Lotsa Fun at DLR this week - Some random observations

LMAUA is definitely as solid as Alice and Toad IMO. As I said a cut above Monsters Inc. Not as good as HM. I would rank it a little above Nemo Subs - another ride that I think is solid and got a bad rap because it was so highly anticipated. I would put LMAUA on the same level of quality as BLAB and Jungle Cruise - solid rides but not specactular. ....
While it's probably a discussion similar to Vanilla vs. Chocolate (as if there is even a discussion, hello, chocolate! ;) ), I have to disagree regarding BLAB and JC. I think both are more visually and mentally appealing than LMAUA. I enjoy LMAUA and was VERY excited about it, but I don't think it compares to the last two mentioned, IMO.

You can use comp FP's for non FP attractions?
Also curious about this....
If they are the ones that say, "At any attraction," yes. I think the small print excludes TSMM, but I have not had one in a long time to please don't quote me on that. :goodvibes

My theory is that they are reducing the number of fastpass tickets while they are doing the comp fastpasses.
I think what is happening at Space Mtn is guests rush to Star Tours for a fastpass. The FPs run out. So, as long as they are standing right there, they go to Space Mountain and get a FP, which consequently runs out much sooner. The flood at ST is affecting the flow at SM.
- Dreams

HG thanks for the observations.

We are on our way into the parks today! :woohoo:

What would your ST strategy be for offside staying, AP holders with no MM?

I have 3 mornings to visit, 2 of which are non-MM days.

I want to maximize FP collection and get a ST return time before 8pm
I would get ST FP right at opening on the non-MM days. Return time should be within 2 hours.

With ST it seems everyone is getting FP for it which makes the other FP rides fastpass times earlier. We had no problem with getting the ST FP 1st and then doing our normal collection of FPs through out the morning.

At rope drop the right sidewalk will be for those riding Star Tours at opening... it will feed right into the queue.

To get Star Tours FP just stay with the normal rope drop crowd.
I would agree with Andy. :wizard:

If they are the ones that say, "At any attraction," yes. I think the small print excludes TSMM, but I have not had one in a long time to please don't quote me on that. :goodvibes
Now I wish I had taken the 10 seconds to get a photo. My sole knowledge was the GCH CM who clearly told me "any ride - FP or non-DP - except WOC". :teacher:

Now I wish I had taken the 10 seconds to get a photo. My sole knowledge was the GCH CM who clearly told me "any ride - FP or non-DP - except WOC". :teacher:

I didn't say onsite or closely look at the resort guests FPs. But since this promotional offer began the website has this wording.....

"Each of these Disney's FASTPASS tickets will allow a guest one (1) entrance to the Disney's FASTPASS return line of any Disney's FASTPASS attraction"

Then it goes onto say also the LMAUA.

ETA, never noticed anyone using the special resort guest passes anywhere else but did see a lady calmly protesting when she couldn't use it at WoC.

Great report Hydroguy!

Can you provide a bit more detail about seeing WoC and then the later Fantasmic?
If WoC starts at 9pm, it will end at 9:25?? Then the Fireworks will start at 9:30. Do we need to really hustle out of the WoC area and over to the gates of DL? Is there a best route to take (sounds like there's few routes in CA these days).

What time should we expect to get through the gates at DL? Should the fireworks have ended so that the train is running? OR does the train run during the fireworks? So, we then hop on the train to NOS and avoid trying to walk in that rush of people leaving the fireworks, leaving the first Fantasmic, and trying to get into late Fantasmic.

I'd like to try it this year. Last year we did the Fireworks, late Fantasmic combo and it was very difficult to get from the Hub over to Rivers of America. They held the crowd back and by the time we got there we had a standing spot at the light poles -- all the sit down was gone.

While it's probably a discussion similar to Vanilla vs. Chocolate (as if there is even a discussion, hello, chocolate! ;) ), I have to disagree regarding BLAB and JC. I think both are more visually and mentally appealing than LMAUA. I enjoy LMAUA and was VERY excited about it, but I don't think it compares to the last two mentioned, IMO.

My take on LMAUA is a little different and the same.

I didn't go expecting it to be thrilling like Indy or Space, those that did I think made a mistake.

I wasn't comparing it to POTC or JC. I was looking forward to riding through another classic film. Not a sort of spinoff ride like Buzz or TSMM.

I found it much better than Peter Pan, Mr. Toad ect... It shows how much further the movie ride throughs have evolved. Great AAs. Scenes that you get to slowly look at that are full of lots of details which is why I went more than one time.

I only didn't like one thing, but won't share to spoil it for others. I'm curious to see how the WDW version turns out as they tend to get a better g2 version or a cheaper g1.1 version in many cases.

FWIW as an offsite guest I was able to ride before 10am despite reports that this wasn't allowed or happening. I was in the short and constantly progressing queue sometime around 9:45 to 9:50.

Great report Hydroguy!

Can you provide a bit more detail about seeing WoC and then the later Fantasmic?
If WoC starts at 9pm, it will end at 9:25?? Then the Fireworks will start at 9:30. Do we need to really hustle out of the WoC area and over to the gates of DL? Is there a best route to take (sounds like there's few routes in CA these days).

I did the same things a week ago. But didn't bother on the train because I knew it would be closed during the fireworks.

I watched purposely at the back of WoC's Paradise Park because when it ends a huge crowd leaves and it's worse since you can only go the long way around GRR. This would be the clockwise way when exiting DCA. But by beating the pack out it worked fine.

When I walked into DL just kept right until the crossing through the Main Street crowd at the end of MS. Then went through the Adventureland entrance but made an immediate right over to the Frontierland entrance. This is right after going under the Adventureland sign. Then kept right of the exiting 1st F! watchers.

I was there early enough that I considered hopping on POTC, but instead just sad on the bit of curb behind the lightowers.

Great report Hydroguy!

What time should we expect to get through the gates at DL? Should the fireworks have ended so that the train is running? OR does the train run during the fireworks? So, we then hop on the train to NOS and avoid trying to walk in that rush of people leaving the fireworks, leaving the first Fantasmic, and trying to get into late Fantasmic.

I'd like to try it this year. Last year we did the Fireworks, late Fantasmic combo and it was very difficult to get from the Hub over to Rivers of America. They held the crowd back and by the time we got there we had a standing spot at the light poles -- all the sit down was gone.

I did the same things a week ago. But didn't bother on the train because I knew it would be closed during the fireworks.

I watched purposely at the back of WoC's Paradise Park because when it ends a huge crowd leaves and it's worse since you can only go the long way around GRR. This would be the clockwise way when exiting DCA. But by beating the pack out it worked fine.

When I walked into DL just kept right until the crossing through the Main Street crowd at the end of MS. Then went through the Adventureland entrance but made an immediate right over to the Frontierland entrance. This is right after going under the Adventureland sign. Then kept right of the exiting 1st F! watchers.

I was there early enough that I considered hopping on POTC, but instead just sad on the bit of curb behind the lightowers.
Ski pretty much gives you the rundown. If your group is small enough it is pretty easy to make it to NOS for F! and to get a seat. Like I said I was close to center - about as good as you could get. But I was alone. My kids decided to go ride Splash. There was enough room at 10PM that if I had my full group of four that night we would have easily gotten a seat at 10PM.

I made it into DL after Magical ended (at 9:45). I came in the gate at about 9:50PM. WOC lasts 26 minutes. I diverted to my GCH room to get a sweater because it was little cool. In the end I did not use the sweater. By the time I got to DL and in the gate it was 9:50.

The walkway coming out of WOC past GRR (and the GCH entrance) is much more crowded now that the construction walls were up and 95% of the WOC traffic was going that way. It slowed things a lot getting out of DCA.

o I have never ridden Matterhorn both tracks back-to-back before. Yesterday/Saturday we did it during MM. We can now say with certainty that we prefer the Tomorrowland side.

I so agree with you - there is a lot more thrill to the Tomorrowland side. This is particularly true when you ride the two sides back to back during MM. I heard Bob Gurr speak - one of the designers of the Matterhorn and the bobsleds- and he mentioned that the ride gets faster as it warms up (not sure if he meant the tracks, grease, or outdoor temperature). One afternoon, my daughter and I were forced to ride the Fantasyland side, despite lining up on the Tomorrowland side. We were pleasantly surprised at our ride - it had a lot more zip than during our MM rides. Gurr also mentioned that the replacement bobsleds did not fit the tracks as well as the originals and that is why the rider gets so bounced around inside the vehicle. I always come off of that ride bruised. Let us hope the next replacement of bobsleds fixes this problem

Another question for HG...( you really do need chief disboard scout badge!) noted in your MM discussion that you mentioned you were let in to the park around 6.45am. That is early. What time did you arrive at the gates?

Or to ask this another way round - what time should we be at the security for a 7am MM? My usual plan would be about 6.25.

We were there the same dates as you! Plus Sunday and Monday, which were CONSIDERABLY busier than Thurs - Sat. Funny you said that about WofC because it's our favorite thing there now. My three girls were even really impressed and loved it. We got the rail behind the yellow fire hydrant, and it was a really good spot. I was touched watching it...you know how I mean, lol. Glad you had a good time. We did too and had the best visit we've had!!

If any of you were there last Thursday for the MM, my kids and I were the ones who opened the park. My 11 year old asked a CM if we could do it, and they said yes. I was with my 3 kids and their cousin.

Hydroguy you lucky lucky man. Great little report. Great insight. Wish I could be there as well.

So Peter Pan or ST fp first? :confused3

(Remember I don't have MM.)

My kids, ages 7 and 9 are telling me PP first because it's always first, but in this case I'm just not sure! :scared1:
How many total in your group? If you have another adult I would suggest sending everyone to PP and one adult to ST to get FPs. If you are there early - as in you are at the gates 30 minute before opening.

Sorry, is your day that you are asking about a Mon/Wed/Fri non-MM day for everyone? Because that changes things.

Another question for HG...( you really do need chief disboard scout badge!) noted in your MM discussion that you mentioned you were let in to the park around 6.45am. That is early. What time did you arrive at the gates?

Or to ask this another way round - what time should we be at the security for a 7am MM? My usual plan would be about 6.25.

Sorry, I got the Friday non-MM day and the Saturday MM day confused! :crazy2:

On Friday they let us in at 7:45AM to Main Street. On Saturday MM they let us in at 7AM sharp. I remember this now because I had the issue with getting my pass and did not get to the gate personally until 6:55AM - my DNe13 saved me a spot.

How many total in your group? If you have another adult I would suggest sending everyone to PP and one adult to ST to get FPs. If you are there early - as in you are at the gates 30 minute before opening.

Sorry, is your day that you are asking about a Mon/Wed/Fri non-MM day for everyone? Because that changes things.

There are two adults, two kids but we all want to ride PP. Is it worth sacrificing a favorite ride to keep the time schedule intact???

This is for tomorrow, Wed, and Fri. Our plan will be different for Thurs since we don't have MM.

And yes, we'll be there at opening. My family has been the first riders of the day on Peter Pan at least three times. :cool1:. We know how to get there early and walk with a purpose! :thumbsup2

My thought is to head to FL and knockout PP. Hopefully we will be off it within 10 min and then can get a FP for either SM or ST.

If ST's return time is at or past the 2 hr mark, I will probably get a SM fp first. It should still have a 45ish min return time. When my next fp window opens, I will get a ST fp. I think that uses my fp time better.

But if ST's return time is still short, I'll get that first.

Thoughts?

I'll be sure to report what I find works best on Hound's ST super thread.

There are two adults, two kids but we all want to ride PP. Is it worth sacrificing a favorite ride to keep the time schedule intact???

This is for tomorrow, Wed, and Fri. Our plan will be different for Thurs since we don't have MM.

And yes, we'll be there at opening. My family has been the first riders of the day on Peter Pan at least three times. :cool1:. We know how to get there early and walk with a purpose! :thumbsup2

My thought is to head to FL and knockout PP. Hopefully we will be off it within 10 min and then can get a FP for either SM or ST.

If ST's return time is at or past the 2 hr mark, I will probably get a SM fp first. It should still have a 45ish min return time. When my next fp window opens, I will get a ST fp. I think that uses my fp time better.

But if ST's return time is still short, I'll get that first.

Thoughts?

I'll be sure to report what I find works best on Hound's ST super thread.
If it was me I would send the fastest walker (in my family that is me :)) to ST with all entrance tickets and everyone else to PP. The runner gets the ST FPs and power walks to join the group at PP and then you all ride. You will probably be looking at a 5-10 minute PP line but it will be worth it if you want to ride ST.

:wizard:

If it was me I would send the fastest walker (in my family that is me :)) to ST with all entrance tickets and everyone else to PP. The runner gets the ST FPs and power walks to join the group at PP and then you all ride. You will probably be looking at a 5-10 minute PP line but it will be worth it if you want to ride ST.

:wizard:

Thanks again!

I'll get my power walking legs in gear and give it a shot tomorrow! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter