Magic Kingdom closed

I think all “sides” are correct here. Disney can probably charge; the credit card company may take the customer’s side in a dispute; Disney is unlikely to charge you in the first place.

Instead of all this speculation why dont we all wait until someone who had and ADR and could not get into the park and see what their experience was.

We could be waiting years......there hasn't been a phase 4 closing since April 2009.

Which I think was before there was a cancellation fee for ADRs, no?

EDIT: Just googled. Yes, cancellation fees started in 2011.
Which is also before New Fantasy Land added about 20% more capacity to the park. This is all just a theoretical argument.

I agree that Disney would never let it get to that point, they would waive the fee before you dispute it. However, assuming that you call Disney and they were unwilling to resolve it, you would have a valid dispute case with the four major credit card networks for services not rendered. In this case Disney is unable to provide the service that you paid for, so you would have a valid credit card dispute...assuming that your bank doesn't just credit you outright. The expectation would be that you call Disney first in an attempt to resolve it first.

Actually Disney could provide the service you paid for. You didn't get there to take advantage of that service. That is on the guest, not on Disney.

But yeah, we are unlikely to know for sure what would happen because a closure of that type is unlikely. But the terms of the arrangement are clear. You no show you pay a fee. Disney can choose to waive that fee if they wish.

I apologize for my question causing this discussion. :-)

For what it’s worth, MK didn’t seem that crowded yesterday and we made our adr and dessert party.

So no worries! :-)

How does one learn of the closure? Do you get to MK and the sign is posted? Does it appear as a pop up on the MDE app?

How does one learn of the closure? Do you get to MK and the sign is posted? Does it appear as a pop up on the MDE app?
At some point, they’d stop running buses to the park. The parking lot would have closed long before that. So, you’d know long before you got to the front gate.

As mentioned, something did pop up in MDE, but it isn’t specific about the level of closure.

At some point, they’d stop running buses to the park. The parking lot would have closed long before that. So, you’d know long before you got to the front gate.

As mentioned, something did pop up in MDE, but it isn’t specific about the level of closure.
And of course it'd appear on the electronic sign that says "all parks open"

Actually Disney could provide the service you paid for. You didn't get there to take advantage of that service. That is on the guest, not on Disney.

But yeah, we are unlikely to know for sure what would happen because a closure of that type is unlikely. But the terms of the arrangement are clear. You no show you pay a fee. Disney can choose to waive that fee if they wish.

I agree this scenario requires two unlikely circumstances occurring 1. A Phase 4 Closure 2. Disney not taking into account an extenuating circumstance for their customer. However, as someone who works with credit card disputes, I just wanted to point out that you would have a very strong case for reimbursement through the dispute process. In this case you made a reservation for an activity on a specific time and date, if Disney closes you out and denies you access due to capacity in the eyes of the credit card company they are unable or unwilling to render services. The fact that you could have entered the park earlier is a non factor to the process because you and Disney agreed to a reservation for that specific time and date, which they were unable to fulfill for you at that time. You would just need to make sure to have documentation showing that they denied you access (e.g. a screenshot of MDE advising the Phase 4 closure). I would also point out that this could also be applied to a similar dispute with another merchant where you are denied entry for an agreed upon service like a concert.

I agree this scenario requires two unlikely circumstances occurring 1. A Phase 4 Closure 2. Disney not taking into account an extenuating circumstance for their customer. However, as someone who works with credit card disputes, I just wanted to point out that you would have a very strong case for reimbursement through the dispute process. In this case you made a reservation for an activity on a specific time and date, if Disney closes you out and denies you access due to capacity in the eyes of the credit card company they are unable or unwilling to render services. The fact that you could have entered the park earlier is a non factor to the process because you and Disney agreed to a reservation for that specific time and date, which they were unable to fulfill for you at that time. You would just need to make sure to have documentation showing that they denied you access (e.g. a screenshot of MDE advising the Phase 4 closure). I would also point out that this could also be applied to a similar dispute with another merchant where you are denied entry for an agreed upon service like a concert.

This is 100% correct and what I was saying all along. The customer wanted to use Disney's services (adr at restaurant) but Disney denied them access (by closure of the park). Of course the credit card company would side with the customer, not Disney. I know Disney would never charge someone anyway if they called to explain that Disney closed the park but I am surprised that people would think the customer could be held responsible.

This is 100% correct and what I was saying all along. The customer wanted to use Disney's services (adr at restaurant) but Disney denied them access (by closure of the park). Of course the credit card company would side with the customer, not Disney. I know Disney would never charge someone anyway if they called to explain that Disney closed the park but I am surprised that people would think the customer could be held responsible.

Disney didn't deny the access. They need to be able to get into the park, and the park only holds so many people. Totally up to the customer to make sure they are one of those guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter