manatee swim

a jay

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever done this? If so would love to know the answers to the following questions.
1. What tour company did you book with?
2. Are these tours suitable all year round. We go in July and are keen to know if manatees stick to the same enviroment during the hot and humid months?
3. Did you opt to stay over the night before (if doing the early morning swim)
if so any hotel recommendations?
That's it really but if anyone has furthur advice the more the merrier

I am planning on doing this in September, although I am at the very early stages so someone else will probably be able to offer better advise.

We are looking at driving ourself in the morning and hiring a boat think it is going to cost roughly $40-$50 for 2 hours, you are then free to get out and swim with them if you spot them.

You can do tours which I have seen at around $15 each but I just fancied going alone.

I just googled "swim with manatee orlando" and it brought up so much info I am just trying to wade through it.

Thanks, i've seen a tour called "sunshine Tours" based at the Crystal River. This tour likes you to be on their boat all suited up by 7.00am (you have a better chance of seeing them earlier in the morning during the hotter months) I believe crystal river is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from where we are staying. I don't really fancy travelling on the morning of the swim so will probably look for a hotel/motel close to crystal river.

We did a tour with Virgin a couple of years ago. They still do something similar, its called swim where the manatees live (used to be called swim with the manatees - think they are covering their backs in case you dont see any manatees!!).

It was a wonderful day out (in crystal river i think). Breakfast and lunch were included, and a trip to Homosassa state wildlife park.
We were lucky enough to come across a mother and calf, and while the mother had a rest for about 30mins, the calf played with us all (6 people went in the water). It was amazing, the calf was so sweet and friendly (even though it was a baby, it was still about 5ft long). It would nuzzle right up to us, and try to nibble us. It was a wonderful experience.

S

Did you have an early start? Would be interested to know how long it took you get to crystal river from where you were staying. Also, what time of year you do this? from what i've read the manatees are less active in the summer months and we are going in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter