Magical EBTA 2017

Hello Fellow Cruisers!
I’m really excited to see so much interest in starting a Fish Extender Exchange for our cruise! For anyone who may be new to Fish Extender Exchanges, here's my best explanation:

Beside every cabin door is a large silver fish with an indentation in the back (mail slot) for cruise personnel to leave information, invitations, etc. DISboarders have taken the silver fish one step further... by creating hanging pockets (much like cloth letter holders) to hang from the fish - thus the name, "Fish Extender". Fish Extenders (FEs) can be made of practically anything (cloth, plastic, paper gift bags, etc.), as long as they have at least one pocket that can hold surprises. My first FE was just a medium-sized canvas bag purchased from a local craft store. A Google Image search of “fish extenders” will show dozens of unique styles!

Each "Cruise Meets" thread organizes their own little gift exchange. Some exchanges are set up with a lot of requirements, but I like to make it as easy and fun as possible. I always leave it up to the giver to decide what to give and when to pass it out during the cruise. Some people decide to give one surprise per family, some people like to give a little gift to each person in the cabin.

There are several DIS Boards threads that discuss ideas for FE gifts. Some gifts are from Dollar Stores, some are handmade, and some are bought in bulk from websites that sell trinkets like the Oriental Trading Company. Often, they are stickers, candy, glow sticks, lanyards, luggage tags, magnets, mugs, frames, etc., with themes such as pirates, beach, cruise, tropical, hometown, holiday, etc. The main idea is just to have fun finding little goodies in your FE throughout the cruise. Kids LOVE running back to their cabin to see if anything's been left in their FE. As an adult, I have to admit that I really love it, too!!!

I want everyone to feel comfortable with the number of cabins you’ll be exchanging with. I’ve participated in exchanges that had only 4 cabins participating on a 3-night cruise, all the way up to over 80 participating cabins on the longer cruises! Currently, it looks like there are 7 cruisers who want to join in on the fun and I expect that number will grow quite a bit! So, I’ll break the groups down to a choice of 10 in your FE group, 20 in your FE group, or “Sky’s the Limit” for those of us who believe the more the merrier!

The deadline to join this Fish Extender Exchange will be Saturday, April 15, 2017, to give everyone time to get their FE gifts prepared and packed. I will send all participants a Private Message (PM) through the DIS Boards on Sunday, May 16, with your FE group information. You'll need to print that final list of participants and pack it with your gifts so you'll know where to deliver them once you're onboard the ship.

To join the FE Exchange, please send me (Deb T.) a “Private Message” with the following information:
*Your Cabin Number
*Names of everyone in your cabin
*Ages of children
*Any allergy considerations
*The size of the FE group you want to be in: “No more than 10,” “No more than 20,” or “Sky’s the Limit.”

To send me a “Private Message”, click on my name (Deb T.) in the little box on the top left
Click on “Start a Conversation”
Enter a “Conversation Title”
Under the row of icons, type your message
To send, Click “Start a Conversation” under your message

(FYI: If you are new to the DIS Boards, you will need to have made at least ten posts on DIS Forums before you can send a Private Message.)

Can't wait for our cruise!!!! :boat:
Does each person in a cabin participate alone or does the whole cabin work together? (For example, there are 4 of us. Would we get a group of 10 cabins and give to everyone in the cabin or would, my daughter, son, my mom and I each get our own group that will have 10 folks in it?)

We are interested, too.

Updating interest list in local Candy/Snack exchange

Mommatothebear
SwingDancingAnn
Pawdoc
KJET54
Expedition EverestI
Poookie
Deb T
scottrob
bobbiwoz
tmullem93
cali cruiser
Maple Det
Shawnadb
Tinked

Does each person in a cabin participate alone or does the whole cabin work together? (For example, there are 4 of us. Would we get a group of 10 cabins and give to everyone in the cabin or would, my daughter, son, my mom and I each get our own group that will have 10 folks in it?)

Hi Mommatothebear and welcome! :)

Usually, each cabin is assigned to exchange with 10 (or 20, or "Sky's the Limit") cabins. It is up to each giving cabin whether they want to give one surprise to each of the other cabins they are assigned to exchange with, or if they want to give one surprise to each person in each of the other cabins they are assigned to exchange with. In turn, your cabin would receive surprises from each of the other cabins you are assigned to exchange with (and it would be up to each of those cabins whether they are giving one surprise per cabin or one surprise for each individual in the cabins). That means you and your Mom would have to split up the loot, per se.

Occasionally, when more than one "family" is sharing a cabin (for example, two friends sailing together, or multi-generations in a cabin (like yours), they will request to be treated as two separate FE sign-ups so that they can receive two sets of surprises. If you decide to do that, you and your children would give out surprises to the 10 cabins you are assigned to. Additionally, your Mom would give out her own surprises to the 10 cabins she is assigned to.

I hope this explanation makes sense! I'm always more than willing to accommodate everyone's preferences. :)

Hi Everyone!

Here is an update to our Fish Extender Exchange:

Currently, there are 8 cabins that are officially signed up (have contacted me with names, ages, cabin number, allergy considerations, and size of exchange they want to participate with):
Deb T.
Giggles6311
ImNarek
Maple Det
Mvlimmex
Nutrigirl
Pawdoc Daisy
Shawnadb

There are 9 cabins who have expressed interested in participating but have not officially signed up yet:
Dismama2
tmullen93
CowboyKell
sourmug
Poookie
cali cruiser
SwingDancingAnn
Lonnstar
Mommatothebear

The deadline to join this Fish Extender Exchange will be Saturday, April 15, 2017 to give everyone time to get their FE gifts prepared and packed. I will send all participants a Private Message (PM) through the DIS Boards on Sunday, April 16, with your FE group information. You'll need to print that final list of participants and pack it with your gifts so you'll know where to deliver them once you're onboard the ship.

To join the FE Exchange, please send me (Deb T.) a “Private Message” with the following information:
*Your Cabin Number
*Names of everyone in your cabin
*Ages of children
*Any allergy considerations
*The size of the FE group you want to be in: “No more than 10,” “No more than 20,” or “Sky’s the Limit.”

Here's my best explanation of a Fish Extender Exchange:
Beside every cabin door is a large silver fish with an indentation in the back (mail slot) for cruise personnel to leave information, invitations, etc. DISboarders have taken the silver fish one step further... by creating hanging pockets (much like cloth letter holders) to hang from the fish - thus the name, "Fish Extender". Fish Extenders (FEs) can be made of practically anything (cloth, plastic, paper gift bags, etc.), as long as they have at least one pocket that can hold surprises. My first FE was just a medium-sized canvas bag purchased from a local craft store. A Google Image search of “fish extenders” will show dozens of unique styles!

Each "Cruise Meets" thread organizes their own little gift exchange. Some exchanges are set up with a lot of requirements, but I like to make it as easy and fun as possible. I always leave it up to the giver to decide what to give and when to pass it out during the cruise. Some people decide to give one surprise per family, some people like to give a little gift to each person in the cabin.

There are several DIS Boards threads that discuss ideas for FE gifts. Some gifts are from Dollar Stores, some are handmade, and some are bought in bulk from websites that sell trinkets like the Oriental Trading Company. Often, they are stickers, candy, glow sticks, lanyards, luggage tags, magnets, mugs, frames, etc., with themes such as pirates, beach, cruise, tropical, hometown, holiday, etc. The main idea is just to have fun finding little goodies in your FE throughout the cruise. Kids LOVE running back to their cabin to see if anything's been left in their FE. As an adult, I have to admit that I really love it, too!!!

I want everyone to feel comfortable with the number of cabins you’ll be exchanging with. I’ve participated in exchanges that had only 4 cabins participating on a 3-night cruise, all the way up to over 80 participating cabins on the longer cruises! Currently, it looks like there are 7 cruisers who want to join in on the fun and I expect that number will grow quite a bit! So, I’ll break the groups down to a choice of 10 in your FE group, 20 in your FE group, or “Sky’s the Limit” for those of us who believe the more the merrier!

To send me a “Private Message”
Click on my name (Deb T.) in the little box on the top left
Click on “Start a Conversation”
Enter a “Conversation Title”
Under the row of icons, type your message
To send, Click “Start a Conversation” under your message

(FYI: If you are new to the DIS Boards, you will need to have made at least ten posts on DIS Forums before you can send a Private Message.)

Hello Fellow Ship Mates!!!

My name is Courtney and my family and I are so excited to be joining you all on this cruise! This will be our very first Disney cruise and we couldn't be more excited! (Actually our kids don't know yet but I am guessing it is going to be a great surprise!). Joining me will be my husband Tom and our three kids...Emma(10), Brody(8), and Cade (4).

Being that this is our first Disney cruise, I feel like I have a million questions. For those that have done a transatlantic cruise before, how long does it stay warm for as you cross? I am trying to think through packing. Any suggestions?

We would love to be a part of the fish extender group. I have to admit that I had never heard of it but it sounds like so much fun! Once I get enough posts I will PM you our info.

Counting down the days!!!

My name is Courtney and my family and I are so excited to be joining you all on this cruise! This will be our very first Disney cruise and we couldn't be more excited! (Actually our kids don't know yet but I am guessing it is going to be a great surprise!). Joining me will be my husband Tom and our three kids...Emma(10), Brody(8), and Cade (4).

Being that this is our first Disney cruise, I feel like I have a million questions. For those that have done a transatlantic cruise before, how long does it stay warm for as you cross? I am trying to think through packing. Any suggestions?

We would love to be a part of the fish extender group. I have to admit that I had never heard of it but it sounds like so much fun! Once I get enough posts I will PM you our info.

Welcome Courtney!:welcome:

Welcome, Courtney! Yay for your family's first Disney cruise! We love cruising on Disney and hope you all will, too! Let's get your post count up so you can join in on the fun of a Fish Extender Exchange! :) What other questions do you have about cruising on Disney?

This will be our first trans-Atlantic cruise, so I am also curious to how long the weather will stay warm during the crossing. I can tell you that it is very windy on the upper decks (not the pool deck) while the ship is moving. The theaters and the dining rooms tend to be chilly due to the air-conditioning.

Welcome, Courtney! Yay for your family's first Disney cruise! We love cruising on Disney and hope you all will, too! Let's get your post count up so you can join in on the fun of a Fish Extender Exchange! :) What other questions do you have about cruising on Disney?

This will be our first trans-Atlantic cruise, so I am also curious to how long the weather will stay warm during the crossing. I can tell you that it is very windy on the upper decks (not the pool deck) while the ship is moving. The theaters and the dining rooms tend to be chilly due to the air-conditioning.

Thank you so much!! My next question is regarding theme nights. Will we have any on our trip if so, when do we find out what they are?

Thank you so much!! My next question is regarding theme nights. Will we have any on our trip if so, when do we find out what they are?

Here are my best guesses (so far) on theme nights, based on previous cruises:
Day 2, May 14, should be formal night
Day 9, May 21, should be semi-formal night
Day 14, May 26, should be another formal night

I also predict there will be a Frozen night based on our 2015 Baltic cruise. On that cruise, we did not have a Pirate night (but I'm hoping for one since this cruise is 3 nights longer).

I think the soonest we'll know for sure will be when we receive our "cruise documents" booklet.

Last edited:
Here are my best guesses (so far) on theme nights, based on previous cruises:
Day 2, May 14, should be formal night
Day 9, May 21, should be semi-formal night
Day 14, May 26, should be another formal night

I also predict there will be a Frozen night and a Pirate night.

I think the soonest we'll know for sure will be when we receive our "cruise documents" booklet.

You are awesome! Thank you for sharing this!

Booking opened last night for port adventures and palo for platinum guests. There were some additions to the port adventures for the new ports, some reductions in Copenhagen offerings.

I booked Palo shortly after midnight and the availability for dinner was limited on sea days. We were able to book both brunch and dinner and the one shore excursion we wanted.

I booked Palo shortly after midnight and the availability for dinner was limited on sea days. We were able to book both brunch and dinner and the one shore excursion we wanted.

I was only looking to book brunch, so I didn't even check dinner availability. I booked an excursion for Amsterdam, but am still undecided on the rest of the ports.

We booked Palo dinner and will look at the shore excursions later today.

Heads up, some of the shore excursions listed when the lists first came out a couple of weeks ago are no longer on there. Of course those were the ones I wanted:)

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter