Major Disney refurb and construction completion dates worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey rteetz, as always thanks for your hard work. Really appreciate having this as a pinned thread for quick reference because for whatever reason I can never seem to hold all these dates in my head. Thanks!
That is the main reason I wanted this as a pinned thread. It seems many threads keep asking when is this opening. This thread will answer those questions.

The edison was originally announced to complete before end of 2016 (not sure if delays for permits delayed it).. and in those permits is the plans for the tunnel (forget the real name).

Edited to add: if you go back to the disney springs renaming ceremony, I think it mentions DS will be fully done with double the stores and dining).

I forget the planet hollywood refurb dates but that's most of this year.

The edison was originally announced to complete before end of 2016 (not sure if delays for permits delayed it).. and in those permits is the plans for the tunnel (forget the real name).

Edited to add: if you go back to the disney springs renaming ceremony, I think it mentions DS will be fully done with double the stores and dining).

I forget the planet hollywood refurb dates but that's most of this year.
I believe you mean 2015 but I believe they have been working on the tunnels first then recently moved back to the Edison.

Yes DTD had around 75 stores and restaurants now Disney Springs will have 150 stores and restaurants.

Planet Hollywood closed this past week and they are already demoing a good amount of it. That will be completed later this year.

Do you think that Rivers of Light/Tiffins/Night Safaris will open at once or staggered?

...I can't shake the feeling that much more should have been announced or even opened at downtown by now...

I'm not so sure. They seem to build a lot faster there, which is probably a factor of feeling it acceptable for construction to be more obstructive than in the parks. Also, a lot of that area is be being built to 3rd party timetables. Once a building is up, it's only a matter of weeks before a tenant can open the doors. Unless they're having trouble selling slots, I suspect things will move fairly briskly over the next eight months.

It would be interesting to have five sets of dates for each action to really track progress:

- Official Announcement Date
- Baseline Start Date (This is the originally announced construction start date and never changes.)
- Baseline Completion Date (Again, this never changes.)
- Current Start Date (Ideally, this would be the same as the Baseline, but likely this would "slip," perhaps many, many times.)
- Current Completion Date (Same)

I'm not suggesting you actually need to do this rteetz, I'm just being a project manager nerd.

I'm not so sure. They seem to build a lot faster there, which is probably a factor of feeling it acceptable for construction to be more obstructive than in the parks. Also, a lot of that area is be being built to 3rd party timetables. Once a building is up, it's only a matter of weeks before a tenant can open the doors. Unless they're having trouble selling slots, I suspect things will move fairly briskly over the next eight months.
Yes they recently filled the springs with clear water that looks great which would lead me to believe at least part of town center will be opening soon.

Great thread. I could take a trip with just that list when complete.

They should be opening some more doors around now...if it's really supposed to be complete by year's end...rounding for home should be where they're at.

They should be opening some more doors around now...if it's really supposed to be complete by year's end...rounding for home should be where they're at.

I think a lot will be open by the end of 2016, but I can't see it all being done. For example Walt's is just an empty piece of ground right now and they are still in the early permitting process.

I think a lot will be open by the end of 2016, but I can't see it all being done. For example Walt's is just an empty piece of ground right now and they are still in the early permitting process.

I agree...which means they're behind. I would have thought that the plan was to have it up and open by the holidays for 2016.

That's kinda unacceptable considering they shuttered PI in 2009, no?

I agree...which means they're behind. I would have thought that the plan was to have it up and open by the holidays for 2016.

I am curious what happened with The Edison/Walt's. Based on everything I have seen it looks like they had intended for this to get rolling a while back but something must have happened to de-rail it. I am glad to see that it's finally getting back on track. I am also wondering if they are having a harder time getting tenants then they originally expected.

Thanks for this! I'm still pretty new to everything Disney, so having a reference is really helpful for planning.

I am also wondering if they are having a harder time getting tenants then they originally expected.

Um...

Cause the consumer retail market is gonna collapse, hyper priced retail at Disney from regular Vendors is a tough sell, and the local market has no interest in this concept and that's a anchor to the whole idea since day one?

...off the top of my head...

When you announce and cancel projects and scratch your head for a few years this tends to be what happens

No doubt...but when you finally commit...plow ahead.

They're gonna have to prove to vendors that this will work...the only way to do that is get it open and establish a successful pattern. They may have to cut fees and rent to do that...gasp!!!!

But better than trying to sell
Smoke to recoup costs right now

PI Closed on September 30, 2008. This September it will have been 8 years. It's a huge part of the reason modern Disney World gets a bad rap for indecisiveness and construction times. If it pushes into 2017 it'll be larger than the time gap between Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!