Main Street Cinema Now A Store

JoanneAZ

DIS Veteran
It seems the Main Street Cinema is being turned into a retail location. The cartoons still play in the background but now there are tables and racks of merchandise inside (merchandise that can be found steps away at the Emporium or Disney Showcase). I wish the powers that be could understand the value of the quiet little out of the way places. They’re such a great way to take a little break without leaving the park. I’m still bitter over the loss of the Court des Anges in New Orleans Square.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...AKvZXM-LhHYeNESgwqnE-DPFZCwJvEOxDfLQfxZTdw&e=

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. I do not like that at all. Sad day.

As I’ve posted here before, my daughter has loved the “Mickey cartoons” since she could talk, to the point that we sometimes forgo rope drop for a stop in the Cinema.

This looks... not the same. There’s so much shopping on Main Street that this just doesn’t seem necessary at all.

I love the Main Street Cinema, but could go without people camping out in there for long periods of time. Last time we were in there, a gal was piled up in there with several belongings taking a quick snooze and it kind of put me off. In saying that, putting merchandise in there seems kind of silly to me and I hope its temporary.

I don't necessarily like it, but I do understand it. The cinema is practically a ghost town every time I've stopped by. It makes sense to replace an attraction that gets such little use. However, do I think they should replace it with shopping? No, that seems unnecessary since the cinema is surrounded by shops carrying the same items. It would be nice to see them replace it with a different type of attraction, or spruce it up somehow to entice people to come in.

That's horrible news. One of the very last vestiges of Walts persona reduced to cheap merchandising.
How money hungry are the powers in charge that they have to wring a buck out of every squeare inch of the parks? What's next? Walts apartment?
This smacks of disrespect and is the worst of taste.

They're killing DL for this family.

So very sad...this is such a special, quiet place to take in a little extra magic. I am grateful that I was able to share this with my three grandlittles and take photos while it was still the cinema during our last trip together last October. This has always been a special time to share with my family every trip we take to Disneyland...just sad

I love the Main Street Cinema, but could go without people camping out in there for long periods of time. Last time we were in there, a gal was piled up in there with several belongings taking a quick snooze and it kind of put me off. In saying that, putting merchandise in there seems kind of silly to me and I hope its temporary.
Just like the rest of you, I don't like this change -- but I agree that the "homeless" guest behavior in the Cinema, both teenagers and adults, was becoming a problem. Disney probably thought changing the Cinema into a shop was the easiest solution that didn't involve any enforcement or security chasing the sleepers/campers out of there. We've also seen out of control kids in there, e.g. kids running, yelling, and hitting, like the parents thought the Cinema was a sort of playground. Again, a shop makes that sort of thing more difficult and DL makes a profit. Win, win from management's view.

I've never done the Main street cinema...I need to put more effort into doing the "little" things before they all change it looks like :( Is there a specific theme for the merchandise they are selling in there?

That's horrible news. One of the very last vestiges of Walts persona reduced to cheap merchandising.
How money hungry are the powers in charge that they have to wring a buck out of every squeare inch of the parks? What's next? Walts apartment?
This smacks of disrespect and is the worst of taste.

They're killing DL for this family.
The last remnants of the old Republic have been swept away

Just like the rest of you, I don't like this change -- but I agree that the "homeless" guest behavior in the Cinema, both teenagers and adults, was becoming a problem. Disney probably thought changing the Cinema into a shop was the easiest solution that didn't involve any enforcement or security chasing the sleepers/campers out of there. We've also seen out of control kids in there, e.g. kids running, yelling, and hitting, like the parents thought the Cinema was a sort of playground. Again, a shop makes that sort of thing more difficult and DL makes a profit. Win, win from management's view.

Okay, so station a CM inside there to keep people in check. I mean, is that really so difficult?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!