Lost faith

I did change it to PayPal. I found out the name associated with their email was a totally different name on the PayPal acct which struck me as very strange. I have tried contacting them but have gotten no response what so ever

Thank you for explaining the holding acct. hopefully I find someone who legit. I think I will only accept Paypal from now on.

Just so you know going forward, Paypal is convenient but if there is a problem with a rental they will not help you.

Not that I know about renting out points but I would as others suggest, change the name on the ressie ASAP! Trust your gut, something isn't right.

Can you see if someone on DIS or DVC would want to extend their stay or make a new visit? I would just cut ties with the others, you have done your share of contacting and they have not done theirs, they lose.

I have cut ties with this person. I just hope another member doesn't get caught in their lies. I am trying to rent it out this week. If not then I plan on canceling the ressie and dealing with renting out later. I just hope I can get back into the holiday spirit after this sour experience

But it's better than a check. Quicker, and won't bounce.

True but there are a lot of horror stories out there about PayPal reversing charges following a complaint or even locking accounts entirely.

I can't speak to the frequency of these actions, nor to the circumstances which lead up to them. But it seems if you're unlucky enough to hook-up with a renter who is bound and determined to cause trouble, complaints filed with PayPal--embellished or fraudulent--could lead to just as many headaches.

Sorry chipdale, but try to remember that things could have come out much worse than they are. I know easier said than done but I hope you understand what I mean. I have a 4yo too and I know I am living the holidays through him right now, luckily for them at this age, everything is magical. Your 4yos smile should be your smile, it will be there whether there are 5 million presents this year or 5. Sending you positive hopes that you get those points rented.

True but there are a lot of horror stories out there about PayPal reversing charges following a complaint or even locking accounts entirely.

I can't speak to the frequency of these actions, nor to the circumstances which lead up to them. But it seems if you're unlucky enough to hook-up with a renter who is bound and determined to cause trouble, complaints filed with PayPal--embellished or fraudulent--could lead to just as many headaches.

Okay, good to know. I was thinking that a person couldn't "stop payment" on paypal, but I guess basically, they can.

Thanks.

I'm not a DVC owner, but we are renting points from some wonderful owners for our upcoming trip that we found on the rent/trade board. You may want to ask other members if you can see their contracts they send out. We had to make an initial deposit within 3 days of signing and then have additional payment due dates with the final payment due 2 months prior to checkin. I realize your's was a shorter time frame (we rented 11 months out), but if you choose to rent in the future sample contracts may help. I hope this bad apple doesn't poison you from renting in the future!

OP, follow Crisi's advice (on the first page). Change the name on the reservation to yours. Tell them they no longer have a reservation unless they FEDEX the money immediately by Midnight Tuesday. Cashier check only. Then take a little bit to change the name back if you like (make them sweat a little).

Or cancel it today, put your points into holding and make another reservation before the end of your UY.

Whatever you do, change the name today!!

Thanks everyone for all your recommendations and advice. I sent an email to the original person letting her know her reservation was cancelled due to lack of payment. I was lucky and I found someone who wanted to use the current ressie (yeah!!!!). I am going to be extra careful in the future and I will be doing contracts. Thanks for the advice!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks everyone for all your recommendations and advice. I sent an email to the original person letting her know her reservation was cancelled due to lack of payment. I was lucky and I found someone who wanted to use the current ressie (yeah!!!!). I am going to be extra careful in the future and I will be doing contracts. Thanks for the advice!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Congratulations! This really is a typical Disney story.....it started out wonderful, turned ugly, then along came someone to save the day, and they all lived happily ever after. :)

Merry Christmas!

Yes it was. Now I can make sure my daughter has a Merry Christmas. Seeing her happy and healthy is all I want

I'm glad things worked out for OP, but there was a small point I wanted to make. It's great that people point to using contracts in these transactions as a solution, but even if they had a contract in this case, would it be legally enforceable? Or would it even be worth the money to pursue legally?

The more important idea to take away from this discussion is to have a set payment schedule that includes full payment before the 31-day cutoff. If the OP had a payment schedule that included full payment at 45 days out, they could have easily put the points back on the market before they went into holding. Luckily she found another taker for the reservation.

The contracts are not the be all and end all of point rentals, they merely just set expectations on both sides.

That is such great news! I am always happy to hear when these things end well!!!

Enjoy your Holidays!

great news! congrats!:cool1::thumbsup2

I'm glad it worked out for you.
I was sad that I missed this.
I would have rented your reservation in a second.
You probably could have gotten the full price for it.
I am going through major Disney Christmas Withdrawal.

I always get payment in full at 60 days out for rentals.
I also put in the contract that they forfeit their deposit if I don't get the balance paid at 60 days out.

That's a good idea. Did you make the contract yourself? Do you accept a % for the deposit? Trying to get some ideas for next time.

Christmas is my favorite time to go down. My entire house is decorated with Disney for the holidays.

I'm really glad.

Now...countdown to the "my owner ripped me off and cancelled my reservation" thread appearing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter