Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I guess I read your first sentence "I look at it that visitors should be encouraged to use more carbon efficient transport..." as you saying Disney stopping ME was somehow to encourage ppl. to use more carbon efficient transport?? So I guess, were you just saying that your opinion is that ppl. should be encouraged to use more carbon efficient transport by Disney's decision to discontinue ME???

What do you think would be those more carbon efficient transport options for visitors flying into MCO? ...
I'm definitely more ignorant in this area and the only thing I could think of is if rental companies had electric cars to rent ...are there other options?

Hybrid buses.

Hybrid buses.
Learn something every day :) I had no idea there were hybrid buses. Do they offer them at MCO- Disney property? - Happen to know the cost? With ME ending; if it's possible this would certainly be something we'd consider. I tried googling it, but didn't have much luck.

Does it really surprise you that things are being stripped, Disney is the master of the bait and switch, Look at the DVC at GF they did not even care enough to match the exterior style and architectural details of the main hotel and that would not have been a budget buster, Hey it's red and white good enough for the tourists. In this case Disney owns the IP so why do they insist in doing it in cheap chinese knockoff manner.
In what world is this a bait and switch? They announced the removal of DME in such a timeframe that people wouldn't be able to book a vacation before the news came out that DME wasn't going to be offered anymore.

In what world is this a bait and switch? They announced the removal of DME in such a timeframe that people wouldn't be able to book a vacation before the news came out that DME wasn't going to be offered anymore.
Yup, I agree. They didn't spring this on anyone. I'm still really sad about this news, but I can't say they didn't give us a lot of warning!

That's something that I feel isn't emphasized enough when talking about the luggage service and DME itself: No other resorts in the area added such services. Folks using online travel auction websites could use that fact to specifically search for Disney's own resorts using the amenities filter. If no other resorts added these services, it seems reasonable to expect that they didn't see having them as advantages, and if they didn't see them as advantages then it makes sense that Disney didn't (anymore) either.

I agree that the only way that Disney would change course would be if they started seeing impacts to reservations or spending. Reservations would probably be more likely to have an impact. That said, Disney doesn't sell "magic". They sell theme parks, food, merchandise and hotel rooms. They do pretty much all of those things really well. They've kept raising prices over the last decade and attendance kept going up and up. If their attendance starts to drop, you'll see prices go down.

In reality, most of us won't like this change but we'll still go, so what lesson is Disney learning?
They don't sell the magic, but they do advertise discover the magic, which implies it's there to find.

I have to stay with the end of Magical Express it will make me think of staying at Swan and Dolphin more than ever. Lower cost, still walking access to HS and Epcot, they offer a bus option to MK/AK, earn points. not much of a loss really if I have to pay for transport to and from WDW and don't have my bags shipped to the hotel.
As a DVC owner I won't stop going, but whatever I have to pay to get to my resort, will come out of my souvenir budget, simple as that.

Very similar

‐------------
Keith Secord (Disney)
Jan 20, 2021, 12:53 PM EST
Dear Cherished Guest,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort with your concerns regarding the pending discontinuation of the Disney's Magical Express service in 2022. Many Guests, like you have said, have mentioned the feeling that the magic begins once they step on the Disney's Magical Express bus with Mickey Mouse on it.

We do understand the disappointment the discontinuation of Disney's Magical Express in 2022 will cause our Guests and their families and the changes they will need to make in their vacation plans. Our Guests have far more options for transportation to our Resort from Orlando International Airport compared to when Disney's Magical Express service was introduced more than 15 years ago. As these alternative options have become more popular for our visiting Guests, they have added more flexibility and time savings to their trips.

The Walt Disney Company is constantly reevaluating the changing tourism market and trends in how, when, and how often our Guests utilize our various services. As Walt himself said, "We keep moving forward—opening up new doors and doing new things—because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." I am sorry for any disappointment this change will cause to you and your family. Please know I will pass along this feedback to the appropriate teams as we continue to explore new ways for Guests to enjoy their visits in the future.

I am again very sorry to hear about your disappointment, but please rest assured that your voice will be heard and your concerns will be sent to the appropriate areas. I send my best wishes for a magical day.

Kindest regards,

Keith Secord
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
Let me keep this clean

HORSE MANURE

Learn something every day :) I had no idea there were hybrid buses. Do they offer them at MCO- Disney property? - Happen to know the cost? With ME ending; if it's possible this would certainly be something we'd consider. I tried googling it, but didn't have much luck.

It's been a few years since I retired, but there were/are a few companies that we were delving into it at our conventions. Altairnano/Proterra were a big one and a few Chinese companies were present. I know the team at Proterra pretty well (https://www.proterra.com/)

The issue is the same in Florida; heat rejection and cycling. I am not sure, but I would be subjecting the cell package to match the voltage string and the average/lowest/highest ambient temperatures, in our labs, to see the effects.

Part 2 of your question is difficult; the break even analysis. I/we would have to calculate the $/kWhr expensed over the life cycle of the pack(s). Of course, I could manipulate the data to show our solution was the most cost effective. :poop:

Winner - This is my point exactly it was PROMOTED as a totally immersive land with roaming droids, drones and characters. Sort of like Star Wars Weekend - but ALL THE TIME. Instead you have a wasteland, and unlike anywhere else in the park no music or sound effects. Not my idea of being transported elsewhere.
So it sounds like you are unwilling to give any sort of benefit of the doubt due to covid. I haven't been to HS since Galaxy's Edge opened (we are going in April), but I do know people who went prior to the covid shutdown and they said it was a pretty immersive experience with roaming characters. They loved it. You can't judge things during covid, IMO.

I Meant they could be on the streets, and the characters have never been there to the extent promised, including like interactive droids etc.
So on one hand you are saying that covid isn't an excuse, but then you are ripping them for things that are covid related. WDW is operating at reduced capacity, which includes the amount of characters able to be on site and the number of guests allowed in the park. This is all to maximize social distancing. All because of covid. Disney is doing what it has to do to keep distanced...yet you want them to add in characters to reduce that distancing? Imagine if they put a bunch of characters on the streets, like you say. Guests would be going right up to those characters...the guests wouldn't care about social distancing or they would forget about it. That's not fair for both the characters and guests. I am reserving judgement on GE until restrictions are lifted and things are back to "normal".

I saw a couple TAs mention elsewhere that ridership on DME had been declining steadily even before COVID. With all of the horror stories I've seen over the past few years about being stuck waiting for buses and stopping at multiple resorts, it's certainly possible that a significant number of people had just decided to use a different means to get to property.
I agree. I have read so many stories on here about how bad the DME is. Long waits at the airport, stopping at multiple resorts before yours, loud, etc. This thread is obviously dominated by those who enjoyed DME, but the reality is that there are also a large number of people who didn't like it.

Travel isn't going to magically bounce back in 2022. It'll be a slow climb back and the pandemic may alter how a lot of people travel for the rest of their lives. People will also be dealing with economic issues after the pandemic is long gone. It's not going to be like flipping a switch back to what it was in 2019.
Bingo. Many estimates are that travel won't really pick up until 2023, especially international travel. Just because people get vaccinated doesn't mean they will immediately start traveling. There will be apprehension about traveling and being around crowds.

But do they expect to never get back to normal? What happens when travel is booming again....God willing.
Then people will find alternatives to get to/from the airport. For example, we are going in may and booked a round trip private van service for $140. There are 6 of us, so that is less than $25 per person round trip. No waiting for a bus in a crowd of people, no stopping at several resorts before ours. Just the six of us in our "own" van going straight to our resort. I prefer that to DME.

Funny that when you book DME online you get a confirmation email stating "We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests for Disney’s Magical Express®. Requests are processed by reservation arrival date. If your request is for future travel, please be aware there will be a delay with receiving a confirmation of your reservation, but our team will process your request before your reservation arrival date. We appreciate your patience!"

Yet lack of demand also calls for the service to cease to exist?
There are factors that would lead to that. WDW capacity limits are going up, which means more people will be traveling to WDW...especially outside of the winter "off season". And the DME is only filling the busses half full, utilizing every other row. This means there will be an artificial increase in "demand"...more people coming but less seats. There also may be travelers who are booking DME to try it before it goes away (I personally know someone who did just that). We are going in April and actually cancelled our DME service in lieu of a private van service.

Also, did Disney ever say they are cancelling DME because of "lack of demand"? I thought their statement focused more on the fact that visitors are utilizing other travel options, such as ride sharing.

So it sounds like you are unwilling to give any sort of benefit of the doubt due to covid. I haven't been to HS since Galaxy's Edge opened (we are going in April), but I do know people who went prior to the covid shutdown and they said it was a pretty immersive experience with roaming characters. They loved it. You can't judge things during covid, IMO.
Generally, I agree that COVID has negatively impacted Disney's ability to offer and some things can't be judged, and (hopefully) stuff will come back and new stuff will continue to be offered. But it seems there was significant cost-cutting even before COVID that reduced guest experience. Galaxy's Edge looks like it has stages, etc built for more immersive activities, but didn't come to fruition.

We've been to the land before and after the pandemic. Before there were roaming characters (and now they still appear but socially distanced where crowds can't be near them which is fine and still fun). And look at what happened with EPCOT prior to the pandemic. British Revolution and many other great acts in the World Showcase were cut. What good reason was there to reduce entertainment pre-COVID other than to cut costs?

I think you'll still love Galaxy's Edge! We do :). It would be cool to see some of the other things it seems the land was built to support. Maybe it will still come who knows?

Not to digress too far off-topic -

I don't know if people overall liked or hated DMC but I first rode it in 2019 and think it's great. Will totally miss it! (and will take fewer trips alone with either of my DDs when DH can't go. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter