Luminous thoughts

It was a big "MEH" for me...Too much narration and the music selection did not inspire me. Also, I prefer the "original" versions of Disney songs as most of us would know them, and would rather not hear someone else trying to make the songs "their own"...Can we have Illuminations back?
That was my thought when we were walking out Friday night. It was okay but getting rid of Illuminations was such an unnecessary unforced error.

It felt like a fountain show (Las Vegas?) with some music I didn't care for and fireworks. I wouldn't bother to see it again. I liked Harmonious - visually amazing and the music was very upbeat and fun. I'd find myself singing it afterwards on the way out. I hadn't read online reviews before I saw it last Friday night. We were in the park the night it debuted but too tired to stay. It's a big dud for me - I'd put it at the bottom of any nighttime show I've seen at Epcot since it opened.

Finally got to watch it a few times in our trip, and agree it feels like a definite downgrade compared to Harmonious. Fountains and lights are not as tiny/bland as they appear on video at least, but the music... meh. Space ship earth light utilization is very little where it's off most of the show.

And that big barge in the middle of the lagoon is there all day too. It's not as big as harmonious' was, but I don't know, there's still something there that's an eye sore during the day...

Pretty disappointing, but at least much better than epcot foreverl

I didn’t particularly like it, and I thought they were trying too hard with the words. I’ll give it another chance, because I do love fireworks. Too many water features for me.

I was actually pleased by this show, far better than the previous 2 and you don't have to be at a railing to enjoy it, most of it is visible above people's heads. I watched from 3 places last week, one at the rail, two standing back.

I found plenty of original music and story, and less Disney movie music than I expected.
It is a tour of emotions in life, and yes there is a sad section. I can see that bothering people.
But I liked that it was filled with emotion, and not raucous "Friend like me" stuff. It reminds me of Wishes, which I already miss.

We saw it live before Christmas and liked it even better than when we watched on YT. I was also surprised to see the barges out there all day. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen. I like the original music. Lots of fireworks. The water features are more visible in person.

I also spent about 30 minutes in the new World Celebration area. At night they have music, mostly instrumental, with lights and SE lighting up. I really enjoyed it. Between the 2 I felt they incorporated the feel of Illuminations. I think my daughter said that before the holidays the were playing The Promise, which is my all time favorite. I did not hear it, but they were playing some holiday songs. Play The Promise at World Celebration and it would be perfect.

We watched Luminous for the first time on Saturday night and were so relieved! We really enjoyed it and think it is a worthy replacement for Illuminations. Whereas we disliked Harmonius from the first viewing, and tried a few more times hoping it would grow on us (it never did, for many reasons - all of which have been mentioned numerous times by others in other Harmonius threads), I think that I’ll come to love Luminous as much or more than Illuminations. Big thumbs up from us!

We really enjoyed it and think it is a worthy replacement for Illuminations.
Agreed. I really loved Luminous. Like Illuminations it’s a message that never gets old and is done in a beautiful way.

Harmonious was ok. Just wasn’t good enough to come close to excusing the taco stargate. The downside of the show was it felt saccharine insincere IP. The visuals were solid, that’s about it. Luminous definitely has heart that feels authentic.

Agreed. I really loved Luminous. Like Illuminations it’s a message that never gets old and is done in a beautiful way.

Harmonious was ok. Just wasn’t good enough to come close to excusing the taco stargate. The downside of the show was it felt saccharine insincere IP. The visuals were solid, that’s about it. Luminous definitely has heart that feels authentic.
Harmonious Tacos & Stargate.jpg

Luminous was great. I think people calling it depressing or preachy aren’t willing to be vulnerable to the emotional message of the show. Honestly these days it’s like watching a bunch of high school kids complain about Romeo and Juliet being boring and depressing.

I'll likely give it another shot when we go to the fest this weekend. I still feel that Harmonious felt like a fun party and had me singing the music long after. Luminous felt like a drag.

Everyone is different. My favorite is Epcot Forever because I love the children's voices, and the music from my Figment begins the show. 😂

I didn’t particularly like it, and I thought they were trying too hard with the words. I’ll give it another chance, because I do love fireworks. Too many water features for me.
OK, we saw it on Friday and I was enthralled. This time, I found a place by a railing for my ECV, and I had an excellent view, except for a tree which blocked the high fireworks, and surprisingly to me, I didn’t miss them. I listened to the words, and for me, the lyrics are the weakest part of the experience.

From my perspective this time, the water features were just right, and the reflections were perfect!

Today we made a reservation for a pontoon boat view in March. I can’t wait to see it again.

IMG_3035.jpeg

has anyone watched from La Hacienda de San Angel? I think we want dinner there anyway so it would be great if that works out.

Visually stunning. Started off great. Ended great. A little…slow though? Almost dare I say depressing in the middle section? Lots of odd choices of IP music to include.Also had a MK on water vibe. But again the fireworks and the fountains so beautiful. Lovely show. But why can’t we have drones like Paris??

Wouldn’t it be amazing if it was logistically possible to bring Illuminations back on special occasions. Yeah yeah I know it’s never coming back!
Agree with this. Loved the beginning and the end. Music in the middle was an odd choice. Fireworks are amazing.

I loved Illuminations but the globe part was too long and boring.

After watching Harmonious Live on Disney+, I grew to appreciate what went into the show and loved it from that point on.

Overall, I am happy with any fireworks show at EPCOT. The proximity to the pyrotechnics really makes them pop and being a fireworks junkie, I am happy they have 2 great shows at WDW.

So it's true that the barges stay out on the lagoon 24/7 now? Thought one of their marketing pushes regarding this new show was that the barges would NOT be out there during the day?

So it's true that the barges stay out on the lagoon 24/7 now? Thought one of their marketing pushes regarding this new show was that the barges would NOT be out there during the day?
No, they come out in the evening.

has anyone watched from La Hacienda de San Angel? I think we want dinner there anyway so it would be great if that works out.

We have watched fireworks a few times from La hacienda. They dim the lights and play the music. One time the sound didn't work and that was not good. If you are right by the windows it's a great show and you can see quite a bit. However, it is luck of the seating and timing to be those few tables. If you are back a bit you will have to stagger your chairs from the people in front of you and there is definitely a reflection from the room on the windows so it kind of hampers what you seeing when your back from the windows. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter