Lost Points

sillykid

Earning My Ears
New Here,
Just wondering have many of you lost points over the years due to miss banking or some other reason? Maybe you were unable to go last minute or just could not use them all that year. I know that you all probably had full intention to use them, but you may have just made a mistake.

Not on your life would I let that happen. DH tells everyone I manage our DVC points better than I keep our joint checking account!! I take that as a compliment because any lost points are vacations that could have been...that is a statement that makes me too sad to even consider.

Once you get the hang of planning at the appropriate times and scheduling far enough in advance...it truely becomes second nature.

Thank you for asking because it gave me the opportunity to pat myself on the back for the things I do really well......:cheer2:

Not on your life would I let that happen. DH tells everyone I manage our DVC points better than I keep our joint checking account!! I take that as a compliment because any lost points are vacations that could have been...that is a statement that makes me too sad to even consider.

Once you get the hang of planning at the appropriate times and scheduling far enough in advance...it truely becomes second nature.

Thank you for asking because it gave me the opportunity to pat myself on the back for the things I do really well......:cheer2:

I agree...You need to stay on top of it and plan ahead and you should never loose points.

I currently have 8 points that will likely expire. They are banked from a prior year and are in holding. I doubt I'll find a way to use them before 9/30 ... but who knows?

If DVC's reservation system allocated "oldest points to first-up reservation" -- this wouldn't have happened. I made the classical mistake of booking my reservations out of chronological order. :crazy:

I currently have 8 points that will likely expire. They are banked from a prior year and are in holding. I doubt I'll find a way to use them before 9/30 ... but who knows?

If DVC's reservation system allocated "oldest points to first-up reservation" -- this wouldn't have happened. I made the classical mistake of booking my reservations out of chronological order. :crazy:

Are you able to transfer them.

Are you able to transfer them.
I don't believe banked/holding points are eligible for transfer to others.

I'm not beating myself up over the 8 points as they were originally part of a 320 point bonus we received by doing an add-on on the very last day of our UY ... providing a cache of '06 points plus developer points. I think we did well using/banking our original 175 points + 160 new points + 312 freebie points. ;)

I doubt if anyone will admit loosing points just like no one will admit that they didn't use all of their Disney Dining Credits.

In reality it happens more than you would think.

We talked to a DVC couple last April while at the park and they mentioned that they had not been on vacation in 3 years. I asked them if they rented their points out. I almost died when they said that "all that stuff is just too much bother, I still don't understand that banking borrowing thing either."
I made a comment like, "you don't let your points expire, do you?" Their answer, "why not, there our points!" :confused3

Not me ! I have been a member since February 3, 1992, and would never loose a point, ever....LOL

Whatchu talkn 'bout Willis?????

I thought the points didn't come out of your account until they were used? I have booked things not in chronological order - am I in trouble?

Can you tell I'm new at this?

We talked to a DVC couple last April while at the park and they mentioned that they had not been on vacation in 3 years. I asked them if they rented their points out. I almost died when they said that "all that stuff is just too much bother, I still don't understand that banking borrowing thing either."
I made a comment like, "you don't let your points expire, do you?" Their answer, "why not, there our points!"
We had a similar conversation with two different couples at the Annual Owners meeting of a nearby traditional timeshare. The first couple asked us, "Have you actually used your week here?" We assumed an emphasis on the last word ("here") and responded, "No." They appeared relieved -- admitting they hadn't either in several years of ownership. We asked, "So, where have you gone instead?" They looked puzzled ... then clarified their original question, "Have you actually used your week here?" Oh, my - they banked their week every year with RCI and had never booked anything. Twenty minutes later we experienced déjà vu: same conversation, different couple ...

I thought the points didn't come out of your account until they were used? I have booked things not in chronological order - am I in trouble?
Points are assigned to each reservation at the moment you book it -- consuming your oldest points first. My situation went something like this:
  • Call #1: Book May '08 using banked points from prior year.
  • Call #2, some months later: Book a new reservation for April '08. I'm out of banked points, so the new reservation used current year points.
  • Call #3, placed more than 31 days from the May reservation -- but w/in 30 days of the April reservation: Cancel the May reservation. I now have a bucket of banked points returned to my account while current year points are being consumed by the April reservation. MS attempted a manual swap of points ... which instead left me with a bucket of holding points as the change was inside the 30-day window of the April reservation. (MS said nothing about the holding points until I phoned later to book a new reservation and learned I had 216 points in holding ... arg.)
  • Call #4: Was able to book GC Hotel using all but the last 8 points in holding.
Are you in trouble? Not necessarily -- but do be VERY CAREFUL if you need to cancel or modify your reservations.

I think I've got it. One more question if anyone knows. I currently have a one bedroom booked for Nov 30 - Dec 4 and am on a wait list for a studio for the same time. I plan on replacing the one bedroom w/ the studio if it comes through. Do they use the same points I used to book the original reservation (which were 2007 points that I banked) or will they make a new ressie using 2008 points and I get back my 2007 points or will they take my 2007 points for the new ressie.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Due to a very last minute change in a reservation due to a death in the family I almost lost 12 points. Fortunately, I already had a trip planned for 3 months later in a standard view studio at BWV. For the four nights to upgrade to preferred was exactly 12 points. So better view and no wasted points.

I doubt if anyone will admit loosing points just like no one will admit that they didn't use all of their Disney Dining Credits.
I've already admitted to the strong potential of wasting 8 DVC points this year. And after giving it some thought, I have more "lost timeshare" to confess:
  • In Aug 2004 we booked 7 nights at Pompano Beach, FL using an RCI Bonus week. While we where there we phoned DVC MS to inquire about "last minute" availability at VB. We snagged two nights at VB ... knowing that we were taking a "vacation" in the middle of a vacation. We let our unit at Pompano Beach sit empty for the two nights we were away. (Then lost the rest of the week due to hurricane evacuation upon our return. Oh, well.)
  • In Feb 2006 we booked 3 "throw-away" nights at Lake Chelan, WA with no intention of using them. This was to satisfy a "7-night minimum stay" rule in one of our other timeshare systems. We offered the Lake Chelan reservation to friends ... no one wanted it.
  • In Sept 2001 we booked an RCI Bonus week in Coffs Harbour, AU ... knowing we wouldn't arrive until the 3rd day of the reservation.
  • In Dec 2006 we booked a gorgeous 2BR unit at the Four Seasons Club Aviara through an II exchange ... and only used 3 nights.
  • I'm pretty sure I've allowed 2 RCI Bonus weeks to die on the vine. One of the two replaced the time lost in 2004 from hurricane evacuation.
  • This year RCI has stopped accepting our week in South Africa. I paid the 2008 dues and have no plans for the unit. Not likely to visit ... although I'd like to ... ??
And don't even get me started on the many times I've booked (and enjoyed) units larger than our needs ... :rotfl:

I've already admitted to the strong potential of wasting 8 DVC points this year. And after giving it some thought, I have more "lost timeshare" to confess:
  • In Aug 2004 we booked 7 nights at Pompano Beach, FL using an RCI Bonus week. While we where there we phoned DVC MS to inquire about "last minute" availability at VB. We snagged two nights at VB ... knowing that we were taking a "vacation" in the middle of a vacation. We let our unit at Pompano Beach sit empty for the two nights we were away. (Then lost the rest of the week due to hurricane evacuation upon our return. Oh, well.)
  • In Feb 2006 we booked 3 "throw-away" nights at Lake Chelan, WA with no intention of using them. This was to satisfy a "7-night minimum stay" rule in one of our other timeshare systems. We offered the Lake Chelan reservation to friends ... no one wanted it.
  • In Sept 2001 we booked an RCI Bonus week in Coffs Harbour, AU ... knowing we wouldn't arrive until the 3rd day of the reservation.
  • In Dec 2006 we booked a gorgeous 2BR unit at the Four Seasons Club Aviara through an II exchange ... and only used 3 nights.
  • I'm pretty sure I've allowed 2 RCI Bonus weeks to die on the vine. One of the two replaced the time lost in 2004 from hurricane evacuation.
  • This year RCI has stopped accepting our week in South Africa. I paid the 2008 dues and have no plans for the unit. Not likely to visit ... although I'd like to ... ??
And don't even get me started on the many times I've booked (and enjoyed) units larger than our needs ... :rotfl:

Sounds like you could use a friend...

I'll be your friend. :love:

Any time you want to give away points for free, think of your friends first! :)

For my very 1st DVC transaction...

DH and I decided to invite Sis and the kids to Disney during the '06 Fall break. We then found out that the Fall break was going to be for 3 days including Columbus Day, and that Spring Break was the last week in April, and 2 weeks past Easter. (Great Weather, great crowds, etc.)

We had already reserved part of our October '06 trip by borrowing '07 points, so we had about 29 points hanging out that had to be used by 1/31/07. Arrrgh!

So anyway, I had always wanted to visit Savannah, but had never really had a good enough excuse to go there. So....

Hilton Head at Thanksgiving is wonderful!

We don't even see that as a screw up with our points. We are going back to Hilton Head this year for Thanksgiving weekend.

Since our trip was 200 points, we needed all of our '06 and '07 points to take our big family vacation, so because of the really great Hilton Head trip, we ended up borrowing 29 '08 points for our big family Spring Break trip in '07.

OK, that was muddy.

We should have:

Banked 100 '06
Used 100 '07
to make April '07 Reservation for 2 bedroom BWV for 5 days for 200 points
Had a clean slate with all 100 points intact starting February '08.

Instead - we:

Borrowed 28 '07 Points
Banked 99 '06 points
Used 29 points at HH in November '06
Used the 99 banked '06 points for April '07 BWV trip
Used the 72 points left in the '07 use year for April '07 BWV trip
Borrowed 29 points from '08 for April '07 BWV trip
That left us with 71 points to use in '08 -- which we used for another trip.

It all worked out...it was just a lot more complicated. I think you'll find that will usually be the case if you can be creative in using your boo boo.

Would you enjoy my 2BR unit in South Africa? Near Cape Town, easy walk to the beach ... check-in: 8/16/2008.

Is that in the new Kidani building? I didn't think that they were taking reservations yet. ;)

Have you tried selling them on here? I was surprised to be able to sell a measly 8 pts. I had in holding last fall. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter