Luau at the Poly

Momager

Mouseketeer
Our first night in Disney we will have the Deluxe Dining Plan (we're switching resorts after that, and going to the regular Dining Plan). I wanted to do a special meal that day and was thinking about doing the Luau at the Poly. We've never been, but almost everything I read about it is negative.... Can anyone tell me, HONESTLY, is it a good fun show? Hows the food??

Background -
We will be going in late October. It will be my husband, myself and our 3 daughters, 14, 13 & 4. We're already doing HDDR later on in the trip with my father arrives as well as CRT.

If you're totally against the Luau - What are your other suggestions??

I'm not totally against the luau, I just find the sight lines can be quite obstructed if you aren't the first table in your section and the first act is really corny. We were seated at the second table back in Cat. 1 and my DS (7 at the time), could barely see. The food was fine, I thought. I don't think it holds a candle to HDDR in terms of a show (I'm not a huge fan of the HDDR food though, but the show makes up for it). If you are looking for a special, 2 TS credit meal, I would consider Cali Grill as well. Certainly no "show", per se, but the food is much better and you can see the fireworks from MK, EP and DHS from there. The view from the restaurant is stunning.

I say go and make your own opinion about it everyone is different. We enjoyed it when we went a few years ago.

Our first night in Disney we will have the Deluxe Dining Plan (we're switching resorts after that, and going to the regular Dining Plan). I wanted to do a special meal that day and was thinking about doing the Luau at the Poly. We've never been, but almost everything I read about it is negative.... Can anyone tell me, HONESTLY, is it a good fun show? Hows the food??

Background -
We will be going in late October. It will be my husband, myself and our 3 daughters, 14, 13 & 4. We're already doing HDDR later on in the trip with my father arrives as well as CRT.

If you're totally against the Luau - What are your other suggestions??

I think the luau is fun. The food is tasty and abundant and the show will keep you entertained. I do not know which table you get if using the dining plan, but hopefully, the four older people can find an arrangement that allows your little one to get a good view.

If you haven't been I would give it a try for yourself and see what you think. We have been several times and I've always enjoyed it. My husband doesn't like the food (he's picky and couldn't find much he enjoyed); so for us it became "not worth it". But it's bottomless beer and wine and the rolls are sweet and yummy. I think everyone should try it at least once as it's a real "Disney" experience. The setting is beautiful and the show is fairly well done. The fire dancing at the end is especially cool. It's a very relaxing environment and it's cool eating outside. There is also a part of the show where kids can go up and participate. I think it's a great way to start a vacation!

The biggest negative for doing SOA on the dining plan is you can only select category 2. That can put you fairly far back. I think it is a better experience when you are one of the first couple of tables to the stage.

And now for a dissenting opinion...

If you have been to a more authentic luau or may do so at some point, then you should skip Spirit of Aloha. The food they serve has almost no relation to what's served at a real luau. The show has an unnecessary and corny storyline (some would say cringe-worthy) and it drags until they get to the good stuff (fire dancers). They have some very talented performers and they deserve a better showcase.

If you'll never go to a good luau (and some of the ones in Hawaii are pretty bad, too), you'll probably have a good time. I LOVE Hawaiian food and culture, so I admit to being hyper-critical regarding this dinner show. It just isn't befitting a resort where some of the accommodations have 4-digit per night pricing.

There are a number of YouTube videos of the show. Watch and form your own opinion. Personally, I think it is a very poor use of 2 TS credits. But, clearly, some pepole enjoy it, since it has been around forever.

We get Cat 1 seating and book first so for at least the last two times we were in the very front tables. Personally I wouldn’t be pleased with Cat 2.

I think the food is bad and the show is bad and way too long. But I did it in 2005. The Hoop de Loo or whatever it's called at Fort Wildnerness is a million times better. Great show and great food.

I have been to the Aloha Show twice over a period of about 15 years, most recently about 5 years ago. The show wasn't as good the second time. The food is to my liking, served family style, tasty, a good variety and abundant. Both times we did benefit from being on the first row, so I can not say anything about the sight lines, etc.

I have said this previously when others have asked about going to the luau. If you will ever likely go to Hawaii and attend a luau there, then skip this one. If not, then give it a try.

As for the comparison to HDDR. I liked the food at both and the shows are both corny and predictable. That said, lighten up and enjoy.

Myself and my then teen daughter loved the show. Food isn't exactly memorable but I also don't remember thinking it was bad either. I've never done HDDR, so I can't compare. But if you have teen girls, trust me, they are going to get crushes on the handsome guys. :-) I found it quite entertaining, even if the storyline was a bit cheesy. I'd do it again now that my son is old enough to enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter