Marathon Weekend 2017!

Do it! I have zero coordination on a treadmill (and not much on solid ground for that matter). If I'm not watching my feet or grabbing the rail, I'll get tripped up and eat it. So that...for more than a mile...no thanks. Bring on the cold. You warm up after the first couple miles anyway.

When I get off the treadmill, it is like the room is off tilt. I'm not necessarily dizzy, but I hold onto something for a couple minutes and feel like I might tip!

Thanks, guys! I hate having to rely so heavily on fitness developed for a race at the beginning of November. I'd just really like to top off the hay supplies a little bit...

I did wine and dine and then suddenly went nuts and registered to do the half. So really I have barely run too! I'm just going to try to get a 9 in before race day and some speedy short runs. But that dreaded treadmill...

You're definitely right... I hadn't run at all for two weeks leading up to the Princess Half this year and I feel like I was totally jacked up on adrenaline and excitement the entire time! Hopefully the training I've done so far and Disney magic (and maybe the promise of a margarita after the finish? :D) will see me through this!

Nothing would make me run faster than a passion fruit margarita from La Cava. I will meet you there!

Today's Sundays are for Disney: What is your favorite running memory or most memorable race?

My most memorable race has to be the Run Woodstock 50k. Starting in the dark, raining, running on single track trails in mud that was up to my ankles at times. Hardest and most rewarding race I have been a participant. There were runners there competing in 50 and 100 mile distances. So inspiring to run along side them! Going back next year for the 50 miler.

Best running moment...my very first race ever was the jingle jungle 5k back in like, 2013? I wanted to go to disney, had no one to travel with, so I thought hmm solo? But I was concerned. So, I recalled being at disney during the 2009 princess half weekend seeing medals, and it was when I learned about their races. I looked it up, found the 5k, planned around those dates and did a solo trip telling everyone and myself that it was based around the race. Now, I had always been an AWFUL runner. It's a breathing thing for me, not physical really. So I only got to 1.5 miles and that was madness to me. Terrified before the race. (I stopped for a photo with a jungle book monkey solely because I had to stop for a minute, and my head and his plastic mouth collided, ow). Managed to finish! Cried.

I also watched the half runners that night at midnight coming past the boardwalk because my YC patio was right next to the path. I got motivated. The next year I ran TOT, then 2015 PHM, then the 2015 half of a half (didn't count), then 2016 half, Dark Side challenge, and last month FINALLY finished that 13.1 wine and dine half. With a PR. Brought my whole running life full circle :)

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Four weeks to go! 28 days!

Today's Sundays are for Disney: What is your favorite running memory or most memorable race?
My favorite is my first runDisney race and first marathon, the 2012 WDW Marathon. It was a great experience of completing a long time desire of running a marathon and to do it at a Disney event made it even better!

Since I've only done two races (one just to get my corral placement) and neither was anything to write home about, I will say my favorite running memory so far. It would have to be TODAY! 35 degrees, 15 mph winds and drizzling rain almost the entire time and I crushed 6 min off of my 10K time. And I was SMILING. You guys, I've finally got the running bug. I'm so excited for January!

Definitely finishing my first marathon as part of the Dopey Challenge this past January. I never intended to ever run a marathon but the siren call of Dopey was just too much.

A secondary favorite moment was during Princess Half 2015. I'm not a princessy girl at all, mostly because I am not poised and tend to jump right in mud and such, but I'd dressed as Rapunzel (mostly due to Pascal) and when I came upon the Heroes character stop, I pulled over to just quickly snap a photo, but just by happenstance Flynn noticed me and shot me The Smolder. That was fantastic and just a small moment that exemplifies how special rD races can be. :love:

I don't have any super memorable runnin moments or races. I've only really started running again 13 months ago. If I had to pick one moment though, it would probably be my half marathon in October. It was the first time my son was at the finish of a race and I took 10 minutes off my half PR.

Then there is no effect on the distance, you're fine. If you said you took an hour, or 3 hours, or 6 hours between each of the segments, then they may not add up to a typical long run (thus, you wouldn't elicit the same physical adaptations that you desire with long run training). But a few minutes to stretch and pee as described will have no ill effect (and if anything will prepare you for character photos and rest stops during the race! :mickeyjum) :thumbsup2

Yes, the marathon starting area where the corrals are is on a long stretch of road (not the same stretch of road that goes from gear drop off to corrals). The corrals take up half the road, and there is "empty" walking space on the other half. There are people walking to their corrals so be cognizant of them on the "empty" side, but I do know that there is space next to corral A through H that is pretty open to take advantage of a warm-up. In each of my three Disney marathons, I have had no issue warming-up pre-race right there before putting myself into my corral. It's an estimated 0.2-0.3 miles long.

Thank you for the response. I signed up for the marathon on a whim in October and now I am having anxiety when I think of the details. I find myself wondering WTH was I thinking? FTR, I never do marathons this close together (Oct. 2016, Jan. 2017, April 2017--goal race is in April).

I also have anxiety of starting in the dark and running in the dark for so long. Assuming it is lit decently? I know around here, the runs I have done recently n the dark are slow because of the sidewalk cracks and potholes.

I have so many memorable races...

First marathon, The Flying Pig in 2001 (never in a million years would I have thought I could do a marathon.)
First time qualifying for Boston, Columbus Marathon in 2012 (smashed my PR by 35 minutes, especially since I went years without running because of rheumatoid arthritis.)
First Boston Marathon in 2014 (This was the year after the bombings--I had tears when it started and when I finished.)
Boston Marathon 2016- I ran my first sub 3 hour marathon (at the ripe old age of 41).

I seem to cry a lot at races, at least during the national anthem.

My favorite race happened when I was still in the Army, about 28 years ago. We were competing in what we called the "Winter Olympics". The entire Division was involved. I was on the 8 man team in the mile race. You had to run together, and the team's time was registered when the last man crossed the finish line. My team won that race with a team time under 5 minutes (I cannot remember the exact time). Not bad considering the fact that it took place during a huge snow storm.

I also have anxiety of starting in the dark and running in the dark for so long. Assuming it is lit decently? I know around here, the runs I have done recently n the dark are slow because of the sidewalk cracks and potholes.

It's reasonably lit. It isn't daylight bright, but it doesn't require any personal lighting device to be able to see. The road is also in decent shape so for the most part you can keep your eyes up without worrying about it. DO keep an eye out for the speed bumps at the entrance of Magic Kingdom (There are warning sounds and cast members too.). Animal Kingdom's paths are a little more "rough" with intentional pot-holes which I don't care for. But by then you'll likely be in the daylight.

It's reasonably lit. It isn't daylight bright, but it doesn't require any personal lighting device to be able to see. The road is also in decent shape so for the most part you can keep your eyes up without worrying about it. DO keep an eye out for the speed bumps at the entrance of Magic Kingdom (There are warning sounds and cast members too.). Animal Kingdom's paths are a little more "rough" with intentional pot-holes which I don't care for. But by then you'll likely be in the daylight.

Also be cautious of the plastic reflective lane markers (both for the yellow lines at the edges of the roadways & the little white ones between the white dash lines). I've nearly twisted an ankle on these during the crowded early portion of the races, and I've seen people trip over them numerous times.

Running down Main Street USA the first time in my first marathon. I had heard how incredible it is and it
lived up to expectations. Close second is running down Main Street USA with two of my kids during the half
the next year (2016). Hoping to talk one of them into it again so I can do Goofy 2018!

Good luck everyone running this year! I'm jealous!

Anyone know if we can run the 2016 Marathon course given the construction at Studios?

I guess no waivers yet : (
I keep checking and I've been stalking the USATF site looking for updated course certifications. But nothing's there either.

Looking for a little bit of reassurance here... the WDW marathon will be my first and I've been following the Galloway training plan but admittedly haven't had the best training cycle. I missed some runs in the beginning due to nagging injuries and had to switch some stuff around, but for the most part, the last month or two has been pretty solid. Normally I can straight run somewhere around 9:30-10:30 minute miles, but for this cycle I've been doing intervals to keep from getting injured and it seems to be helping but my pace is obviously slower.

Anyway, yesterday I did 18 miles at around a 12:00 min/mile avg pace. 9 were outside with my husband, then 9 on treadmill (split up as 5 and 4 with a break to stretch in between). I'm assuming it's normal to freak out and wonder how the heck you're going to be able to do a marathon at this point?? Two weeks ago we ran 16 miles at around 11:30 min/mile avg and in two weeks we have a 20 mile run planned and then that's it as far as really long runs. Is this really enough? I feel so overwhelmed and I can't shake the feeling that I've bitten off way more than I can chew.

I think that you got this. If you run 18 at a 12 minute pace you'll have built up over an hour cushion even if you start just in front of the balloon ladies. You could walk the rest of the race a 21 minute mile pace and be fine. If you are worried, just go out slower than you think you need to and take frequent walk breaks. The only caution I might have is " don't stand around a long time in any one picture line. I seen people in that pace range wait 30 minutes for a single character pic in magic kingdom. The time put them in jeopardy of being swept but the did find it hard to get started again after their muscles got cold. I've had other friends that haven't had issues with this though, so ymmv.

Finishing Expedition Everest Challenge with my son. At the time he was 10 and hadn't really run much. We wound up being one of the first teams finished and certainly one the of the earliest with a kids. We ran the last quarter mile or so completely by ourselves and as we rounded the corner the announcer said "Oh look we have a young explorer." I miss that race.

Sorry if this has been covered but a quick question...

Are there places to warm up before the marathon begins? I heard that the walk to corrals is long. Could I run to the corral or is it just too crowded? I usually do a 1-2 mile warm up with some strides thrown in.

As others have mentioned the walk to the corrals is really long and really crowded. You might be able to jog in the grass on the way out to the corrals but that could be hard. Once you get to the road where the corrals are you can run in the lanes that aren't being used for corrals. Just be careful you don't bump into someone running across the lanes to take advantage of the trees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter