Marathon avoidance

mtrib

Mouseketeer
Looking at possibly taking a few days after New Years with my son for some low crowd fun. Looks like Marathon is Jan 8-12. Better to do something like 5th-9th or 12th-15th?

Our January trip seems to coincide with the marathon every year and, I have to say, it's never a problem. Its only some very early morning road closure/traffic problems.

Its not a big deal at all in other words.

We'll be there for the half (hubby running it) and there are truly so many people there anyway, the marathon doesn't impact crowd level much. You won't notice it. It's just crowded like it always is. Post all the marathon weekends though....there is a significant drop in crowds.

Yes - other than the commute to the parks on that Sunday morning, the marathon doesn't really impact. Plan to sleep in that morning, or maybe do a nice ADR for breakfast at one of the resorts,

Last trip, we were on the MK bus for a reeeeeeeeeealy long time. Bad planning on my part, but it was the only breakfast ADR I could get for BOG (wasn't worth it) and FP for the Mine Train (was down for the morning!!!!).

Our first day is 1/12/20, which is the full marathon day. We want to do Star Wars at rope drop, then hop to MK. What is the order the runners go through the parks? We are going to drive from Saratoga Springs, because we have a wheelchair van and hope it will be faster with the traffic changes.

With the exception of the transportation issue before 11 am on the 12th - the marathon is a non-event for non-runners and their families. I personally prefer the time between Jan 1 and before the marathon over the time right after the marathon. I've had trips right before, fully overlapping, and starting on the last day - and the ONLY negative impact I've ever dealt with was the morning of the marathon itself - I waited a LONG time for a bus at my resort bus stop and the bus had some traffic delays getting to the park - it might have been an hour between arriving at the bus stop and arriving at the park. The biggest impact for me - the guilt I feel of not being athlete myself at all as everyone wears their medals to the parks and the runners are all happy after their races!

Our first day is 1/12/20, which is the full marathon day. We want to do Star Wars at rope drop, then hop to MK. What is the order the runners go through the parks? We are going to drive from Saratoga Springs, because we have a wheelchair van and hope it will be faster with the traffic changes.
Depending on what time you plan to get to DHS and the route you plan to take to MK, you might get into some traffic. Most runners will be out of the MK area by 9AM and will be headed to AK on Bear Island Rd.

I myself was wondering what to expect when I go on my trip, however it’s the Princess half marathon in my case. I’m arriving 2/22, was only planning on doing Disney Springs that evening, spending my birthday on 2/23 at MK, and as the week progresses go to the other parks, leaving 3/2. Now, Mardi Gras happens the week I am there, but crowd calendars I’ve looked at say that’s some of the lowest crowds of the year, so I’m a little unsure. With all this in mind, will I have any problems?

Stay away from Epcot until well after noon on Sunday. Took 45 min to get from UK to France across marathon traffic last Jan.

Thanks, guys! If we go starting the 12th I'll probably make that arrival day so no worried about crowded buses, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter