Magical Express vs Limo

JennisDisneyMom

Earning My Ears
So prior ME we rented limo service from Mark Rojas (awesome guy...he still around?). Anyway, when ME started we used that service...but the past few times we have had issues of an hour wait for a bus. :(. Not fun with an excited 3 yr old.
My question is: If we get to ME and its an hour wait, can we go obtain other tansportation to the resort and our luggage still arrive via ME? Or do you actually have to board the ME for your luggage to arrive at the hotel?

So prior ME we rented limo service from Mark Rojas (awesome guy...he still around?). Anyway, when ME started we used that service...but the past few times we have had issues of an hour wait for a bus. :(. Not fun with an excited 3 yr old.
My question is: If we get to ME and its an hour wait, can we go obtain other tansportation to the resort and our luggage still arrive via ME? Or do you actually have to board the ME for your luggage to arrive at the hotel?

The other issue is that there's no way to really know if there's going to be a wait for the DME bus or not until you actually wait; after which time it's too late to do anything about it.

While there always are exceptions, DME generally will get you to your resort within 60-90 minutes of when you get off of the plane IF you use the DME luggage transfer service or have only carry-on bags.

In general, a limo/car service will get you to your resort within 60-75 minutes from when you get off of the plane if you have to collect bags. Take 20 minutes or so off that time if you have only carry-on bags.

Disney doesn't have guards forcing you to board a bus. Get to the DME area and it looks like you'll have a long wait you could take a taxi. Of course a long line doesn't necessarily mean a long wait.

I've taken DME dozens of times during the busiest times of the year and never waited even close to an hour for a bus. Longest I've waited for a bus was maybe 20 minutes. Was there a reason for the long delay?

we have never waited an hour, ever...wonder what was going on.....that would annoy me too actually...

you can do Mears or a taxi or Limo, but if $ is an issue you may have to bite the bullet and use DME, hope its not a long wait for you'all

We have used DME at least 4x a year for the past few years and it has never been more than 70 ish minutes from landing to arrvial at the resort. Sometimes it "feels" like forever in the line but I have made a point to time it a few times and its sometimes quicker but never more than 70.

On the other hand, IME when we stay at the Dolpin a town car can take as long or longer. After waiting on checked bags its around 60-70 minutes to the resort and costs $100 + round trip.

If you do end up in the actual DME bus line for more than say 30/40 minutes I would alert the CM and try and get a bus rather than spend the $$ for a Town Car or Cab.

It's happened the past 2 times. We are thinking its becoming too popular!

Small sample size.

I've waited two hours for bags to get to the carousel and arrived at a rental car counter and been told there were no cars. I wouldn't take either to be the norm.

We use a private town car. We were checked into our resort one hour after touching down. We collected our bags but once we were downstairs, our driver took them and we didn't touch them again until we arrived in our room where they were delivered. It's more expensive but for us, it's worth it. I will also add that when we arrive at Orlando, we have been in transit for 26 hours! We aren't waiting for a bus! :)

We use a private town car. We were checked into our resort one hour after touching down. We collected our bags but once we were downstairs, our driver took them and we didn't touch them again until we arrived in our room where they were delivered. It's more expensive but for us, it's worth it.

Us, too. Of course we add 30 minutes for the grocery stop. DH demands not having to wait to get to WDW--poor guy just can't take it. :thumbsup2

Here are my times using various modes of transportation to WDW...from gate to resort (notice I don't say touchdown....that can throw timing way off, so most of us use the gate to resort system)

towncar, carryon only......45 mins
towncar, checked bags.....60 mins
DME......average 80 mins..once as short as 55 mins, once as long as 90 mins, but most are within the 65-80 min range.
Mears shuttle, carryon only.....80 mins

A car service will get you to your resort possibly 30 mins faster than DME. I have times when it took me well over an hour using a car service because we had to go in search of the driver!!!! It was about the same time DME would have taken. Ah well.

A two hour wait for the bus is extremely uncommon. Most of the time, the wait is well under 30 mins.

As to whether or not your bags will get to the resort if you don't ride on the bus? There is a thread that deals with that subject. It will not be discussed here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter