Magic Bands

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that announcement that was quoted in a prior post doesn't say that they're retiring Magic Bands, it says they're retiring FREE Magic Bands. I assume they'll be quite happy to continue to sell them.
I was just going to write the same thing. The statement from Disney says retiring the free band option. If they will still let you buy them I would assume (I know, may be a mistake) they will still be using the technology, they just want money for them. We were able to add complimentary bands 3 days ago to our reservation for next August.

I justed booked CBR for June 2021 and it gave me the option of complimentary Magic Bands or $10-$20 for premium. So maybe Disney has changed their plans due to the high demand for Magic Bands.

Which MagicBand Is Your Favorite?
Choose Your MagicBands
Complete order by May 30, 2021 for pickup at check-in.

MagicBand Order for 4 Guests:
New! You can now choose from complimentary or special pre-order prices on premium MagicBands. Order up to 11 days before your expected arrival date to have your MagicBands shipped to your home. Special pricing is valid online only.

Last edited:
So if they're not giving out free magic bands BUT they're still going to do the online checkin where you go straight to your room - that indicates they'll still need some sort of mechanism to get you your key. I know they can do that with a smartphone app but, frankly, those suck. i have yet to get them to work properly both in Disney and in Vegas. (In fact the MGM Vegas app requires you to relogin to reacquire your key each time!)

That infers to me they have to at least send out RFID cards ahead of time?

Does this also mean we'll be fumbling for our smartphones trying to get into the park now too?

Eventually they'll get the tech worked out - and it'd be nice to use my apple watch to signal the door and get into the parks (although no app seems to support the AW yet) But this all seems to be charmless and... not magical.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that announcement that was quoted in a prior post doesn't say that they're retiring Magic Bands, it says they're retiring FREE Magic Bands. I assume they'll be quite happy to continue to sell them.
Yes, this.

I think they started giving the out to on-site guests because it was a way to promote new technology /get everyone interested. Now people want them. So -- from a business point of view -- why should they continue to give them away /pay shipping? Especially when return guests can keep using them for future trips? They've become popular enough that people are willing to pay for them.

As a Disney customer, do I like this? No, not 'specially, but I do understand it.

I think that what has happened here is that Disney
Bring back the Key to the World card and we will be super happy!!!!

Key to the World cards still exist. You can get one at the front desk anytime. It acts just like your Magic Band. Same tech. The only difference is it does not have the long range RFID chip in it. So no ride videos or seeing you name at IASW.

Steve

Key to the World cards still exist. You can get one at the front desk anytime. It acts just like your Magic Band. Same tech. The only difference is it does not have the long range RFID chip in it. So no ride videos or seeing you name at IASW.

Steve
we dont wear magicbands and would have it rolled up small in pocket or purse.

I have a reservation for the beginning of January. I went to the link and I ordered MagicBands for my party. The order confirmation said that there the total is $0.00. Do you think that could change and we have to pay for them afterall or do you think they will have to honor it because the confirmation says free?

I have a reservation for the beginning of January. I went to the link and I ordered MagicBands for my party. The order confirmation said that there the total is $0.00. Do you think that could change and we have to pay for them afterall or do you think they will have to honor it because the confirmation says free?

i think it will be honored. But I guess we will see!

Thank you. I was trying to figure out why everyone is saying that Magic Bands are being retired altogether. I read the same thing as you..."retiring FREE Magic Bands."

Was wondering the same. I asked my TA and she said something about ordering premiums now as they sell out. Not my question but good to know.
I saw the battery issue addressed. I have never used a MB when does it "start?" Is there a tab to pull or something? I am tempted to order the free ones now and just order premium later if I see one I like. Or does the discount on bands stop after you have already ordered for your trip? I know DH and I will be carrying kids and stuff so being able to tap instead of digging out a phone is super appealing.

. Little kids love them and feel powerful and more "in charge" with the ability to open the room door at the touch of their wrists. Mine would run ahead and argue about whose turn it was to open the door.

My kids were teens when Magic Bands rolled out and they DID THIS too! LOL My kids *really* get into Disney!!! Proud to be Disney Dorks!

I wonder if, eventually, someone will figure out how to get into a Magic Band and replace the battery. Would that even be possible?

Bring back the Key to the World card and we will be super happy!!!!
we dont wear magicbands and would have it rolled up small in pocket or purse.
It's been so long since we used the cards and we've gotten quite used to the ease of the bands. I literally forget how we managed the Key to the World cards. Did you have a way that made the cards as easy to use as having the band on your wrist? Since I probably won't buy new ones once the free ones I have run out of battery life, I'll be looking for ways/tips/hacks on how to have those cards handy. I wouldn't feel secure keeping it in my back pocket and pulling it out of my mini-wallet for every FP seems like a pain and a risk to accidentally dropping other important things from my wallet.
Maybe punching a whole in the card and attaching it to my belt loop or outside of my bag?
Interested in any tips!

There are 2 different RFID technologies in the magic bands. The passive RFID, no batteries needed, is similar to the RFID in the cards and the bottom of the drink cups and will work as long as it is active in your MDE and Disney is still using the cards. The active RFID, requires batteries, is what makes your name show up at the end of small world and other effects like that. This battery will weaken over time and then just stop. When the battery dies this is the part that will no longer function.
Wow! this is good to know. So my supply (I've saved every one) might last me a long time!! Yay! I don't care about my name showing up on Small World. What else would I be missing once the battery dies?

It's been so long since we used the cards and we've gotten quite used to the ease of the bands. I literally forget how we managed the Key to the World cards. Did you have a way that made the cards as easy to use as having the band on your wrist? Since I probably won't buy new ones once the free ones I have run out of battery life, I'll be looking for ways/tips/hacks on how to have those cards handy. I wouldn't feel secure keeping it in my back pocket and pulling it out of my mini-wallet for every FP seems like a pain and a risk to accidentally dropping other important things from my wallet.
Maybe punching a whole in the card and attaching it to my belt loop or outside of my bag?
Interested in any tips!
we would just slip them into a front pocket of my tiny purse and take out as needed! Same as magic bands because we roll then up small and have them in my bag we dont wear them ever. So the flat thin cards take way less space! we only beed them for park entry and maybe a fast pass occaisonally. We barely use FP so not like we take them out often during a day. we also use Disney gift cards for payment and not magic banda

Steve
My family booked a last minute trip to Wilderness Lodge and a Christmas party almost 3 years ago and expected a card to get into our room. Instead, they gave us a gray Magic Band after asking us if we brought one of our old ones. They told us they only used Magic Bands now for room keys.

we would just slip them into a front pocket of my tiny purse and take out as needed! Same as magic bands because we roll then up small and have them in my bag we dont wear them ever. So the flat thin cards take way less space! we only beed them for park entry and maybe a fast pass occaisonally. We barely use FP so not like we take them out often during a day. we also use Disney gift cards for payment and not magic banda
Ok thx. I pay with Disney GC too (❤️ that!) . I just use the MB to charge it to the room and then I go down to the front desk of hotel to pay the balance with the GC.

I'll stick with MBs, thank you. I'm a DL regular and although I love the Disneyland app & MaxPass, it's a pain in the rear to have to pull your phone out and scan it each time you enter the FP line. We actually use the little 'cardboard' ticket they give you since it's much easier to grab AND you don't have to worry about dropping and breaking it!!

If they're wanting to 'phase out' MBs in favor of smartphone usage, please oh pretty please let them develop an MDE App for the Apple watch!! Now THAT would be fantastic! The Starbucks app works pretty good for scanning, MDE could work in a similar way + have reminders of FP+ times.

My concern is that this is the beginning of the end and that we'll see Disney pushing use of smartphones more and more. I'm one of those people who uses my phone frequently in the parks to check wait times, mobile order my food, etc. so I don't mind having my phone on me and making use of it. I don't like relying on it for everything, though, and I find the magicbands really convenient because I don't have to get my phone out, unlock it, navigate to the right app, etc.--I just touch my wrist to the tap point and punch in my PIN and I'm done. I'd rather not be in a position where I have to either use my phone or go back to using a keycard/physical credit cards/what-have-you. My hope is that they'll continue on with a hybrid system that will allow use of either/both, since I've already got a handful of magicbands and I'm okay with losing the long range capabilities if I can still use them for tickets, keys, payments, etc.

I've just decided not to invest money in collecting (many) more magicbands, though, because I'm nervous that they'll announce a big phase-out after I've sunk money into it--otherwise this year I was looking at ordering half a dozen of them at once on ShopDisney so I could swap around pucks for fun color combos. I just struggle to justify the cost to myself when there's a chance they're on the way out. But I'm a bit of a sucker for accessories I can coordinate, so they'll probably still get money out of me for special edition bands here and there if they keep selling them.

Wow! this is good to know. So my supply (I've saved every one) might last me a long time!! Yay! I don't care about my name showing up on Small World. What else would I be missing once the battery dies?
I think a few of the newer rides don't have tap points for making sure the ride photo gets attached to your account--it relies on picking up the signal from a magicband. Kind of shortsighted design, if you ask me. I'm not positive which rides that includes, though, and if they're going to switch to relying on people using their phones they'll have to do something to make that work with shorter range signals....like maybe adding the missing tap points.
You can remove the puck of the newer style of magicband from the wristband; you just need a small screwdriver like you'd use to repair a pair of glasses. If you're not wearing the magicbands you don't need to carry the entire band around. Disney even sells keychains for the pucks if you'd rather attach it to your bag instead of wearing it on your wrist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter