Magic Bands 101

Thanks for this thread. Lots of great info.

Quick question. We're staying at CSR for 12 days. It is a split stay to take advantage of FD. Our tickets are tied to the FD reservation that starts Oct. 18. We have a room only reservation for the 14th through the 18th. We booked CRT and BBB for the 15th long before FD. I know before the bands we could use park passes up to three days before our reservation. Can we still do that with the magic bands?

Thanks

I wonder if it would be better to just bring those old tickets with me. Can they make them RFID? Do they need to be RFID now, for the water parks?

I am sure they could convert them to RFID. My advice would be to take the plus tickets with you and visit Guest Relations when you arrive. See what options they give you and make your decision then. Since you will not need those tickets for FP+ selections there is no harm in waiting until you arrive to sort it out.

Thanks for this thread. Lots of great info.

Quick question. We're staying at CSR for 12 days. It is a split stay to take advantage of FD. Our tickets are tied to the FD reservation that starts Oct. 18. We have a room only reservation for the 14th through the 18th. We booked CRT and BBB for the 15th long before FD. I know before the bands we could use park passes up to three days before our reservation. Can we still do that with the magic bands?

Thanks

I believe you can but do not know the details. Hopefully someone else has more information and will post it for you.

Uh oh. What happens if the Halloween party ticket confirmations are linked to MDE? I already did it, before I read this thread. It even let me make FP+ reservations for that date.

Uh oh. What happens if the Halloween party ticket confirmations are linked to MDE? I already did it, before I read this thread. It even let me make FP+ reservations for that date.

I did the same thing. The main issue being if you go to Magic Kingdom early and enter using a park pass. The system can be confused and ding you a day on your regular park pass. I asked customer service and was told to make sure I picked up paper tickets for the party and I should be okay. We also have Park Hopper passes so we won't lose a day on a park pass by accident. So if you have 1day 1 park tickets just make sure you don't scan your magic band when entering the park for the party and that you pick up and use your paper ticket for the Party! I hope that makes sense!

I did the same thing. The main issue being if you go to Magic Kingdom early and enter using a park pass. The system can be confused and ding you a day on your regular park pass. I asked customer service and was told to make sure I picked up paper tickets for the party and I should be okay. We also have Park Hopper passes so we won't lose a day on a park pass by accident. So if you have 1day 1 park tickets just make sure you don't scan your magic band when entering the park for the party and that you pick up and use your paper ticket for the Party! I hope that makes sense!

Ah, okay. :) Thanks so much for the info. We were planning on picking up the party tickets at Will Call anyway, and we have PAPs. So shouldn't be an issue. Whew! I had visions of it wiping out everything on MDE, LOL.

Sorry if this has already been answered. Can I get Magic Bands for our November 2013 trip yet.

Thanks for creating this excellent thread MouseMomx2!

Minor question, but I'm curious about how the bands will work with DDP. Will they have to scan all our bands at each meal or can they just scan mine, since DH & DS are linked to my profile?

Saw that they are rolling out the MB for French Quarters starting Sept 30th, i just called cuz we check in on the 29th. They said because its their HARD date to roll them out for that resort, we can not have the magic bands for this trip! :( Nor can we even pick FP+ because we won't have the MB. Double wammy! I thought i heard that the card would still have the FP+ on them. Well I'm one disappointed chic. :sad2:

Sorry if this has already been answered. Can I get Magic Bands for our November 2013 trip yet.

Not yet. Only guests with check ins on or before 10/31 have access to the system at this time. Those of us with November check ins :-)wave2:) will have to wait a bit longer. Keep checking your MDE account and these boards. Once November goes live you'll definitely see something posted on the DIS! :)

Thanks for creating this excellent thread MouseMomx2!

Minor question, but I'm curious about how the bands will work with DDP. Will they have to scan all our bands at each meal or can they just scan mine, since DH & DS are linked to my profile?

You're welcome. :) As far as the DDP, all of your credits are pooled so they should only have to scan one band. The same was true when KTTW cards were use. Disclaimer: We never use the DDP so perhaps another poster who does can verify the above.

Saw that they are rolling out the MB for French Quarters starting Sept 30th, i just called cuz we check in on the 29th. They said because its their HARD date to roll them out for that resort, we can not have the magic bands for this trip! :( Nor can we even pick FP+ because we won't have the MB. Double wammy! I thought i heard that the card would still have the FP+ on them. Well I'm one disappointed chic. :sad2:

Eventually you will be able to use a card for the FP+s, allowing those guests who don't want to wear the bands to opt out. During testing, however, you need to be checking into a testing resort to get access to the bands and FP+. I know it stinks, but technically you are checking into a non-testing resort since it goes live the next day. Is there any way you could cancel your first night and book it somewhere else that is testing (Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Art of Animation, etc.) and then check into POFQ on the 30th? Or perhaps you could move your stay completely to POR since they are testing. Just a couple of options. The Legacy (old, paper ticket style) FP machines are still in the parks so you will still be able to get FPs on your trip.

Not a dumb question at all! Yes you can. Table service restaurants have small, hand-held devices that are used for payment right at the table. Servers will use it to scan your Magic Band which will put the charge on your account.

We just got back, and TS restaurants were the only places we had trouble using our bands. The servers themselves said they were frustrated with the process. The wi-fi connection seems to be lacking in some of the TS restaurants (e.g. BOG, Coral Reef, Jiko), so they have been having issues. We had our KTTW cards as back-up, so we just used those. But just FYI...some TS locations are having problems scanning the bands.

We are going in January... My parents have a package and then 3 of us have another room ore cruise. Will we who only have room
Stays get a magic band? I want one!!!! And I am
Doing a cruise

We are going in January... My parents have a package and then 3 of us have another room ore cruise. Will we who only have room
Stays get a magic band? I want one!!!! And I am
Doing a cruise

The cruise has nothing to do with Magic Bands. They are for WDW stays and it doesn't matter if you are doing a package or a room-only reservation.

Right now the program is in a testing phase. Disney has not released any information on what will happen once the testing phase is over. Currently testing goes through 10/31 and is only available to guests checking in on or before that date. That said, all resorts will be added to the system by 10/25 so signs are good that the program will continue into November and beyond.

Once the new system is fully implemented you will be able to customize your Magic Bands and make FP+ selections 60 days before check in. That means you should start checking your My Disney Experience account at that time. Right now they are not working with the 60 days in advance timeline and there is no word on when they will. Therefore you may not have access to the system at that point. If you don't, just keep checking your account until you have access. Once you have access the "Manage Magic Bands" link will change to "Personalize Magic Bands". At that time you will be able to customize your Magic Bands and make FP+ selections.

Question: Can one member of a family go to the resort for check-in while the other members are elsewhere? Will all bands be activated because they are connected, or do all bands have to be activated at the resort check-in counter?

Thanks!

Question: Can one member of a family go to the resort for check-in while the other members are elsewhere? Will all bands be activated because they are connected, or do all bands have to be activated at the resort check-in counter?

Thanks!

Bands are active when they are shipped. They are tied to each person's MDE profile, not to the reservation.

Bands are active when they are shipped. They are tied to each person's MDE profile, not to the reservation.

So if I check in alone, my family can still use their bands to get in the room without going to the front desk, right?

I feel like such a newbie about these magic bands which is funny since everyone tends to ask my mom and I for Disney advice. :rotfl: Does anyone know if it matters if the reservation was made through Disney? I have all the resort reservations and dining reservations linked into MDE. I also have my AP linked. We will be doing a split stay at 3 different resorts the first week of December and haven't received any information about the magic bands. Is it too soon for them to be available?

So if I check in alone, my family can still use their bands to get in the room without going to the front desk, right?

Yes. Of course while things are still in the testing phase there have been some glitches. If worst comes to worst and your family's bands don't work you can stop by the front desk later.

I feel like such a newbie about these magic bands which is funny since everyone tends to ask my mom and I for Disney advice. :rotfl: Does anyone know if it matters if the reservation was made through Disney? I have all the resort reservations and dining reservations linked into MDE. I also have my AP linked. We will be doing a split stay at 3 different resorts the first week of December and haven't received any information about the magic bands. Is it too soon for them to be available?

Yes, it s too soon. The system is only available for stays beginning on or before 10/31/13. Hopefully that will be extended to November check ins soon. Ultimately you will be given access to the system 60 days before your check in date, but during testing they are opening things up in stages. Start checking your MDE account at 60 days out and then keep checking until the system opens for your dates.

Yes, it s too soon. The system is only available for stays beginning on or before 10/31/13. Hopefully that will be extended to November check ins soon. Ultimately you will be given access to the system 60 days before your check in date, but during testing they are opening things up in stages. Start checking your MDE account at 60 days out and then keep checking until the system opens for your dates.

:sad1: That's what I was thinking. This waiting is driving me nuts. I can't wait to give them a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter