture I could find)
Screen-Shot-2015-02-20-at-4.02.47-pm.png

ON HOLD means that the queue is currently full and that if everyone who is in the process of registering actually completes their registration, the event is full. This is when you need to refresh because sometimes people will change their minds, or their 15 minutes will run out, or whatever, and a spot in the queue will open back up. It'll look like this (except obviously it would be Marathon Weekend events). When a race comes off hold, there's a radio button you can click to register.
145fE2iZtakY4ljg-M7hvVEh5E7UGBNwoYtTlXjI1oQB=w665-h780-no
Liking this post just didn't seem sufficient. That is an excellent summary for those of us who will be seeing one or more of these screens for the first time tomorrow. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

DW and I will have two computers up and running tomorrow. We're going to try to get the both of us as well as DS and DD into the 5K. Once we do that, then DW and I will hopefully register for the half.

I am really nervous about registering tomorrow. I want the half and have to register someone else as well. Two separate computers are ready :)

Liking this post just didn't seem sufficient. That is an excellent summary for those of us who will be seeing one or more of these screens for the first time tomorrow. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
:teeth: Glad it's helpful. I saw the green man for the first time during Wine & Dine registration, and something about the page looked so incredibly fake to me that I thought I'd been hacked or something. It totally threw me.
DW and I will have two computers up and running tomorrow. We're going to try to get the both of us as well as DS and DD into the 5K. Once we do that, then DW and I will hopefully register for the half.
That's what I would do as well - 5K first.
I am really nervous about registering tomorrow. I want the half and have to register someone else as well. Two separate computers are ready :)
I think you and @Nole95 should be all set for the half, as long as you are ready right when registration begins.

Last edited:

I might have asked this earlier, but I want to try and clarify before tomorrow. Once we get through the queue, can DW register herself and DD while I register myself and DS? Or do we need to go through the queue four separate times for each 5K registration?

I might have asked this earlier, but I want to try and clarify before tomorrow. Once we get through the queue, can DW register herself and DD while I register myself and DS? Or do we need to go through the queue four separate times for each 5K registration?
If they're under age 18, you and your wife can register them under your account. It'll still be separate registrations, but you don't have to log out and log back in. There's an option for register yourself or someone under 18.

If they're 18+, they need their own accounts.

The half did sell out a few days ago for pre-sale. The only things not sold out are Goofy, marathon & kids races.
Good Luck to all registering tomorrow, may the race odds be ever in your favor!

If they're under age 18, you and your wife can register them under your account. It'll still be separate registrations, but you don't have to log out and log back in. There's an option for register yourself or someone under 18.

If they're 18+, they need their own accounts.

So does this mean that once DW registers herself, there will be an option that allows her to register DD without going back out to the queue. Essentially, she would only see the little green man one time.

I know the whole Active routine when it has just been us registering. This is the first time we will be trying to register the kids for the same races we will be running in. With the 5K being the most popular, I am making sure I know what to expect ahead of time.

So does this mean that once DW registers herself, there will be an option that allows her to register DD without going back out to the queue. Essentially, she would only see the little green man one time.

I know the whole Active routine when it has just been us registering. This is the first time we will be trying to register the kids for the same races we will be running in. With the 5K being the most popular, I am making sure I know what to expect ahead of time.
I am not sure, as I haven't had to register a kiddo - but I THINK that you would not wait in the queue again. But then you'd have to go back and select the 5K a second time, so maybe you would...:confused3 Sorry, I'm not a ton of help with this. I just know you wouldn't have to log out of your Active account.

For wine n dine- once I got my registration done. It let me select the next registration without re-queuing back up. I then picked the 'this is not you' signed into active account #2 (husband) and got him registered before our second/his screen cleared the queue (only moments before though)

Nothing was on hold yet so not sure what happens once that factors in..

My 2 cents- if you are a reader of things or want to feel more confident I suggest clicking through an open race registration to see what's required, what's you'd be signing etc..

-em

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter