Luck and Hard Work - March 2019 W.I.S.H. Goals

With St. Patrick's Day coming on Sunday, have you had a moment of Leprechaun luck this week?

Hmmm I was going to say no - but then I remembered my Mum slipping me some extra $$ to help get my car serviced, 2 tires and leaking coolant fixed - I have to book it in tomorrow. She always helps out when she knows things are tight for us - so that is lucky :shamrock:

Hi. I'm back to the land of the living. The cold I thought I was getting last week finally manifested and Tues/Weds I was at home coughing and sniffling and feeling sorry for myself. I felt pretty solid when I got up this morning, at least until I got on the bus when the cough started up again. I am at work but I think it'll be a short day, at the very least I'll get a couple things done.

Good/Bad foods... I think for me the "bad" foods are the foods that trigger over indulgence, like sugar. There's never just a little bit of sugar, because that first little bit triggers the addiction monster and becomes more and more and more.

Luck this week... well, that's a tough one since I've been holed up at home. Yesterday I did get a delivery of clothing I ordered on-line and I like it and it fits properly, so I'll count that as luck since you never know ordering from just a picture. On the not-so-lucky side, I'm not going to be able to go to WDW in April after all, the most I can manage is a long Easter weekend. When I thought I was going I ordered these Minnie ears off of Esty, so I guess now they'll just have to be my Easter Bonnet instead.

upload_2019-3-14_7-35-31.png

I am not sure I have had any luck this week. yesterday I ended up feeling really bad as the day went on. I swore I had what DD had. After drinking about 40 oz of ice cold water i felt better. This happened a few years ago too. I actually crave the ice water. For some reason it makes me feel better. Last time I was put on some type of medicine that really helped. I think they thought I had an infection in my stomach. I need to head back to the dr soon then my physical appointment at the beginning of May.

I was just thinking at my book club get together this week how lucky I am to be retired, in good health and able to afford a comfortable lifestyle. I mentioned book club because eight of us are going to the beach together for a week this June and we did some planning afterwards. And I love my book club! Dear friends, strong, smart women. We have the best discussions-this month it was A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. So I am also lucky to have the luxury of reading for pleasure without all the distractions that were there when I was working.

Thank you, PollyannaMom, for the reminder that I have so much to grateful for!

:drinking:Hello all,
:welcome: Short-notice just means extra excitement!

Topic Thursday -

I've read that classifying foods as "good" or "bad" is actually detrimental to an overall healthy diet. - What do you think?
Hmm... I've had some REALLY *GOOD* donuts... that are probably hard to justify nutritionally... ;P

So, woohoos from yesterday, I used the plateau as an excuse to change my weigh-in day, and as of Monday the scale had moved again (finally!!!) The weather is looking beautiful for next week, and it's gorgeous here today...

As for leprechaun luck... I agree that there is more mischief afoot than anything else. My resident pixie (DD15, with an alphabet of mental health diagnoses) has been giving me a run for my money the last week or so... So that is something we are watching closely. Luckily, she is very good-natured most of the time, but she gets into mischief (think toddler) when she's like this. Yesterday she decided to hide in one of the cubbies of the entertainment center... Luckily she's not as small as she used to be, and we were able to spot her pretty easily... so there you have it, luck and mischief all in one adorable package. Depending on how she's doing next week, I may have to cancel my road trip and just do local day-hikes :( but we're watching her closely, hoping for the best, and if I can't go next week, I'll rework the plan and take her along when she has Easter break.

But, on the theme of hunting for treasures (leprechaun or otherwise,) I am have been out collecting free loot today! :tiptoe: I had a coupon from Bath and Body works for a free small product, so I finally settled on a small lotion I can take in my trip bag. Then two doors down, the craft store had sent me a $10 reward, so I got new paint brushes for me and a pair of Bob Ross socks to set aside for Christmas for SIL. Kohl's gave me a $5 reward, so I got 3 packs of peanut M&Ms to either give away on the trail or throw in Easter baskets, then finally I stopped off at the grocery to pick up the free 16oz bottle of water I won from their monopoly game, as well as more free game pieces. None of the new pieces were winners, but the codes on the second-chance site are adding up, and as of right now, I can get 2 free donuts (BADBADBAD, I said it!!!) a loaf of French bread (not much better) or one of the other small food prizes... or I could just enter the sweepstakes... win or lose, $1000 is calorie-free, right? :rolleyes1 Anyway, that is $26ish in free stuff, so that's KINDA like leprechaun luck...

Anyway, my pixie just got home, so I'm off to chase her around for the next few hours (picture that scene from the Gnomemobile…) And if I can trick her into getting into the car, I also have $18 in Staples rewards to spend... more trail candy???

PS- Happy Pi day! Get you some (neither bad nor good) pizza!!!

PS- Happy Pi day!

Glad to see a fellow celebrant!

Have you played with this site yet?

https://www.angio.net/pi/

You put in a string of numbers - your birthday, phone number, etc. - and it tells you at what position in Pi your numbers show up.

I think I've had more Leprechaun mischief than luck in my classroom. :upsidedow Perhaps they are starting to get spring fever.

I forget what grade/subject you teach - do you do anything for Pi Day?

Good morning, everyone! And Happy "Foodie Friday" - anyone have a recipe to share?

As a working mom with teenage kids, I often look for quick and easy meals. So this recipe is another slow cooker recipe.

Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
Put 1.5 lbs boneless chicken in slow cooker and top with 1.5 cups store bought chunky salsa, 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained), 1 bag frozen corn kernels, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon ground cumin. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours OR low for 8 hours. Shred chicken and add 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro. Serve on brown rice and top with shredded cheese, shredded lettuce and pico de gallo.

As a working mom with teenage kids, I often look for quick and easy meals. So this recipe is another slow cooker recipe.

Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
Put 1.5 lbs boneless chicken in slow cooker and top with 1.5 cups store bought chunky salsa, 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained), 1 bag frozen corn kernels, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon ground cumin. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours OR low for 8 hours. Shred chicken and add 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro. Serve on brown rice and top with shredded cheese, shredded lettuce and pico de gallo.

Oooh, that looks good!

@MickeyMom76, I made your Chicken Taco Chili and we loved it! I thought I would freeze some but we liked it so much we ended up eating it for lunch several days. Anyway, everyone go back to pg4 for the recipe. You will love it!

Here’s one of my favorite recipes from when I was working. Comes together in minutes and is done in a half hour.

Jambalaya

1 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 T tomato paste
1 tsp dried basil
Dash red pepper (optional)
6 oz andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 2oz jar diced pimentos, drained
1 bay leaf
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and next 9 ingredients (onion through bay leaf). Cook until vegetables are tender (about 15-20 minutes) stirring frequently. Stir in cooked rice and shrimp and cook an additional 6 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Makes 4 very generous 2 cup servings.

317 calories, 2.9g sat fat, 34.7g carbs, 22.5g protein

If you have kids that don’t care for andouille sausage you can substitute turkey smoked sausage.

"Foodie Friday"

I thought I would share something I had for breakfast this week - please know I am not trying to promote this website - its just that at the moment it is what I am using to guide my own eating.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-mushroom-cheese-frittata

Hey all, hope your week went well. It is a rainy Saturday morning for me - tonight I am off for some laughs with my boys to see a couple of comedians at the Brisbane Comedy Festival. So plans for this morning are - dying my hair to hide all that grey! also trying to get some house work done.

I thought I would share something I had for breakfast this week - please know I am not trying to promote this website - its just that at the moment it is what I am using to guide my own eating.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-mushroom-cheese-frittata

Hey all, hope your week went well. It is a rainy Saturday morning for me - tonight I am off for some laughs with my boys to see a couple of comedians at the Brisbane Comedy Festival. So plans for this morning are - dying my hair to hide all that grey! also trying to get some house work done.
Looks delicious! And I’m always looking for websites for new ideas. Skinnytaste.com is one of my favorites.

Happy "Whatever Weekend" and Happy St. Patrick's Day wishes for tomorrow!!

We pretended it was spring here in New England today - because it was sunny and over 40° :rotfl:. DS and I went shopping, and there were still a few big snow banks in the parking lots where the plows dumped it, but it has melted in our yard!

Here’s one of my favorite recipes from when I was working. Comes together in minutes and is done in a half hour.

Jambalaya

@sjrec I'm glad you enjoyed the chili. We just enjoyed your jambalaya. I only knew it as a New Orleans-type dish that my husband would occasionally get at a restaurant. And it's usually pretty spicy, which I'm not a fan of. So I've never had jambalaya. But I decided that I've had fun trying new recipes, maybe I should also try different types of food. The salmon I tried last month was good. So this was my new food for this month. I made it without the spicy flavors...so no red pepper flakes for me and I used the turkey sausage. We all enjoyed it. And don't worry, my husband added red pepper and tabasco sauce to his ;)

@sjrec I'm glad you enjoyed the chili. We just enjoyed your jambalaya. I only knew it as a New Orleans-type dish that my husband would occasionally get at a restaurant. And it's usually pretty spicy, which I'm not a fan of. So I've never had jambalaya. But I decided that I've had fun trying new recipes, maybe I should also try different types of food. The salmon I tried last month was good. So this was my new food for this month. I made it without the spicy flavors...so no red pepper flakes for me and I used the turkey sausage. We all enjoyed it. And don't worry, my husband added red pepper and tabasco sauce to his ;)
So glad you liked it! I omit the red pepper as well.

Hello Dearies!!!

I'm all packed and hopeful for my road trip!!! If all goes well, I'll be leaving around 8am tomorrow, as soon as the last kid heads off for school (normally she doesn't leave 'til 8:45, but she has strings rehearsal tomorrow morning, so that gets me out 45 minutes earlier! Hooray!!! (I hope...)

The van is packed and filled up with gas, the route is planned, and I've registered with the local clubs so that the walks will "count" toward the 14 state challenge... so now we just wait and see if tomorrow is a good day, daughter-wise... She's been alternating between telling me she wants me to go have an adventure, or being clinging and babyish... I keep telling myself that I'll be reachable by phone every minute, and I can be home in less than 12 hours at any point if things go crazy... but I'm still nervous. This is only the second time I've ever left both kids home with H for more than a day, and the first time was during last summer , so I didn't have to worry about school complications. I was only 3ish hours away, and as far as I know they all just ate junk food and stared at screens for the whole weekend I was gone... which is fine. And they'll probably do the same thing this time, but the added variables of school-day morning routines, morning rehearsals, DD11 has a field trip that requires an evening pick-up, and she new pants before then because she's outgrown her performance pants AGAIN... so H will have to take her shopping... I worry.

Logically, I know this is good for them. Even though I made it extra-easy by making sure outfits are planned, meals are planned and ingredients are already in the fridge ready to go... it's good for them to practice mommy-free time... all of them... especially H... but I worry all the same.

Motivation Monday:

6832-luck.jpg

648942b1449e9b338c76e94a434eb856.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!