Magical Express and checking out

Feberin

DIS Veteran
My Dad is flying but the rest of us are driving. He will be leaving for his flight at like 5 in the morning. Will that check out the room? He's the only adult listed but I would go over and sleep there with my two kids who are staying with him. We're hoping for adjoining rooms but obviously it's not guaranteed. Do I need to change things so I'm officially staying in the room? We're driving home and will probably be checking out much later that day.

I'm not sure it would be an issue, but just in case I would add your name to the reservation and leave your husband's name on the 2nd room's reservation. You could also speak to the front desk the night before but that information might get lost at the "shift change".

My Dad is flying but the rest of us are driving. He will be leaving for his flight at like 5 in the morning. Will that check out the room? He's the only adult listed but I would go over and sleep there with my two kids who are staying with him. We're hoping for adjoining rooms but obviously it's not guaranteed. Do I need to change things so I'm officially staying in the room? We're driving home and will probably be checking out much later that day.
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I doubt getting on the bus would "check out" the room. He just shouldn't stop by the front desk. He leaves his keys in the room and you turn them in when you leave.

I'm not sure it would be an issue, but just in case I would add your name to the reservation and leave your husband's name on the 2nd room's reservation. You could also speak to the front desk the night before but that information might get lost at the "shift change".

Can you add a name to just one night? We have different amounts of tickets since my dad is watching the kids. I got the direct number for Pop so I think I'm just going to have to call them. Alternatively I might just move everyone into one room that last night.

DH cannot check out because that will release the room for Mousekeepers to come in and clean up while some of your kids are still sleeping there. Your kids have until ca. 11 AM to leave. They can't move to your room the previous night because you and all of the kids are too many people and someone will have to sleep on the floor.

DH should give you the key and then disappear on his own. You will have to orchestrate that move.

Then you check out both rooms a few hours later after every one is up and finished in-room breakfast cereal and ready to go.

Last edited:

They can't move to your room the previous night because you and all of the kids are too many people and someone will have to sleep on the floor.
I'm curious how you know this. OP says nothing about what resort, how many people are staying in the room, and what kind of room they have. Three people (OP & two kids) can definitely sleep in one room without having to put someone on the floor (unless there's just one double bed).

I'm curious how you know this. OP says nothing about what
The OP did not say otherwise.

Nothing would be gained by having all the kids move to the other room because DH could not check out the previous day and also take Magical Express on the originally intended next morning.

Last edited:
The OP did not say otherwise.

Nothing would be gained by having all the kids move to the other room because DH could not check out the previous day and also take Magical Express on the originally intended next morning.
Why do you make things so complicated? While it's possible there's no room for two additional kids in the OP's room, that's not a fact, which is what you posted. You made an assumption.

And no one said anything about "what could be gained". Actually, what could be gained is peace of mind... kids move back in with the OP for the last night, her DAD (not DH), stays in his room, then checks out when it's time to get on the bus. No, doesn't change anything financially, but then the kids (and we don't know how old they are) are in a room with an adult for the last night, and therefore when they get up the last morning.

Note: I'm not saying the kids should move in with the OP. I stand by my original suggestion, the dad gets on the bus at his scheduled time, and he should NOT "check out" before doing so. Whether the OP moves into her dad's room the night before or when he has to leave to get on the bus, or stays in her room (depending on the ages of the kids) is really immaterial.

My husband and I have four kids 2, 4, 7 and 10 when we go. My Dad and the oldest two are on one room and my husband, younger two and me in the other. We have a package so that's why it might be too complicated to just put me on the other room. My kids have slept three to a bed before if it's necessary. Unless we have adjoining rooms I wouldn't have my kids in the room alone.

@Feberin I think after you've checked in, you've fulfilled the obligations of the package, so they might be able to list you on both rooms. Or switch you over to your dad's room beforehand? I don't think that would change things too much but that would involve a phone call.

I really don't think a DME departure triggers anything, because people do miss their DME reservations or change plans at the last minute. The worst that would happen is mousekeeping tries to clean and they see there are people still there.

@Feberin I think after you've checked in, you've fulfilled the obligations of the package, so they might be able to list you on both rooms. Or switch you over to your dad's room beforehand? I don't think that would change things too much but that would involve a phone call.

I really don't think a DME departure triggers anything, because people do miss their DME reservations or change plans at the last minute. The worst that would happen is mousekeeping tries to clean and they see there are people still there.

But housekeeping will probably be knocking very early as you are supposed to be out of the room by 11 am. The OP says they won't be leaving for home until much later in the day. Hopefully they realize they may well be roomless for most of the day.

Thank you! As long as it doesn't trigger anything we should be good. I'm planning to call but just haven't gotten a chance.

But housekeeping will probably be knocking very early as you are supposed to be out of the room by 11 am. The OP says they won't be leaving for home until much later in the day. Hopefully they realize they may well be roomless for most of the day.

We'll probably be out around 10. That's much later than 5.

My husband and I have four kids 2, 4, 7 and 10 when we go. My Dad and the oldest two are on one room and my husband, younger two and me in the other. We have a package so that's why it might be too complicated to just put me on the other room. My kids have slept three to a bed before if it's necessary. Unless we have adjoining rooms I wouldn't have my kids in the room alone.

Do both rooms have packages? Or just your room? If your dad's room is a room-only, you can add yourself to the room now. If they are both packages, you will need to wait until you check-in to add you to the room. He can do this on the day you want to sleep there - just go to the front desk and have them add you to the room for one night.

Hmmmm ... Would it really matter if you slept in the other room without telling anyone? You are not exceeding room capacity. I am sure that is not unusual for families booking multiple rooms to have family members switching back and forth.

If you had connecting rooms there would be no questions asked regarding who slept where.

Hmmmm ... Would it really matter if you slept in the other room without telling anyone? You are not exceeding room capacity. I am sure that is not unusual for families booking multiple rooms to have family members switching back and forth.

If you had connecting rooms there would be no questions asked regarding who slept where.
No. Who cares where people sleep

Do both rooms have packages? Or just your room? If your dad's room is a room-only, you can add yourself to the room now. If they are both packages, you will need to wait until you check-in to add you to the room. He can do this on the day you want to sleep there - just go to the front desk and have them add you to the room for one night.
Lol. Leave it alone. No harm no fowl
Just don't leave the kids alone without an adult in the room

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter