Lugging around a Nikon D40

this is where your new hubby comes in...you let HIM tote it..:rotfl2:

Seriously, I bought a D40 a year ago and took it on our May 07 trip. Luckily we had a stroller, so it "rode" alot. But I wouldn't trade the photos I took with it for a million dollars.

I am planning to use Photopass primarily on our upcoming April trip, but will tote the D40 again in December. I just bought a bag at WM large enough to carry the camera, and the battery pack stuff. Also has some compartments for my keys and wallet. I consider it my purse so that I'm not toting 2 things!

all of that said, it's an awesome camera, I highly recommend it....

I also have a Nikon D40 that I love. I do have a medium sized bag that I use for traveling (with the camera, extra lens, extra battery, memory cards and charger), but, I only carry my camera in a holster bag that is shaped like the camera when I go out and about. I can carry it across my body and it really doesn't get in the way. I use a 55-200 lens (extra purchase, but a great all around zoom for the zoo and Disney) so there isn't a need to carry all the extras while I'm out. The kit lens that comes with the D40 is fine for indoor shots, but a nice zoom is a must for Disney! The holster does have room for the extra battery and my cell phone. I never understood why people carry all the extras like chargers and cables when they go out.:confused3 You don't need the extras until you get back to the room.

We just got back. I had my new rebel xti and a 1.8 50mm fixed lens (small- not like a huge zoom lens). I bought 3 camera bags at circuit city and tried them all out at home. We decided on this one which will likely be biggern than what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-Explor...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202421984&sr=8-1

There was one that was smaller if I didn't carry the extra lens but I found it hard to get the camera out quickly. Also, the neck strap wasn't very comfy. This one is pretty comfy! So think about that when you try them.

Best wishes on your wedding!

That Tamrac one looks pretty good. I don't know.

I just think I'm too used to throwing my little Casio point & shoot in my pocket... argh!

LOL at least you arent going to lug around what I am this weekend :)

251982761-L.jpg

Kramer222,

I found a link for my Case logic camera bag...

http://www.ebags.com/case_logic/slr...id=57077&rlid=detail_ai&rcode=423146268549909
I don't know if what I just "cut and pasted" is "clickable", if not, you can always just copyit:) I'm much better with a camera than the computer:rotfl2:

I love this bag because it is light and you can unzip it and take the camera out while you are wearing the bag on or across your shoulder without having to twist the bag around. Lowepro also makes a line of bags like this too. My little Lowepro bag for my tiny Sony video camera (uses a hard drive not tape or mini dvd...love it) also unzips backwards!!

I really like this bag too...In fact, I'm going to order it now!! The size is great, reverse zipper and the info given actually tells what cameras fit...D40 is one of them.
http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=97840&Subcategory_Link=Details_MROCK_97840 It looks like it has a raincover that comes out of the camera bag. My Lowepro bags have that too. It is like a little shower cap that you can pull out of a hidden compartment whenever you need it. I don't think I'd carry it like a backpack, but I guess it might be an option.

Hope this helps!! I really have a gadget and bag problem as well as a Disney one:rotfl: Happy shopping and please consider an addition zoom...you'll love it!

I got the D40 in the summer before my Alaska trip. It's a fabulous camera and fit perfectly in the Tamrac Explorer 1 bag even with the extra lens and flash. I have loads of great shots and love the camera very much.

Even though the camera is light, it did get heavy on full day hikes. It was because of this I decided to leave it at home when I went to WDW last month. I've been in Disney many times and have pictures of every attraction. I couldn't see myself lugging the D40 around. There are rides in Universal I would need to put the bag in a locker before I could do. I have a Canon sd700 I took instead. It's a fabulous p&s and did very well. I missed the D40 because I was more limited with a point and shoot but couldn't imagine how exhausted I would be had I lugged the thing around.

My conclusions:
If you are going for the first time, or don't plan another trip for a few years or are not a ride commando-take the D40. Otherwise, don't.

I have an Olympus E-500 SLR and love it. just not sure I'd leave it around while on rides..

You absolutely shouldn't! A few people lost cameras and camcorders while I was there. A cm I spoke to said she thinks someone is paying $70 to get into the park then stealing several thousand $ worth of electronics at a time. It's not like they check you when leaving. I wouldn't take the chance.:confused3

On my first few trips to Disney I lugged around my Canon SLR with a telephoto zoom and a wide angle lens- sure, I got some great photos but after a while it seemed like I was spending more time worrying about getting photos and worrying about the camera gear than having fun.
Once the good compact cameras started coming out, I started bringing those to the park instead of the big expensive camera, and I really enjoyed the freedom it gave me!
Right now I have a Canon Rebel ( similar to your Nikon D40), and I will be leaving it at home for my upcoming trip- I will be using my FujiFinepix F30, which has a 3x zoom and can fit in my pants pocket- and it takes really great photos as well!

A handy tip for any camera (or anything else you might want to protect from a sudden shower) is to bring along a plastic bag. Keep it folded up and tucked into a pocket and you'll never know its there. But if you happen across a sudden rain shower (or decide to ride Kali River Rapids) you'll have some protection handy.

Forgot to bring a bag? Stop by any shop and they'll be happy to give you one if you ask nicely.

I got myself a Lowepro Slingshot 100 for my Rebel XTI and I love it. It was easy to carry and easy access to the camera. There was also enough room in it for me to carry my glasses, a small wallet, mints, tissues and such. Plus the Lowepro comes with a nylon cover to put over it if it should rain. :thumbsup2

I got myself a Lowepro Slingshot 100 for my Rebel XTI and I love it. It was easy to carry and easy access to the camera. There was also enough room in it for me to carry my glasses, a small wallet, mints, tissues and such. Plus the Lowepro comes with a nylon cover to put over it if it should rain. :thumbsup2

I agree completely! :thumbsup2

I got the Slingshot 200 for my D80 and like it so much that this Christmas I bought my niece a D40 and bought her the 100 Slingshot to take to Europe this spring and to bring with her on our Disney trip this summer. Even on her size 0 frame, she can carry that bag without any trouble and finds it perfectly comfortable.

I would bring the camera with one all purpose lens. That way you don't have to carry extra stuff. just the camera around your neck. I would get a optech neck strap instaed of using the one that comes with the camera. If you must carry other lenses, I like the lowpro slingshot. I have the 200. Great bag goes over one shoulder and swing to the front for quick access.
Having said all that I think if you are a new dslr user, I might stick with apoint and shoot camera. It's smaller and you don't have to fool around with the different settings. You want to have fun at the parks not messing around with your camera because your pictures came out bad.

I'm a professional photographer by trade and I'm going to enjoy a nice point 'n shoot next month at the park. 2 trips ago I brought all of my gear, last time the family convinced me to take the point 'n shoot and it was so freeing. This time, it's a better point 'n shoot and the Nikons stay home again ;)

As a professional photographer, I'm sure you get this question all the time - but what point & shoot are you bringing? Maybe we should do the same... I want to be free!

As a professional photographer, I'm sure you get this question all the time - but what point & shoot are you bringing? Maybe we should do the same... I want to be free!
I'd love to know, too! I am so on the fence between a D80 and a P&S (Canon S5IS)

I brought my SLR for the first time in Dec. I have the Canon 30d w/a pretty large lens..the new 28-300 w/vibration control...anyway, it was heavy to lug around my neck for sure!!! I bought the canon backpack and it is great protection for the camera/lenses and for lugging all the stuff you need at the parks... you can find it at www.amazon.com and just type canon backpack ;)

I posed this question to the photography forum a while back and ended up getting the Lowepro Slingshot as well. Plenty of room for 3 lenses, chargers, cords, cell phone, point and shoot. But, its sort of heavy with all that in it, so I also bought this:
http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=32&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=

I love it! I can carry my camera with the 70-300 lens attached, and carry a smaller lens (well protected!) in my backpack or little shoulder bag. I also feel comfy putting it in my backpack in that case. The case is neoprene and isn't meant to protect from drops, but it will keep it safe from nicks, scratches, dust. Pretty much weightless at that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter